Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. Scenery

Scenery

Scenery shots
  2. R

New Ford Parts --- FastPartsNetwork request and answer thread by tcmcphail

Need intake hose for '97 Explorer 4.0 SOHC Torrie, could you let me know the price including shipping for a replacement intake hose between my MAF & throttle body? The part number on the hose is F77X-9R504-BC. Thanks, Robert
  3. R

4405 Tcase Takes Time to Decide to Engage, then Doesn't Let Go.

Gerald, My only four thoughts are the ones you already mentioned (TOD relay and GEM), shorting wire and internal transfer case problem. Since the clutch releases when you disconnect the TC harness, that to me at least partially eliminates the TOD relay. At first I was thinking that the relay...
  4. R

Track Times

March 03, 2000 at Firebird Raceway. '97 2-door, 4x4 SOHC, 50K miles, completely stock. R/T = .763 (.500 light) 60' = 2.342 330' = 6.808 1/8 = 10.487 MPH = 66.66 1000 = 13.665 1/4 = 16.374 MPH = 83.04
  5. R

Bumper Brackets

If you are talking about the ones I designed then yes you will either need to bend the brackets since the frame horns are offset by about an inch or do like I did and make up the difference with some thick washers. Here is my front bumper bracket:
  6. R

ball joint job at sears...

My '97 didn't need any parts to get it correctly aligned by Sears after I replaced my ball joints.
  7. R

'98 Sport Gear Shifter

Depending on how much adjustment your cable has left, you might be able to adjust it back in to the proper location. Once you get the metal cover off from the bottom of the dash under the steering wheel, there is a small plastic gear-looking adjuster (about 1/2" in diameter). When you turn it...
  8. R

32's or 33's and more...

Correct, the front bumper brackets from kit # 853 don't come close to fitting. The brackets from kit # 883 will work. The steering extension from kit # 853 works without modification, the steering extension from kit # 883 will require grinding since there is a metal nub on the steering shaft...
  9. R

32's or 33's and more...

I created the template.
  10. R

32" Spare fits

Except the measured distance from the rear differential to the rear bumper is the same as my neighbor's '96 4-door.
  11. R

Transmission Slip

Pretty low miles for needing a transmission already although it is exibiting one of the signs that mine did before it needed rebuilt. Last summer, when accelerating lightly, I could hear the RPMs rev up just a bit before upshifting. Mine also had a harsh clunk when slowing down to a stop and a...
  12. R

32's or 33's and more...

Not for the '95-'97 Explorers. The less expensive route is to use PA kit # 853. It comes with the correct steering extension. The steering extension from kit # 883 only works on '98 and up Explorers. To order the extension (if you can convince PA to sell it to you) runs about $90 with shipping.
  13. R

32" Spare fits

A 32" won't fit with a round-tube hidden hitch (even when let down to 10 PSI) nor with a Borla exhaust. No matter how much air I let out of a 31, it would not go up. As it is, I had to beat the metal shield between the spare and differential and position my 30x9.5 just right to get it all the...
  14. R

3.93 Gears

The calculated gear ratio to keep the same RPMs/vehicle speed is 4.24. Your choices are 4.10, 4.56 and there is a ratio in between for 2WD only (no front gears available). I think it is a 4.27. Since you have a 2WD, I would go with the 4.27 since it will keep the same feel in acceleration that...
  15. R

Speedo Gear.. What do I need...

Your V.S.S. is on your transfer case (or transmission tailshaft if 2WD), not your rear differential. Ford didn't begin using the RABS (which is on your rear differential) until '98. This is what you are looking for (the V.S.S. is the white object in the picture):
  16. R

5R55E trans. OD lite & stalling engine

When the AutoXray first came out, it was only capable of reading generic OBD-II codes. Automotive manufacturers however have an entire assortment of MFG specific OBD-II codes that are specific to only that manufacturer. It costs extra money to obtain the data and to add the programming to the...
  17. R

K & N causing problems, need input....

From Ford's letter to the dealer regarding ONP 00M12: "AFFECTED VEHICLES: 1) Certain 1997 through 2000 Explorer and Mountaineer vehicles equipped with 4.0L SOHC engines built at the Louisville Assembly Plant and St. Louis Assembly Plants from Job #1, 1997 through April 7, 2000. 2)...
  18. R

97 XLT, Loose Camshaft Chain = BOOM

I would be talking to a local dealer then to see if they would be willing to offer any asistance (they have that option) due to the low mileage. If the guides failed, then you are only 5 months over the time limit but way under on miles. That should be worth something. Unfortunately, Ford...
  19. R

Factory trailer tow package

All Explorers use the bottom of the radiator for cooling. The auxillary cooler adds cooling capacity that is used in series with the standard radiator/tranny cooler.
  20. R

Question about ControlTrac

Jason, You could go and find out for us. The next time it rains or if you happen to get the misfortune of getting a good coating of ice, just go and drive your Explorer over 35 MPH and then floor it. See if your light lights up :)
  21. R

sohc rear chain

If no damage to the engine occured when the rear chain went, then figure on about $1500 to replace it at Ford. They'll have to pull the engine to replace the rear chain. If the engine was damaged, then figure on about $4500 for a new engine.
  22. R

The AutoXray is much more usefull with the Ford Enhanced OBD-II suppport if you don't already have it. It quadruples the parameters that you have available as well as allows the O2 and fuel trim tests to work.
  23. R

3.93 Gears

As Robb said, chainging gears is not a DIY job for the untrained. Figure on about $400 - $600 an axle for the gears, rebuild kit and installation per axle. I paid about $1650 to go from 4.10s to 4.56s incuding the differential rebuild kits and a Powertrax No-Slip. The cheapest option would be to...
  24. R

3.93 Gears

"plenty of power" is relative in each's own view of what they consider plenty. I had a '94 2WD Ranger with 3.55s and a 5-speed manual exept it came with 26" tires. I couldn't imagine ever being happy with 30" tires on it. Whereas it had good acceleration off the line with 26" tires, I think I...
  25. R

Your AutoXray isn't going to read your codes from your transmission, nor your ABS nor RAPS either. It will only read OBD II specific codes. The transmission codes do not have to follow the OBD II convention so Ford doesn't put them in the data stream. You won't be able to read them without a...
Back