Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. J

99 explorer 4x4 trouble

I dont understand what you are asking... everything needs to be plugged in for it to work. there should be one large pigtail, a brown wire that is hrd wired to the transfercase, and a little round barrel looking guy that you have to unbolt a a hold down to pry out of the transfercase. The...
  2. J

94 front axle seals

THANK YOU! I was refering to the seals on the diff. Thanks for the tip on the c-clip eliminator too, I'll check that out.
  3. J

99 explorer 4x4 trouble

the most common problem in my experience with the 4x4 not engaging properly is the shift motor. sometimes one light comes on, but its not realy engaged, sometimes hi works but low doesnt etc etc. there are quite a few rebuild threads for the shift motor on this sight. I have to hit mine...
  4. J

94 front axle seals

seriously???? 80 people looked and nobody has any input? Not even a "sorry man, I dont know"
  5. J

Transmission Shift Modulator

I just changed mine by removing the front seats and pulling back the carpet. with the access cover removed from the trans hump on the floor the job was pretty easy.
  6. J

completley unexpected a4ld issue

Been doing some homework, and noticed alot of people have similar problems, but I cant seem to find any clear solutions. Out of no where my 94 explorer decided that it doesn't want to shift on its own anymore. I've never had any slipping or shifting issues with this truck before. At just...
  7. J

Child Car Seat tether anchor

my 94 ex has 4 cargo hold down points like metal "c" shaped clips. If I was going to intall an anchor I'd probably unfasten one of those and use that point for the anchor. Or maybe i'm visualizing this the wrong way
  8. J

94 front axle seals

A few weeks ago I replaced the rear axle seals in the driveway, was pretty straight forward, and now with winter around the corner and a day off from work I want to replace the front axle u-joints. I fond a very informitive sticky post on the whole process, however it only seems to deal only...
  9. J

How-To: 1st Gen Ball Joints / U Joints / Spindle Bearings

Very informitive write up. The pictures are emensley helpful as well, however I do have one question. On the passengers side, there is a second inner u-joint and it appears that the axle will not just slide out like it did on the drivers side. Because the front diff has no cover, must I...
  10. J

...Got mine

well forget about the nose swap. Seems like alot of work to switch from the nose I like to the one I don't. Just gonna have to wait for a first gen to come rolling in for parts
  11. J

...Got mine

Could have been worse, at least I didn't hit another car. This is kinda making me think about a second gen. nose conversion. I switched a four eyed fox body mustang to a 92 lx nose. The only part I'm not to sure about is the vent piece between the hood and windshield. My fisrt gen is...
  12. J

...Got mine

It was bound to happen, 45% slope + guard rail x snow= one sad explorer.... After I hit the guard rail (ugh) I had to pull into a parking lot and tug the bumper off the right front tire with one of my off-road chains. Good thing I keep it in the back or I would have had to call a tow truck...
  13. J

Help!! Is this fatal??

ooohhh! I don't know alot about trannys but that looks mighty discouraging. Good luck with that
  14. J

New Toys

how's that lift mate work? looks kinda dangerous
  15. J

Howler

Crazy race! It was bumped down from 200 to 100 laps, and we ended up running in the rain. I made it 80 laps before i ran out of tires :) Passengers tie rod broke about 30 laps in, I definately gained some respect running with only one wheel steering. Not bad for my first enduro race:roll...
  16. J

Howler

I HATE PLASTIC INTAKES!!!!!!!!!!!! The first one sucked air, the second one leaks water... oh well, maybe tomorrow
  17. J

short ram intake question/ is it worth it?

it's okay, honest mistake. So did johnyd go with the intake or not?
  18. J

I undertand that a cone is more likely to get splashed, that is exactly why I don't have one on my explorer. At the same time, putting an almuinum tube with a cone filter in the engine compartment isn't exacly "Cold Air" intake. It should be routed down and away from the engine to allow it...
  19. J

Howler

The cougar is coming along nicely, although I'm going to have to change the intake :( I hate plastic intakes! But while I'm in there I was thinking about swapping out the injectors and MAF in favor of a set up off DOHC Lincoln Mark VIII. Any suggestions? I just found out it's going to be...
  20. J

slam it on there and drive it, it'll sound cool and you'll like it.:D If you don't, you can always go back. the only car i ever had that i didn't rig one in is the Ex. I dont want to be sucking up water when I'm out playing.
  21. J

Howler

Not exactly 4x4 related, but is anyone planning on running the Halloween Howler this year in Epping? I was going to work on my Cougar today for the race but this damn head cold and the rain are slowing me down.
  22. J

If your messing with the radiator anyways...

HA! Beretta! I had an 89 GT, SUCKED!!!!! I was kind of relieved when I siezed the motor on the highway. The walk home was worth it to be rid of the heap! They do make a nice tool to remove those spring-clamps in tight spaces. A little pricey, but well woth the investment
  23. J

Wheel Bearings

I must have read a hundred posts where people use a magnet to remove the lock key on the auto hubs. Honestly, I had no luck with the magnet, and found that a couple small picks work nicely.
  24. J

Wheel Bearings

I just did mine, wasn't too bad. I would suggest checking the haynes for the proper check method, and have the new bearings on hand when you are ready to dissasemble. I just kind of started taking mine apart to figure it out, and all the roller bearings fell out in my hand. If I had no way to...
  25. J

Location of data link connector

It's pretty sneaky, behind the battery it's clipped to something and it's inside a protective plastic cover so it's not so obvious that it's a connector
Back