Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. S

aftermarket radio install help

There are 4 holes, 2 on each side of the front of our factory radio, get some ford radio tools and follow the directions to use them. The holes are for the tools to remove the radio, you don't remove the whole trim panel.
  2. S

Question about stock cd/cass HU

ok I have a 2000 mountaineer, it's just the cd/cassette with the factory subwoofer and 6disc, my question is this; does this particular HU Have some kind of integrated HPF for the front or all speakers except the sub? I running a high pass converter for signal to a aftermarket amp/sub combo I'm...
  3. S

Key FOB Question

98+ do use a different keyfob, I know for a fact bc I've had a 97, 98 And now a 00. My 98 fob wouldn't program to my 97. Try chipkeys.com
  4. S

Preparing Radio/Climate Bezel

Did you ever finish? I was thinking about exterior color matching my radio bezel and would like to know how it turned out. But either way so far you were a help lol.
  5. S

96 V8 has no AWD

The load popping under load and not going anywhere In deep snow sounds like a stretched out T-Case Chain to me.. Happened to my Expedition.
  6. S

yet another shackle problem

Both top (frame) bolts came right out but the ones on the leaf spring side are fubared.. how did everyone deal with the spring side? I cut the head off and tried to knock it out the back side and its a no go. So I cut the threads off as far down as I could get and tried that way and also a no...
  7. S

mountaineer headlights in explorer grille?

I remember reading a while back that when ford was designing the mointaineer reface for 98 that they pretty much just flipped the headlight shape over and it got me thinking, has anyone though about trying to fab some mounts and just swap sides on the headlights? I wonder how bad the beam...
  8. S

jeep zj tcase?

I got to thinking about swapping my awd case out last night and a thought crossed my mind, has anyone thought about the awd vicious couple tcase from a zj grand cherokee? Its VC like ours, but has a Low range and I rather liked the operation in my 96 zj with the 318. I dont know what model...
  9. S

97 ex. factory JBL system louder on right side?

Speakers have already been changed out. And the balance is the is thing I checked.
  10. S

factory air ride switch on dash?

Its a 97 ex Limited, and I wasjust wondering what the switch on the dash the says something to the effect of "Normal" and "Off Road" actually does? Oris supposed to do...
  11. S

97 ex. factory JBL system louder on right side?

Ok so ive decided that i hate the factory radio anyway since my cd changer does work (anyone wanna buy a good cartridge? lol), so does anyone have a pinout or wire coloring (or will a regular short ford harness plug into the output plug from the factory amp?) for the output of the factory am in...
  12. S

97 ex limited moonroof woes

Im seriously looking at a fairly clean 97 ex thats loaded. I went to open the moonroof and it opened but wont close haha. I know I can use the manual close on the motor but what would cause it to open fine but not even budge to close? Bad switch or wiring? Anyone had the same problem?
  13. S

after market exhaust screwed it all up!

That is pretty much EXACTLY what i want to do... Is that a kit or something you had made.
  14. S

wheels vs. spacers?

I am running 235s on a 15x10 wheel and with the added wheel width it makes the stance look "wider", thats the route i'd go instead of going with a different offset wheel of the same size. To much offset can kill your ride quality too and make your ass feel every little Bump.
  15. S

No Keys

Goto a junkyard, find an ex or mountie WITH keys and with the same motor as yours and grab the computer, steering column, and door/hatch locks... Thats the only way i can think of to get by it yourself.. Or look online for a PATS bypass that doesn't require an extra or existing key.
  16. S

SP-432 -vs- SP-493? Which plug is Better?

My problem is my old 98 Mountie 5.0. It seems to have a healthy apatite for spark plugs... when i got it there were autolite coppers in it, and it ran horribly, next i tried the platinum's, and it ran good for about 1000 miles, then i decided to check out the E3s, they ran FANTASTIC.... for...
  17. S

Question on AWD of a 1999 Explorer V8 5.0

from what you described i can honestly say that its probably the T-Case. The Viscous coupler is a very stiff part and is meant to hold or slip when needed. whats happening now is that yours is locked up (holding) constantly now like a full time 4wd system with welded gears would. Pull your front...
  18. S

Alternative to the B&M Aux trans filter?

We have all seen the b&m kit, and the derale kit too, but yesterday while under my mountie changing the fuel filter i got to thinking... The fuel filter for our trucks (or atleast mine and most 2nd gens i'd assume) would be perfect as a substitute *if* the filter element part of it would work...
  19. S

What do you think it's worth?

I wouldn't take less then 2500.. I sold my 98 a while back and got 2800 cash, and she has a rusting out rocker and 174k miles. And a couple of the same problems as yours, broken door handle, and a rip in the drivers seat. and the blend door motor is out. All in all they kbb for around 3200...
  20. S

Pipe Size? 98 Mountie

Can anyone tell me what size exhaust pipe goes into the muffler right after the Flange behind the rear cats? If it matters i have the large 1 piece style flange that holds both pipes instead of the 2 separate flange design. I am getting new muffs to put on and I dont have another way to the...
  21. S

cvx or cvr?

Get the CVR 15", lower and louder. Put it in a good ported enclosure, troll the car audio sites to see where most people like to tune the CVRs at. But i'd say around 38hz..
  22. S

where to start? Ex ws just towed in....

If your not wanting to turn it over... then really all you can do it take it apart and see if the chain is bad, most likely it is. Go find a set of junk yard heads to rebuild and get a new chain.
  23. S

Just finished Blend door now no throttle????

check at the top of the throttle pedal arm, see if the cable is hooked up. bet thats what it is.
  24. S

Bad front diff?

I got it out, no visual damage seen to the bearing. But I did notice that the retaining ring/clip that holds the D/S CV into the Diff was looking a little to Compressed, so I'm going to go ahead and take the diff in and exchange it before i get to lazy. And before reinstalling it i'll pry that...
  25. S

Control Trac varients

Another trick is to pull the Center console out of the truck (How to on the site somewhere), and there is a "hatch" or whatever you'd like to call it that you can unbolt and get to the top mounting bolts so much easier. Yes there is enough room to pull the TC off the output shaft without hitting...
Back