Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. T

3.0 l #6 cylinder loss

Hi folks. A little help if you please. My girlfriend has a 2001 Ranger with the 3.0 l automatic. Soon after she purchased it the original engine went to pieces. Took it to a local garage, and they SUPPOSEDLY installed a NEW 3.0. 2 days after warranty expired, #6 cylinder piston disintegrated...
  2. T

Head Replacement

9) TIE WIRE!!!! Power steering pump and AC unit are in the way big time. Lash those badboys outta the way. 10) There is a how to on this site.... Look under the "useful threads". I did mine about 9 months ago, and I used this "how to". Don't remember exactly where it was at. REMEBER...there are...
  3. T

Head Replacement

1) Minimum of 2 days undivided attention if you are doing this yourself. 2) 2-3 cans of PB Blaster. Exhaust manifold bolts as well as wye pipe will require much attention and soak time to get em out with out rounding or twisting off. When I replaced the heads on my 92 xlt, driver's side...
  4. T

90TM, 93TM head questions

Thanks Arco777. Rock Auto wants $280 apiece for remans. + $75 core ea. + $25 shipping ea. This J&C Enterprises I found wants $398 pr. new aftermarket castings, free shipping and 30 days to return cores with no charge. $150 after 30. (Core return is on them also as long as you use box replacement...
  5. T

90TM, 93TM head questions

At it again... Just a few questions for folks with more knowledge than me. 1) Coolant loss in the '92 is finally getting to point gonna have to fix. Antifreeze finally showing up in exhaust; oil clean, no blowback through radiator. Any chance it is only head gaskets? Previously replaced LIM...
  6. T

Anime

1st gen. sub enclosure Bought a stock 1st gen sub enclosure from Anime. Fast shipping, good packing. Nice clean piece. Would definitely deal with again. Thanks Anime. tomjt714
  7. T

Wanted 91-94 stock sub enclosure

Thanks Anime! Done quite a bit of research on amps, and the one persistent complaint about the Hifonics GLX 1000.1D is that the RMS is overated @ 475W. Everthing I've researched puts output around 230W RMS @ 4 ohms. I'll keep looking.
  8. T

Wanted 91-94 stock sub enclosure

Hey all. Anybody out there have a stock 1st gen. sub enclosure they would part with? Got a '92 xlt with premium JBL sound, but someone previously removed the sub and enclosure. Amp still there, but that will go too. Have an Infinity 8" Reference to put in enclosure, haven't decided on amp yet...
  9. T

headjob redux

Please read n help if possible Part 3 of headjob. Found coolant leak at rear water jacket, passenger side LIM. Replaced gaskets from LIM up. Everything seemed fine. Old girl even ran I-79 for 16 miles @ 100+. No problems. Did final backflush 2day, put antifreeze/water 50% mix in, freeze plug...
  10. T

headjob redux

WaaaHOOOO.:D It WAS the lower intake manifold gasket. Now, does anyone out there have a good pic of just where to apply the RTV? Haynes does a piss poor job of detailing it. Also, does anyone know of a conversion factor from inch-lbs. to foot-lbs. I'm tore up and can't get anywhere til 2morrow...
  11. T

headjob redux

headjob Okay folks, I'll Just lay it out. Bought a '92 XLT, 4.0, 5 sp. Body beautiful. Stopped for fuel on way home, saw coolant leakage dripping down from back of engine. Ooooch. Wasn't that bad at time. Did the super radiator flush and leakage is medium steady. So, know it's either head...
  12. T

'94 power seat problems

Hey folks, just wondered if anyone has had the 60 amp fuse blow repeatedly on the power seats of a first gen. explorer. At 3 bucks a pop it gets kinda hard on the pocketbook when you've no clue as to what the problem could be. Wiring harness appears to be intact to both seats, so I am assuming...
  13. T

body help

Thank you for the info Spdrcer34. I don't know that my pocketbook can afford a stud welder, but I'll see what they run. Also found a few threads on on the body side moulding removal in the BODY repair forum which I didn't realize was there. Still a newbie to the site, live and learn. Apologies...
  14. T

body help

Got a few questions for the bodymen out there: 1) Is there any way to remove the body side mouldings from a '94 XLT in a manner to reuse them? Would a heat gun work? If not, does anyone know of a place to purchase OEM replacements? 2) Vehicle was purchased with medium/minor dents in both rear...
  15. T

spark plug help

Problem solved!?!? After being pointed in the right direction (O2 sensor) and employing the highly expensive and complicated paperclip code reader I did in fact get an O2 fault code. After careful observation of said O2 sensor it was found to be in extreme unscrewed position, could have removed...
  16. T

spark plug help

Thanks for the tips, especially for the code scanner. Been looking for an Obiwan Kenobi I for some time, all that I can find are OBD II with I capability for 200 bones. TOO much.:rolleyes: Can't even find a I version on Ebay. I'll get the 25.00 version and see what's up. Again, thanks for the...
  17. T

spark plug help

Anyone have any clues as to why the 1,2 and 3 cylinders of 4.0L carbon the plugs while the 4, 5 and 6 cylinders are perfect? Doesn't seem to affect performance or mileage, but I seriously hate check engine light being on. I've checked/cleaned MAF and IAT, replaced TPS, no help. Possible fuel...
  18. T

Engine dies when cold

Try cleaning the MAF sensor probes. Worked wonders for my '94 4.0L. There is a link to an excellent document pg. #8, 'List of useful Explorer & Ranger "How To" threads detailing the procedure. I have it saved on my computer in .doc format, so it would probably be much easier to find the link and...
  19. T

'94 Explorer, 5sp.

By the way, the plastic cushion for the gear stop was shrapnel. Computer had definitely lost sight of the gear position. Used a piece of 1/4" ID lawnmower fuel line for the fixer.:thumbsup:
  20. T

'94 Explorer, 5sp.

Yeeeeehaaaawwww We've got the 4 back in 4X4! The shift motor rebuild is a very, very easy and money saving project. Proceeded as outlined in Brain's rebuild link, and walla....4 wheel drive. The pictures provided were a great help along with the text. Thank you very much. I 'd gone to my local...
  21. T

'94 Explorer, 5sp.

'94 5 sp. troubles Appreciate the shift motor rebuild thread Tbars4. Hats off to you Brain! Excellent how 2 write up. I'll be tackling that chore shortly, let u know how it turns out. Also appreciate the pointers on the shift motor removal from all. Thanx for not letting me make a horses ass...
  22. T

'94 Explorer, 5sp.

1994 5 sp. problems Thanks for the info. Bled slave again, used nearly 10 oz. brake fluid. This time I also filled the resevoir to the step without the baffle inserted. This may have been some of the problem from the start...improper fluid level. Virgin Ford owner. Lifelong bow-tie man.:D Also...
  23. T

'94 Explorer, 5sp.

Hi folks! Just registered and have already found a sackful of great info. Thanx for the IAC and MAF cleaning tips and 4X4 troubleshooting. Now, can anyone tell me how to identify between the Mazda and Mitsubishi 5 sp. tranny? The lubricants are specific to each, would like to verify that what's...
Back