Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. W

AC Problem 02 Explorer

I thought my problem was cured also when they did the system flush and thermostat, but first time over 90 with a decent amount of drive time since I had the service done and the problem came back.
  2. W

AC Problem 02 Explorer

I have this exact same problem only I think it's getting worse. We had a real hot spell back in July and it's when it started happening only when the air would get warm, very shortly after my temp gauge would spike up to hot. The first time or two that happened it would all of a sudden come...
  3. W

Smell coming from heat vent

This might be kind of a tough one to guess but here goes. In the past week I've noticed a smell coming from the heat vents. I've kind of noticed when I have the heat all the way to high (temp wise) I've been smelling what I can best describe as the smell of burning candle wax. It seems to go...
  4. W

Clicking noise underneath engine?

Hopefully someone chimes in. There are some great mechanics on here. You might want to take a look at the heat shields. When I had my trans rebuilt there was a screw in a heat shield slightly loose, but it was enough to allow it vibrate and it sounded like tick coming from the underside.
  5. W

Pulley bearing?

The sound is coming from, it seems, the front of the engine. I hear it mostly when I accelerate but doesn't change with the RPM. I know it's not transmission related, just had a complete rebuild and I don't hear it as it runs through the gears. When I get up to speed and I'm cruising I don't...
  6. W

Pulley bearing?

I've searched on the forums regarding a noise that sounded like a bearing or pulley that has gone bad. I found a couple of things regarding the serpentine tensioner pulley but it has mostly been for earlier model years. I have a 2003 4x4 with a V8 and makes a sound as described above. Has anyone...
  7. W

Clicking noise underneath engine?

Give some stat's. What motor, how many miles, year and so on. Just shooting from the hip with no other information I'm purely speculating a rod knock. In my limited experience I've found in other situations when you hear a ticking sound coming from the engine and it changes with engine RPM, you...
  8. W

Temp and Blower Controls

I know it's not the resistor, at least from reading posts regarding it. From what I've read typically you would loose 1 or 2 fan speeds. I haven't completely lost the third position. I can get it to a point where it engages then wedge a peice of paper or something in there and it will continue...
  9. W

Temp and Blower Controls

Other than a dealer or junkyard does anyone know where I can pick up the controls for the HVAC / blower? When we turn it to the 3rd setting, the fan speed doesn't change until you go just a little bit further then it changes. As soon as you let go of the knob it goes back to the second setting...
  10. W

Rattling upon acceleration

Had mine in for a 2 week check up on the trans rebuild I had done, so while it was on the hoist I asked them to makes sure there was nothing loose. Sure enough, one of the heat shields was just loose enough to rattle. They tightend it, problem solved.
  11. W

Battery light won't go off

The repair shop called, turned out to be the wrong alternator. Actually, he said he had to install an OEM part because it had a relay inside that the aftermarket did not have. Once he put in the OEM all systems were fine. Cost out the door $246.75 not including the $35 for the tow.
  12. W

Battery light won't go off

Just had my alternator replaced, after me and my family were stranded when the truck died. Anyway, they called me and said that the alternator is installed and is charging fine but......the battery light is not going off. They said they have to do some additional troubleshooting but worst case...
  13. W

Well glad I'm not alone. If someone trips on what it might be, by all means please post. Getting this thing up high enough to get under ;) it isn't easy for me so I'd like to have a good idea of what it is and try and fix it in one shot. :D
  14. W

I have a rattle when I accelerate, but it seems like it's coming from the under side. Does the catalytic converter or any of the exhaust have a shroud around it that could rattle?
  15. W

Transmission problem

My suggestion is to get it to a very reputable transmission shop. Ford isn't going to want to pick up the $2000 cost of a new transmission so they are going to fiddle around and shrug their shoulders. Pay the few bucks to have it diagnosed by an independant party then take the results back to...
  16. W

bought an 02 explorer and starting to regret buying it...

125,000 so for him not too shabby, but sucks being me I guess. The trans shop called and said they were getting ready to add fluid and just wanted to put a few miles on to make sure all was good. Called back a couple hours later and said the torque converter was making noise so they were...
  17. W

bought an 02 explorer and starting to regret buying it...

I picked up an 03 XLT V8 about a month ago for $4600. A week into ownership the trans started acting and sounding funny. You guessed it, full rebuild. Supposedly the previous owner had no problems what so ever.....I find that very hard to believe. When they pulled it apart it was very low on...
  18. W

Trans Identification

How do I know what transmission I have in my Explorer? Is there a chart or something that outlines it. If there is, it would make a great sticky for us new guys that are not familiar with all the different powertrain set ups over the years. I have a 2003 XLT V8 4X4.
  19. W

Newbie Needin Some Guidance

Just picked up a 2003 Explorer XLT on Sunday. All seemed fine when we test drove it. My wife has been driving it and she said the twice while sitting at idle at a light it seemed like it shifted out of gear. Yesterday I was driving it and sitting at a light and it felt like it shifted and then...
  20. W

Hello from Metro Detroit

Hello everyone! Well my wife and I just purchased an '03 Explorer XLT over the weekend. Has the V8 with 125K on the odo. It seems as though the previous owner took pretty good care of it, mechanically. We spent 3 1/2 hours cleaning it up though. Looks pretty good if I must say so. Not perfect by...
Back