Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. T

Anyone change wheel bearings on their X?

My daughter just changed it out on my Explorer... hopefully this is helpful.
  2. T

4th Gen Explorer 4.0 or 4.6?

I'm kind of sad to hear this... I had a 2002 Ford Explorer Sport that I bought used in 2008 w/ 32k miles on it. I drove it until 2019 when I donated it just before I deployed. It had 186k miles on it when I donated it. It had the 4.0 SOHC motor. I maintained it well, and had to do the usual...
  3. T

Dash beeping, ABS / Trac / Brake Failure - What do I need to replace?

Hey guys, sorry to bother you all with this. This is an ongoing problem that I've not been able to deal with. For the past two years, my 2009 Explorer has had a continuous beeping sound. It gives me this error which says "braking system error" and the traction control, ABS, and brake lights are...
  4. T

Thinking of upgrading my 2009 Ford Explorer Sport

Hey guys... I really like my 2009... it's a fantastic car, I even love the color. But I want more. It's only a 4.0 SOHC with rear wheel drive... I'm thinking of installing 4x4 hardware, and sourcing the 4.6 3v V8 as well. I really don't know a lot about these cars, but my thought was that I'd...
  5. T

2009 Explorer Sport won't stop beeping at me...

Incidentally, this is my post from January of this year, about the same problem... https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/threads/30-second-alarm-check-brake-system-service-rsc-soon.491574/#post-3872829 The Scanner didn't tell me anything, and it didn't log anything valuable. I really don't feel...
  6. T

2009 Explorer Sport won't stop beeping at me...

Guys, I love this car... I mean it... it's fantastic. It started beeping at me about 2 years ago. I've been busy, and the car drives fantastic, so I haven't really fussed with it. It started off intermittently... only when on a rare occasion I'd accelerate a little fast, the ABS / TRAC light...
  7. T

30 second alarm, CHECK BRAKE SYSTEM, SERVICE RSC SOON!!!

Roger... I'll do that on the way to work tomorrow. Thank you! Also, thank you for the information on the wheel hubs.
  8. T

So, I'm thinking it's my front wheel hub... at least one of them. Thinking I may just replace both. Question though... all the hubs I see on Rock Auto have a splined inner ring... my car does not have 4 wheel drive. Do the non 4x4 cars also have a splined inner ring? If I wanted to replace both...
  9. T

OK! So I just scanned the car (OBD2 codes first) and it returned nothing. I then scanned separately the ABS codes, and it gave me a B-1342 code... which says ECU suspect. So... ? Any thoughts? Thanks guys!
  10. T

Which year is the most reliable Explorer?

Yeah, not a single wheel bearing... also, I think I went through like 3 sets of tires. The brake calipers were still original also. But I routinely did the maintenance. I flushed the brake lines (completely) twice during the life of the car, replaced the fuel filter twice, crank PCV valve...
  11. T

Absolutely, will do! Thanks! FYI, total tangent... I just started up my Crown Victoria tonight. I literally had not started it in over 8 months. Started right up. Drove to the gas station and put some fresh gas in it... ran awesome. Brakes were scraping... lol... but the car has tons of power.
  12. T

The car overall was really good to me... I bought it in 2008 cash for $7,500? with 32k miles on it, and donated it in Aug of 2019 w/ 186k miles on it. This is everything I did during the life of the car: 1 - Replace 5R55E with a reman in Aug of 2011. ~$2,400 --- everything else replaced...
  13. T

Thanks guys, just bought this bad boy from Summit: Innova 3130F Innova OBD2 ScanTools with FixAssist and ABS Color Screen | Summit Racing Does ABS codes as well as everything else. It will be replacing my old ACTRON.
  14. T

Sigh, somehow I managed to get both quoted blocks right next to each other and cannot separate them, hahah... so I'll respond to both together. 94 Eddie... I reluctantly agree about the 5R55E. Although my 2002 is now... 200k+ miles on the same engine (at least 186k when I had it) with no...
  15. T

Ok, that settles it then, I just need an OBD2 reader that can read ABS codes. I assumed that was something that wasn't common anymore... I'll get something off Summit or Jegs today (not buying from Amazon anymore). Thanks guys! Blackhawkxx... yeah... the car was babied by the previous owner...
  16. T

Friends, family, strangers, and fellow Ford Explorer aficionados... I am a pathetic excuse for a car guy. I've not really turned a wrench in almost a decade. When I was in my 20s and 30s, I was constantly swapping motors, rebuilding engines, converting cars from automatics to manuals... and I...
  17. T

Very surprised to hear people say this? I had a 2002 Ford Explorer Sport which I loved dearly. I bought it in 2009 w/ 32k miles on it. It was in great shape, but I got it for cheap because apparently a bunch of people threw up in it, and got in an accident, which had been completely repaired...
  18. T

Looking for some performance products to upgrade my Explorer...

Awesome, thank you. I had an SCT Tune done by Blue Oval Chips on my 2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX, and the thing will literally burn the rubber off on my 16" unlimited slip 2.73:1 rear wheel unless I lift up off the gas. It's hilarious... shift is so hard it'll throw you into the back seat. But...
  19. T

Hi! Thank you, I wish it was a V8, but it's the 4.0 SOHC V6... thanks!
  20. T

Oh yeah, this is a picture of my Explorer...
  21. T

Hey guys... don't know if I've mentioned yet (I'm more of a lurker) but I donated my 2002 Ford Explorer Sport 2-door to a 16-year old with straight-As in the neighborhood nearby. The kid has over 200k miles on the original engine (he got it from me with 186k miles) and still runs, never smokes...
  22. T

Just got a new Ford Explorer...

Thanks guys, I appreciate the comments. I'm looking to upgrade the car, but don't want to change it too much. I'm not really familiar with this year, but I'm curious what kind of performance parts are available. I know with a lot of Ford vehicles, there's always that "1 year only" part that's...
  23. T

Just got a new Ford Explorer...

Well, not new... but it's new to me. I donated my old 2002 Ford Explorer Sport (2-door) w/ 4.0L about 7 months ago. I gave it to a kid in the neighborhood that was just getting his license, had straight As, and needed a car. He totally buffed it out, and cleaned it up. It had 183k miles on it...
  24. T

Blown headgasket? Coolant Leak? Man...

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!! I poked around a bit more with a flashlight, and sure enough... it was that stupid black plastic contraption at the top that supposedly leaks on all these cars. Thank God!!!
  25. T

Blown headgasket? Coolant Leak? Man...

Hey guys, I love my Explorer, and I really don't want to get rid of it. The car has been draining the overflow tank repeatedly over the past several months. The car is a 2002 Explorer Sport with the 4.0 SOHC w/ 140k miles. I assumed it was the water pump, so I just bought a new one and tore...
Back