Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. W

2001 Ranger Edge 4X4 Engine replacement

Hello, Been working on replacing a blown engine in my father in laws truck for a week or so, finally got everything in and hooked up. Went to start the truck and it acts like it wants to fire one time then just turns. We have checked the firing order and verified that everything is...
  2. W

2.3 engine swap

Thats what I was thinking. Taking the 97 engine block and head and using my 91 injection and wiring setup on it.
  3. W

2.3 engine swap

The old engine needs rebuilt it has 200,000 miles + on it. It burns oil and is losing power. Instead of a re-build I was going to get another engine and do a swap. My friends dad has a junk yard and he has a 97 ranger there wrecked with only 45,000 miles on it. I was going to get that...
  4. W

2.3 engine swap

Will I have to get the computer and wiring harness out of a 97 and out it in my 91? If so how hard of a job would this be?? Thanks Wes
  5. W

2.3 engine swap

Can anyone help me out here. I have a 91 Ranger with a 2.3 in it. Im thinking of swapng the engine out with a 97 models 2.3. Will I have to change anything to make this work? Or, will the computer and everything match up with the newer engine? If anyone can shed some light on this...
  6. W

California Banning SUV's

I was just watching a preview of tonights news. They said something about a ban in California on SUV's.. I think that is bullcrap!!! I dont live there or anything, but I totally disagree with it(if it has really happened). Its just not American!!!!
  7. W

'00 Very noisy at idle

I have the same problem. The truck runs great, just that sound is annoying! I get great gas mileage, great power, everything is good except that dang sound.
  8. W

List your Explorer and the NOISES it makes!

This is an old post, but I have a wierd sound coming from my X. It sounds like the exhaust is rattling around near the Cat. When I accelerate to around 2000 RPMs, there is a small but annoying rattle that comes from around the CATs. Anyone esle had this problem? Thanx Wes
  9. W

Poll. Any troubles with tranny soon after fluid/filter change, tranny flush?

I just changed the fluid and filter in my 99 XLS. It has 80K on it. I hope that I dont have any trouble out of it. Its been 2 months, so far the Tranny shifts like a dream.
  10. W

Tellico: Mother's Day 2003 May 10th-12th

Man I wish I was still in TN. Im stuck here in Hawaii, in the ARMY. I cant wait to get back to TN, and do some good fishin. I am from up around Knoxville, TN. I know about where you guys are going. Sounds fun!
  11. W

rough idle newbie ?

I had the same problem on my X. I bought it about a year ago. When I got it, the engine idled really rough, and it made the "marbles in a can sound". I just started doing minor things to it, like cleaning the MAF, IAC. That seemed to help a little, but it was still there. I then bought a...
  12. W

Volant Air Intake Kit 4.0 OHV

I was looking at the Volant Intake kit for the 4.0 OHV Ranger, and was wandering if anyone knows if it will fit a 99 4.0 OHV Xplorer. Here is the link to the part. http://www.tuneshops.com/order-Auto~Performance-Volant-Volant~Intake-1-5707.htm Thanks Wes
  13. W

Front End Diff is leaking

I have 80K on mine. Im just going to get the parts this weekend and do it. I dont think it will be that tough to do.
  14. W

question on spark plug gap!

Bosch Plat +2's and 4's are gapped from the factory and dont require gapping. Personally for a Chevy, you should have bought the AC Delco Rapid Fire spark Plugs. ON the X though I use MOTOCRAFT Double platinums.
  15. W

Its leaking from the front, on the very bottom. I have a shop I can take my truck to work on it at. I can use the lift and tools and stuff. It looks like it might be difficult to get the front cover off. Anyone have any tips on how to get the cover off. Thanks Wes
  16. W

I was under my truck this weekend cleaning up the underbody, and noticed that I have a small front end diff leak. I really dont know how long its been leaking. Its not a fast leak though. What should I do to replace the seal? I have never done that kind of work before. I also need to know...
  17. W

Has the SOHC rattling ever been fixed?

I have a small ticking sound in my engine. BUT its only at low RPMs. It only happens at idle. Its not a lifter, or anything. According to my friend who is a mechanic. He said it may be coming from a rocker arm. Its not rattling, or vibrating the truck in any way, it just makes a tick...
  18. W

high flow cats with pipes...?

I have 80K on the truck. When should the CATS be changed. I heard if you let them go for too long they can stop up and cause engine damage.
  19. W

high flow cats with pipes...?

I am wandering the same. Will this high flow CAT work for a OHV 4.0. I have the K&N FIPK air induction kit. I can tell a huge difference in the way the 4.0 runs. I dont "Hot Rod " my truck or anything but. I like the power that it has added. I just need the exhaust now.
  20. W

Found A Helluva Deal On Ranco 9000Xs!!!!

Roger That! I bought 3, and got the 4th free.
  21. W

Found A Helluva Deal On Ranco 9000Xs!!!!

I just bought the RSX9000's yesterday. The shop had to order them, they should be here in hawaii. 29 or 30 APR. I plan to take the truck on 2 May to have the install done. Total on the 3 shocks + install is like $354.00. Not too bad, considering the shape of the old stock shocks.:redexp:
  22. W

PCV Valve Removal Procedure

I was wondering the same.....I am going to change my fuel filter and PCV valve this weekend. What brand PCV Valve should I get. Ive eard alot of stuff on FRAM from here..dont know if I am going to buy from them or not. Thanks. Wes
  23. W

spuddering in low rpm

My brothers car did that on time. We changed out th OXYGEN sensor because the computer read that it was bad, and it cured the problem. What it was, was that the computer was telling the injectors to give it too much gas and it was flooding out!
  24. W

Rattleing at idle RPM's 4.0 OHV

Yea I did use a FRAM filter. It was the only one that Checker had beside Penzoil.....the checker over here sux man!!
  25. W

Rattleing at idle RPM's 4.0 OHV

OK! Update! I got my friend to look at it, he is a mechanic. He said it sounded like the timing chain! Is it normal for a 4.0 ohv to lose a timing chain at 70K. I had a ranger 2.3 with 170K on it and it still is running perfect. Uses a little bit of oil!!!! OH WELL.....can anyone help...
Back