Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. D

Rear hatch glass hinges

I just want to thank everyone for posting their experience. My hinge just broke through on my 2002 Explorer. I will be calling the stealership on Monday. I hope to be one of the ones that has a pleasant experience and get mine fixed for free.
  2. D

Axle nut socket

I just did mine on a 02 Explorer XLS and it is a 29mm.
  3. D

Hi, new member and I need help!

The only other items in the wheel that would make a noise while moving is the wheel bearing might be going out or the cv joint in the axle is going bad. I am just guessing and brain storming.
  4. D

Help! - Sway bar link stuck good

Just did mine. I used a hacksaw and cut through the bolt in about 2 mins. One was broke already and I broke the other one trying to get the top nut off. I then had to use a screwdriver and hammer to drive the bolt down through the opening since it was stuck and rusted. It would have been...
  5. D

How I changed my 05's Front Wheel Bearing

Finally got mine off. It was a combination of a 3 lb hammer hitting the old hub from side to side and the slide hammer, plus a brother-in-law cause that slide hammer is a major pain in the hands after 10+ hits. Dang ABS light is still on. Time to grab my scanner and find out which code is...
  6. D

Got a slide hammer from Autozone, but it only has a jaw attachment. I guess the guy didnt ask me what I was doing and I didnt know I had to ask for a different attachment. Looks like I have to go back and get a front hub puller or something.
  7. D

I reuse the axle nuts often and I dont have a problem with them. Maybe I am wrong or just ignorant to why I need to replace a nut. I am having a problem with mine. Every post I have been reading talks about the bolts on the backside that hold the hub on, but mine came off easy. This may be...
  8. D

Power seats in a non-power Explorer

Perfect suggestion. I took the old seat belt buckles off my old seats and put them on the new seats. Plugged in the factory connections and the airbag light went off. Solid suggestion. Thanks.
  9. D

New member water pump issues!

I used a strap wrench and wrapped it around the water pump pulley. The strap wrench provided enough strength and counter-turn that I was able to remove the bolt. I also did the same thing for the four bolts that hold the pulley on the water pump.
  10. D

Power seat wiring harness

Did you have trouble with the airbag light? Which wires on the yellow connector did you connect to the seat?
  11. D

Power seats in a non-power Explorer

I took the leather power seats out of a 2004 Explorer and putting them in my 2002 Explorer. The connectors under the seat are different and it is not a simple plug-n-play. I have gotten power to the drivers seat and it works correctly, but now the air bag light is on. I have been reading and...
  12. D

Rear Wheel Bearing Hubs

The upper ball joint is made into the upper control arm. I wouldnt try to replace just the ball joint. I tried to replace just the ball joint and the new joint stuck too far above the control arm and rubbed the inner part of my rim. Scrapped a nice groove when I tried to drive it. I have...
  13. D

Installation of 3rd Row Seating '02 Limited

Message sent. You have no idea how much this helps me.
  14. D

Installation of 3rd Row Seating '02 Limited

Part needed Does anybody have any idea what the part number is for the two plastic clips that lock the third row seat cushion into place? I recently the seat and all the hardware out of a donor truck but I broke both the plastic clips trying to get them out. I have been searching google and...
  15. D

Rear Upper Ball Joints? Can they be pressed out?

DO NOT BUY THE K500109!!! I just posted my troubles with trying to do the rear upper ball joints. The stock ball joints lay flush with the control arm. The Moog ball joints sits about 1/4" above the ball joint plus the height of the grease fitting. If you have the stock 16" rims and you try...
  16. D

*Help* Upper Rear Ball Joint

I have a 2002 Ford Explorer XLS 4x4/AWD. For the second time in 3 years, I had to replace the rear bearings and hubs. So I took everything apart and took the knuckle and new parts to the machine shop. Since my rear end was apart, I decided to do a little maintanence and replace some other items...
  17. D

2002 4x4 front end noise

I have the same problem right now with my 02 Explorer. I thought it was the brakes/rotors, so I changed them; no change. All I am left with is the bearing/hub CV joints Differential I am having my bearings/hub replaced next week. O'Reilly wanted $179 for a new one, but I got them brand...
  18. D

Timken Wheel Bearing Question

I had mine done 6 months ago and I have to do it again. You have to take the knuckle off and have the old hub and bearing pressed out. Unless you have a press at home, you need a machine shop to do this. The same machine shop should be able to press them back in for you. Be prepared cause some...
Back