Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. N

4wd Pop Going Straight

I really can't think of anything else that would make that sound. Isn't the hubs, just replaced those, not ball joints, they're all good. Not a loose wheel. So it has to be somewhere in the drivers side of the frond end or in the CV shaft. I've put almost 100K miles on the Explorer myself...
  2. N

4wd Pop Going Straight

I should mention the tires are slightly oversized in the interest of full disclosure.
  3. N

4wd Pop Going Straight

Ya. Tires are 75% or so and transfer case doesn't leak so I assume it would be full. You can tell its coming from the left front somewhere. I can feel it in my left foot near the dead pedal. Not sure anything else from that. Only happens when I give a lot of power to the front wheels and...
  4. N

4wd Pop Going Straight

Hey guys. Did a quick search but didn't find any results that were just like my problem. The other day I had my explorer screwing around on some gravel roads and took off hard in 4wd going straight. The front end popped pretty hard a few times. Today again it did it and I'm not sure what...
  5. N

Rear End and Front End Swap

Thanks for the info. What about the front end tag? Do they use the same naming? NEil
  6. N

Rear End and Front End Swap

I have a 97 SOHC 4x4 Explorer with the 45 Rear axle code. Per my research I see that that means I have the 3.55 open rear end. I have had a bad seal in the front end for a long time and now finally I think the bearings are going out on at least one of the ends in the FRONT end. The vehicle is...
  7. N

1997 SOHC oil leak

BubbaFL, you were 100% right. Its just a shame you posted about two days too late. I ripped the engine out and as it was hanging from the hoist in my shop, I figured I would degrease it and clean it so I could crank it over by hand and try to build enough oil pressure to find a leak. So as I...
  8. N

Help keep blowing fuse 19

What are your results from the test procedure from above? We need more info to make a solid diagnosis.
  9. N

1997 SOHC oil leak

Update 2 The valley is full of oil. Not sure how it could be getting in there. Any suggestions. Toward the rear of the valley there is maybe a half inch of oil pooled in there. It is running down around the bell housing starting where the thermostat housing would bolt to the head on the...
  10. N

4th Gen "brown wire mod"

Mine is a 97 sohc and I found and switched fuse #27 I think. Can't remember for sure. But to get around the light, I always flip it to 4wd and then cut the case. No nagging lights afterward. So the entire process would be flip to 4hi, hit the switch to kill the transfer case, do a burnout...
  11. N

Engine Upgrade

Just sell what you have and buy something different. It will be far easier and more reliable.
  12. N

1997 SOHC oil leak

Update So I have the engine nearly pulled after only two nights of wrenching by myself. Upon further inspection, there is oil all over the back of the engine. The bell housing is covered and I really though the rear main was the problem but I pulled the starter and found no oil inside. so its...
  13. N

1997 SOHC oil leak

Hey guys. Sorry if this is in the wrong spot. I recently replaced a 97 SOHC engine about two months ago with another junker motor. The original one lost a head gasket and had bad timing chains. I got it from some shady guy called Park Motors in Michigan and he screwed me over on the price and...
  14. N

Need New Tires

I've never been pleased with a Goodyear tire. I've had ATS and RTS goodyears. They just don't last.
  15. N

Need New Tires

Just bought General Grabber AT2s for a set of 16s I have. 255/70 R16. Perfect look and size and everything. tires are a little noisy but my exhaust is louder. the tires are amazing though. and a reasonable price too.
  16. N

engine swap help

I'd probably bet 500 bucks you can't.
  17. N

Help keep blowing fuse 19

budwich has you taken care of. Solid troubleshooting process.
  18. N

engine swap help

I seriously doubt it. Can't be certain but i'd give it nearly no chance.
  19. N

Battery problem, I think.

Just replace both. If your battery is older than 3 yrs old its good practice anyway. Sounds like an alternator to me though.
  20. N

Need New Tires

I've heard good things about Firestone Destination LE tires from a friend. I have no personal experience because I always go All Terrain instead. I imagine almost all All Season tires are about the same. You probably can't get worse than goodyear. They are junk.
  21. N

Maybe on the last leg

If you're looking for a used engine, I bought one here. Make sure you know what you need and are getting before you make the deal. http://car-part.com/ Also remember part prices are ALWAYS negotiable despite what the yard people want you to think.
  22. N

Good price

I can tell you it is a good price. BUT. Most time you get what you pay for.
  23. N

Min spare tire size

There is hardly any wiggle room with the SOHC engines. They all have AWD transfer cases and if you don't have the same diameter tire, don't put it on there or you'll have a torched transfer case. Don't listen to what anyone else says on this forum. It will cause damage unless you're traveling...
  24. N

Rear end/spring upgrades?

First of all, thanks to all active members that make the forum one of the best on the net. Secondly, my question. I have a 1997 SOHC XLT 4dr 4x4 Explorer. It has a rear end code of "45". As far as i know, it never had a tow pack. I have access to cheap salvage parts. I decoded the rear...
  25. N

Min spare tire size

Small Spare Tire Damage I'm not absolutely certain, but I put a small 215 or so size tire on my Explorer which was essentially a car tire. I blew a tire on the interstate and it was all I had under the vehicle. When this happened, my transfer case was shot SHORTLY after and when i took the...
Back