Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. D

4R70W Still No Reverse Warm Transmission Replaced

Got it working finally. I went ahead and changed out the planetary, center support and reverse clutch drum. I think the problem was the seals in the reverse clutch drum. Initially, I replaced the reverse clutch pack because they were worn, but evidently not the whole problem. So now...
  2. D

This is the donor center support bushings, sorry there so dark.
  3. D

I have the transmission tore back down, I was busy over the weekend so it just sat there. I did notice 1 difference on the center support. The original which I reused has an aluminum bushing and the spare is copper with 2 holes in it. A little bit confused as to if the holes are necessary...
  4. D

Today I topped off the fluid and still no reverse when hot. I started tearing it back down again. I just got the transfer case off and about half a quart of fluid dripped from the extension housing or the transfer case. It will probably be another couple days until I have the transmission out...
  5. D

I still am procrastinating on doing the job again, haven't had enough time yet and need a clean container to catch $60 worth of new fluid. Just trying to come up with everything to check before I dive back in. No I didn't use new seals on the valve body this time and I didn't tighten them in...
  6. D

My first attempt on the original tranny I did do the valve body seals. I did buy a inch pound torque wrench just for the job. What is the correct torque? I am going to take a look at the old pump sealing rings and see what they look like.
  7. D

Solenoid - how to check?

Should measure 20-30 ohms on the resistance setting of your meter. Depends upon which one it is though, it could be less, but get the reading, if its zero or you don't get anything its bad.
  8. D

The valve body came directly off a known good working tranny, didn't mess with it. So No to shuttle ball, manual valve, and regulator valve. Reverse clutch was also known good working, so no. Reverse band as well and it has engine braking in 1st, No. Pump came out of known good working...
  9. D

The only other thing I can think of doing are changing the EPC solenoid or installing a longer reverse piston. I might try a pressure test if I can find some fittings that can adapt to my guage. If you know the exact size needed please chime in! Everything else has been changed or has nothing...
  10. D

Did a test drive today. I have engine braking in 1st, so I know for sure the band is good. All the other gears are still fine and shifting pretty smoothly, OD is working good and all the 4X4 gears engage. Reverse will not engage when hot the either 4x4 low or high. I have thought it over...
  11. D

Hello everyone, I have been stalking this site for the past couple years and this is actually my first thread I have started. Glacier's threads have been very helpful throughout my work and I just wanted to thank him first! Thanks!!! I bought a 2001 F-150 with 4x4 several years ago and...
  12. D

How to: 4R70W Rebuild Diary Discussion, Questions, ETC

Reverse Fixed!!! I finally got reverse working! Since my last post I have bathed in ATF 3 times and replaced all sorts of parts with no fix. I replaced the low/reverse servo and cover, the 1-2 accumulator and cover, manual valve. None of these replacement parts fixed the issue. Today I...
  13. D

Reverse/Low servo Ok I have procrastinated long enough and today I decided enough was enough. I took out the valve body for another inspection and to replace some parts. I have done some more research and looked over the diary again. Before I consider taking the transmission out I want...
  14. D

Gaskets Replaced I have replaced all 3 gaskets for the valve body and I still don't have any improvements in reverse. Fluid is full and everything else is working properly. What would you suggest doing next? Any other suspected parts I should examine? Thanks
  15. D

Glacier, Thank you for all the useful information in your transmission diary. I have a 4R70W transmission that works great until it heats up. Once it is hot I have no reverse. This is the first automatic transmission problem that I have had to deal with and I would like to fix it myself...
Back