Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. SuperGordo

1998 Explorer 5.0 “Restoration2021” project

Got all the internals assembled and the pump installed. Valve body is ready to go in. Pretty close to done with the trans.
  2. SuperGordo

I think most people use adapter kits for the ease of install. Someone did the work already. Or they're afraid to do what you are planning or don't possess enough knowledge to skill to attempt it.
  3. SuperGordo

Well luckily I get to drive the EX first!!
  4. SuperGordo

Well to be clear I personally am not looking to swap a 6r80. But the guys who are pondering this all have 4.6 Modulars. So they have the same bellhousing pattern. 89-93 Tbird cougars would have either 3.8V6, or 5.0V8. 94-97 had 3.8V6 or 4.6 V8 as options.
  5. SuperGordo

I finished drilling the valve body separator plate for the Jmod. Finished the pump. Installed the Sonnax main pressure regulator valve in the VB. Tailshaft housing and a new bushing, seal and o ring on the speed sensor cap. I need to pickup a spiral snap ring for the reverse drum tomorrow. Once...
  6. SuperGordo

For the pump I always replace the bronze bushing behind the converter seal, the converter seal, I check the pump gears for wear, replace the metal sealing rings on the stator support and the large O ring that goes around the pump housing. There is a bronze bushing on the inside end of the stator...
  7. SuperGordo

Got about 30% of the transmission built. The reverse drum, forward drum and direct drum are done, i installed the output carrier with the output shaft and the direct drum today. Topped it off with the planetary gear assembly, the reverse band and the sun gear and sun shell. Ill see what else i...
  8. SuperGordo

Spent a bunch of my daughters money today!
  9. SuperGordo

Much cleaner trans case.
  10. SuperGordo

Had the driveshaft rebuilt and balanced with new Spicer U joints. Picking up 15 quarts of Motorcraft Mercon V tomorrow. Then stopping to pickup the new torque converter and all the rebuild parts. Also adding a trans pan with a drain plug to make regular fluid changes easier.
  11. SuperGordo

Tailshaft bushing is definitely worn out. Kind of hard to tell, but on the bottom left the bushing is about 30% thinner they the rest of it.
  12. SuperGordo

I do appreciate that. Definitely don't want to mess anything up. What I'm mostly hoping for is some free time for this project so that I can get it done. Funny how time works. When I first started this in 2021 I was able to hammer some serious hours at the EX. Now since July it has been a real...
  13. SuperGordo

I've built about 60 4r70Ws. This one is in pretty good shape. New clutches, seals, gaskets, and some details and it'll be good.
  14. SuperGordo

I disassembled the trans today. Nothing horrible going on in there, but it is definitely a good time for a rebuild. The Belleville spring in the reverse drum is broken in 2 places. OD band is overheated. Direct clutches were getting hot. Forward clutches were getting thin for sure. Need to make...
  15. SuperGordo

I'm reusing the injectors and fuel lines from the original. The injectors were all new in 2021. Keeping all that.
  16. SuperGordo

So the new engine going in is a 99. It doesnt not have the egr port in the lower intake. The 98 engine does have the port. Is that a problem? Id sure like to not have to swap intakes at this point.
  17. SuperGordo

Is there a year cutoff for the round airbox and the egr port? Just curious.
  18. SuperGordo

This one is a 1998. Ill look at the build date when I get home.
  19. SuperGordo

Got it out. Cracked the air box like a dummy. But its out
  20. SuperGordo

Awesome! Thanks! Exactly what I was looking for. It's about ready to pull. I just need a free hour to put it on the hook.
  21. SuperGordo

Im almost ready to pull this engine. Question for the 5.0 guys who have done engine pulls. Any concerns with the right side exhaust manifold hitting the AC box? Any tips or tricks I should know?
  22. SuperGordo

Gonna send the driveshaft in for new u joints and a balance too. Up to this point the only thing I haven't touched is the transmission and the driveshaft. Already did every damn other thing.
Back