Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. B

Jurassic Park...The SUV!

What is this Saginaw conversion? I run ram assist and would love to run a Saginaw pump.
  2. B

Rear suspension options? 12"-16" travel, 6"-8" lift

Alright, with the full width axles I can move my springs outside the frame rails. I can invert the shackles also. I can make whatever custom mounts necessary to mount the ends. What I need to do next is to determine what travel I need from the springs. How much compression from ride height and...
  3. B

Oh crap, my credit card is starting to smoke: 16" travel Explorer rear suspension kit
  4. B

If it wasn't for having to limit the current setup to keep the springs from going beyond flat I would be perfectly happy. I have learned that when you reverse arc the springs, they don't last very long. I am leaning towards the 64" Chevy springs. I just need to decide if I can go full outboard...
  5. B

I have looked at linking the rear and going with some type of coilover setup. even considered a horizontal coilover and bellcrank type setup. Biggest problem is the gas tank. It is right in the way.
  6. B

That was one of the options I was considering. Thanks for the input.
  7. B

Android Auto head unit?

Thanks, just ordered mine. I'll try it out in my FR-S and see what I think.
  8. B

I want to look in to options for my rear suspension so I can get it caught up to my front suspension. I think I am at about 6"-8" of suspension lift from stock. My front is running 12" of travel (6 up/6 down). I think the up on the rear can go probably about 10" up before the 35" tires start to...
  9. B

Android Auto head unit?

I have been reading thru similar threads, but they were all pretty old so I decided to start a new thread. I am looking in to getting a Android Auto head unit. Right now I am using a top of the line Sony single din unit, a tablet and my cell phone, but I am leaning towards the simplicity of...
  10. B

4R70W - upgrades for towing?

I will be checking the TPS and the transmission mounted shifter position switch thingy this weekend. I think a failure of either of those may create what I am having. Thanks for the reply. Still looking for the upgrade info though. I know a transmission is in my future this year.
  11. B

4R70W - upgrades for towing?

I figured this would happen. I recently replaced my 5.0 with a 331. Figured the 100K miles plus (previous owner had rebuilt) trans wouldn't survive long. It no longer has 2nd or 3rd after a very mild local off-road trip. I think a bit of the trail cruising I did in 2nd gear finished it off. I...
  12. B

347 in 1997 Mountiaineer, what do I need to know?

That's good to know! I bought 2 off of Ebay for like $30 each shipped. Both work just fine. If I decide to do any programming, I will keep my original one as is and only reprogram the new ones in case they had already been reprogrammed. Pretty sure my original one had not been reprogrammed...
  13. B

Oil heat exchanger seal?

On the passenger side that is where my winch controller and the vacuum canister/ball thing is. On the drivers side that is where I relocated the purge thing for the fuel tank and some other thing. Why did you do this on the passenger side? I'd think that the shorter run to the drivers side...
  14. B

Oil heat exchanger seal?

I looked in to this, I even bought a kit. When I went to figure out where I would mount the remote filter and where to rout the hoses....... My setup didn't have a good solution. That's when I decided to go back to the 90° adaptor. In a more stock situation there may be better options than I...
  15. B

Oil heat exchanger seal?

With the SAS mine is very different than the normal Explorer/Mountaineer. Plenty of access. The biggest problem is when I change an oil filer, the oil is going to drip all over my track bar, tie rod, drag link and the hoses that run to my ram. I think I can head some of that off by using a...
  16. B

Oil heat exchanger seal?

Well, I pulled the trigger on a Ford M-6880-B50: I am going to tap a 1/8NPT thread thru the center of the head of the bolt (black anodized part on above image) to create a PSI port for a separate mechanical PSI gauge. I had thought about taping the port in the body, but there is more material...
  17. B

A pillar gauge pods?

Looks like a generic triple pod should fit, so I ordered one and lets see.
  18. B

Oil heat exchanger seal?

Ok, researched thru lunch and think I will go away from the factory heat exchanger and to a remote mounted oil filter kit. Looks like Summit Racing has a kit for under $50 that will work. I'll hopefully place the remote filter in the drivers wheel well. I'll look at the options tonight.
  19. B

Oil heat exchanger seal?

I have sources for square rings. That shouldn't be a problem.
  20. B

Oil heat exchanger seal?

I tried searching “Explorer 302 oil cooler”, also before I made this post I tried: 5.0 heat exchanger 5.0 oil radiator 5.0 oil coolant 5.0 exchanger Honestly, it never occurred to me to use 302 instead of 5.0 since this type of thing never came on engines designated as 302. All Explorer...
  21. B

Oil heat exchanger seal?

I would have thought so also, but my 97 seems to be different. When I was cleaning this to install it on my new motor I remember looking at the oil filter sealing ring to use to replace it and it didn't look like the same thing. I'm guessing that the 98-01 may be different than the 96-97 ones. I...
  22. B

Oil heat exchanger seal?

My new motor is leaking oil where the heat exchanger is sealed to the block. Anyone know where I can get a new seal for this?
  23. B

A pillar gauge pods?

Was that a double universal type one? What did you think of how it fit?
  24. B

A pillar gauge pods?

Has anyone tried one of the universal pods like this: Glow Shift Universal triple gauge pod
  25. B

A pillar gauge pods?

What options are out there for mounting 52mm (2 1/6") gauges to the A pillar? Does anyone make an Explorer specific triple pod?
Back