Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. P

100,000 Mile Club

Ford Tough? NO! You really gotta love a vehicle to be on tranny No 6 and engine No. 2 at only 138K. My '91 just came back from the tranny shop with a 'new' rebuilt 5 speed at only 141K miles. Then there has been: new clutch at only 130K or so; water pump/fan clutch; replacement of...
  2. P

rear rotor removal 02 explorer 4wd

Terrible? Yes, and Poor Design The design of the 2nd gen must be similar, since I just had to have the whole works replaced on my '97. Twice, now! In less than 40K miles! Please tell us more about the "pads and sand the rotor" option.
  3. P

How to: Fog Lights with Parking Lights

I'm glad you found the correct wires. Being independent of the exterior lighting system, you have the most flexibility. Often, I will use the fogs as daytime running lights (without have to burn all the other lights).
  4. P

100,000 Mile Club

100,000 Miles! Hit the 100,000 mile mark last Saturday. Just backed into a slot at the MickeyD on the way back from Deer Camp and knew I had to take the pic. This is the third vehicle that had multiples of 100K on the clock. My '84 Toyota PU had 205k when I sold it. My '93 Toyota PU had...
  5. P

My arrangement is completely independent of the headlight circuits. And, by tapping the washer pump relay feed, it will operate whenever the ignition key is switched to "ACC" or "RUN". I've already used the fogs as daytime running lamps on numerous overcast days this winter (save burning all...
  6. P

The object of this exercise is to power the fog lamp relay from a source not tied to the headlights. The switch on you dash provides a path to ground so the fog relay can function. Make sure that you cut the DARK BLUE with a LIGHT GREEN RIBBON wire and insulate the end coming out of the...
  7. P

ABS question

That's the sound I get on my '97 when I try to stop quick on ice or snow. Sounds normal to me!
  8. P

Auto Lock doors

They must've changed the way to arm and disable Autolock on the '98s. On my '97, you control Autolock from the keypad. Procedure is this: enter your code. Within 5 seconds, press and hold 7&8 button. Then press the 3&4 button. The horn will sound once when engaging Autolock and twice when...
  9. P

Broken Blend Doors BigClassaction.com

Yes, But . . . This is not a case of a part wearing out. The part was defective to start with! Ford knew about this problem in November, 1997 when they issued a Technical Service Bulletin. Its only a question of time until the blend door breaks.
  10. P

Common problems by year...

97 XLT '97 XLT OHV 4x4 Automatic 86K miles (Big) Problems since buying used in '02 @ 56K miles Blend door broke/fixed Lower ball joint/replaced Front wheel bearing & hub assembly/replaced Brake pads/replaced twice Rear parking shoes - mechanism rusted/replaced
  11. P

I agree with you about the lawyers. And I'm not suggesting there be a class action lawsuit. The best way to get the message of quality and dependiblity to automobile manufacturers is by voting with your dollars. This happened before. In the late 1960's, Detroit's products were going...
  12. P

The blend door problem afflicts the early 2nd generation X ('95 to '98). Your '01 shouldn't have this design and manufacturing flaw.
  13. P

Perhaps.... Perhaps you are correct. As one whose X experienced a blend door failure, it was irritating, but not the end of the world. On the other hand, automotive heating systems have been around since the 1930s. And engineers have had experience with plastics and other similar...
  14. P

’97 Fog Light Mod #3 I did the Fog Light Mod on my ’97 today, but I didn’t use Mod #1 or #2. As we all know, the stock arrangement provides a “hot” fog lamp relay only when the dash light switch is set to “headlamps” AND the column multifunction switch is set to “low beam.” The object of...
  15. P

Heating issue

Thermostat? Could be the thermostat is stuck in the open position. Also, could be the blend door. I just had it fixed on my '97.
  16. P

Blend door vote

Happy New Year! Blend Door Broke! Started '04 with no ability to control temperature. For a couple months, the door was making a rubbing sound when I adjusted the temperature. Today, only hot air. 86K miles. Oh, well, it's winter and its stuck on heat. From reading all the posts, the...
  17. P

tire psi in snow

Never Change The only time a mess with adjusting tire pressure is when going onto sand at the beach. Here in PA, and especially up north, I've gone through 12"+ snow with the same tire pressure I use for the road. Hope this helps!:)
  18. P

Symptoms of bad bearings?

Just Had Same Problem . . . At first I thought it was cupping tires. But the trip to OBX was long-planned. As the miles increased, so did the noise. After 500+ miles, it was really loud. It was a front wheel bearing - somehow grit got inside. $400 buck later, its fixed. I too had...
  19. P

Help, dash removal, blend air door

Try this thread - Blend Door Stuff
  20. P

Pics of "Working" X'es?

My '97 at work. . .
  21. P

Overdrive or not?

Check out this thread - I think it answers your question. D or OD
  22. P

Beach Driving - Manual v. Auto Tranny

Nice ride up the beach. My avatar pic was taken at the fence at the NC-VA border. Wife & I will be there again in October. Feeshin'll still be good.
  23. P

POLL D or OD

OD Except . . . When driving in hilly, up-down terrain, or long down grades.
  24. P

Making a snow truck

I would think the basic X can go through the snow well enough. Here's my '97 last winter in a field with a foot+ of snow: And here's one on a snow covered road:
  25. P

Poll--What kind of oil do you use?

For my '97, Valvoline 5W30 and Purolator filter (change myself) For my '91 (used in business), 10W30 at the local Penzoil quick change shop.
Back