Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. D

Felpro timing cover gasket kit

If yours still has the stock rubberized steel oil pan gasket, just clean it and re-use it. For future reference you do not have to pull the pan to do this repair, just pull the cover and the necessary bolts attaching it to the pan. That cork garbage the kit comes with should be thrown...
  2. D

Question about easiest repair for wheel bearings

Thats what I usually do for vehicles I own that have pressed in bearing assemblies. I go to the junkyard, get a knuckle and press in a new bearinf/hub and set it on my shelf for when I need it, that way its a quick repair and when you have free time you rebuild your old one and have another...
  3. D

Which engine do you think is best

They are internally EXACTLY THE SAME!!! They have an external oil cooler and a bigger alternator and that is it!! I have personally rebuilt many 4.6's and can tell you all the internal parts between a P71, your grandmas Grand Marquis, and your plumbers E150 are EXACTLY the same...........
  4. D

E15 Fuel in our future?

You CAN in fact make alot of power with ethanol fuels and it burns super clean which keeps the enigne and its oil much cleaner!! Only problem is, the engine has to be built for Ethanol with very high compression to take advantage of ethanols higher resistance to detonation. At that point...
  5. D

Which engine do you think is best

I vote for 4.6!! I have seen MANY MANY vic's used as taxi cabs with over 300,000 MI on the original engine!!! Continually adding to an old out dated design (302 & SOHC 4.0) does not make it a good engine. There is a reason Ford stopped using the 302 and went to the 4.6...........
  6. D

Mystery issue

Classic symptoms of plugged up cats, unbolt the exhaust at both the manifolds and take it for a (loud) testdrive.
  7. D

4.6 SOHC into my 99 ranger :-)

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133179
  8. D

Aux lights on factory fog switch?

The factory fog switch activates a relay and is what I run my hid driving lights off of.
  9. D

302+M5OD+4406=21MPG and :)!

It went 8.40 in the quarter mile?! If so that is a fast damn car!
  10. D

Bad MPG on 98 EB V8 AWD

Yes however it will not affect mileage that much, honestly if you want really good mileage you need a good custom tune and a clean airfilter and free flowing exhaust. A custom tune that deletes the emission programming and has a more aggressive spark advance map will make a huge difference!
  11. D

Bad MPG on 98 EB V8 AWD

It uses the upstream sensors to make adjustments to the air fuel ratio. The downstream sensors purely monitor the cats. And if the sensor is slow to respond that is only caused by a dieing sensor.
  12. D

1996 4.0 4WD trans leak

Um all explorers except the v8 models have the 5r55e, the limited version only has different interior and exterior trim.
  13. D

Bad MPG on 98 EB V8 AWD

Downstream oxygen sensors only monitor the cats efficiency and do not control the amount of fuel going into the engine.
  14. D

No only 3rd Gen rangers have the correct pedal ass'y. And here is your warning it is a major f-ing PITA to get it out……
  15. D

Gas mileage

I put 31 x 10.50 x 15 BFG KO's on my truck and it removed at least 2-4 MPG!!
  16. D

Excessive exhaust recirculation flow

Either the DPFE is bad or the valve is sticking
  17. D

I will get a video up soon and i never said the 4r70w was a bad trans, i just do not like autos period! Just personal Pref i guess. and no i do not give a **** if anyone else can drive my truck, in fact i like that my wife can not drive it!!!
  18. D

Transmission change today. Found what broke. Pic.

That holds the stator stationary inside the converter, without it the converter cannot multiply torque and that looks like metal fatigue to me, these are pretty robust transmissions, they put them in much bigger and heavier vehicles and they last just fine.
  19. D

Audio System Questions

That's interesting, you would think it would make it sound better being that its an amplifier but I suppose aftermarket radios have better amps built right into them.
  20. D

I suppose it would be bad to also say I hollowed out all 4 of my cats then………:p::p:
  21. D

No I had the stock ecu reprogrammed by henson performance out of alabama. I also had him to delete the emissions functions.
  22. D

Audio System Questions

Oh I see, why wouldn't you just get a stock replacement radio if you're just concerned with a tape player not working??
  23. D

ignition lock cylinder help.

In the time it takes you guys to mess with the lock cylinder you can go to the junk yard get a used column and install it in about an hour………
  24. D

4405 to 1354-E swap sensor questions

Those 3 wire sensors are only for the electronic 4 wheel drive shift, you get your speed signal for the speedometers from the two wire sensor in the back near the output shaft
  25. D

Audio System Questions

What is so bad about the factory amplifier??
Back