Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. S

How to: How To: Drivers Exterior Door Handle Replacement

i found some screws at work, they are slotted but 1/4. used external star washers and star washer nuts, i did attach the spring to the back of the threads on the door handle. and put a nyloc on just so it wouldnt ride off. by the time i got off work, there was no chance of getting to any parts...
  2. S

hey thanks koda2000, since i had the extra door close and it was from a low km use vehicle i thought why not.(plus being long weekend, not too much stuff open) will have to check into the alarm stuff sometime later.
  3. S

Really helpful information on here. I Have to do this handle swap also on my 1998 explorer , i stole a exterior handle out of a 2002 sport trac door to swap into my 1998 explorer. it looks the same. but havent taken off the explorer handle yet, unfortunately my door latch spring is broken, so i...
  4. S

98 Explorer , installed 2002 sport trac seat but?

Hi all, been a while since i posted and hope this is the right section. 98 explorer, my front left seat rod lift bracket broke again, and this was welded up a couple times so it has had enough with major rebuilding, I picked up a set of seats from a 2002 rollover, low kms, so the seat fits...
  5. S

A/C compressor kicks in and out lots ?

hes the guy that does alot of A/C, mostly heavier equipemnt. we have a A/C tester that tells what type it is and the real gauges, not something that comes with a can. the temp here just got into the 90's barely, havent used it much because i thought it was low the hydrocarbon reading is...
  6. S

A/C compressor kicks in and out lots ?

my a/c compressor is kicking in and out constantly, not much cold air in max, and a touch in normal. had the mechanic at work hook up the gauges, and tested good hi-pressure, so no leaks and even the refrigerant was 99% pure, so a little bit of hydrocarbon he said. The problem he says might...
  7. S

CV Axle Replacement How To (Pictures)

i just cleaned mine and siliconed where theere was a small tear, so they should be ok, thanks
  8. S

How To: Upper Control Arm / Ball Joint Replacement (Lots of Pictures)

some guys are using the loctite freezeand release stuff, check here http://loctitefreezeandrelease.com/aaaa.htm , i gave my bolt lots of lube and let it sit, also whacked around the sides with a hammer for a bit to loosen anything, then had to rock it back and forth with the impact and...
  9. S

can those dust excluder seals that go on the outer end of the CV axle be re-used or do you replace them, the dealership here doesnthave them, so it may take a bit to get some
  10. S

Bank 1&2 Lean

i did all the tests as per stickies also, eventually had to changed out the gaskets, i was getting some funny rpms also when it was cold, of course this didnt happen when it was warm up here, so had to take it in to Ford dealer
  11. S

98 4wd cv, dust excluder seals?

changing out the cv axles, and the hubs on my 1998 explorer 4wd, do you guys that have done this buy new seals or reuse the old ones? they are about $74 for two from ford, and i have to order them in.
  12. S

How To: Replacing Front Hub / Bearing 1995+ Ford Explorer IFS

thanks for this, im also doing cv's and pulling the front diff to reseal. no breaker bars for me having a MAC 1/2 impact and lotsa sockets left over from my Heavy Duty mechanic days helps. still have to get my rotor off first, or pull the entire assembly and get the rotor off later.
  13. S

good tips guys, im going to have to do this soon on mine
  14. S

98 Explorer swapout seats to 02 sportrac

havent done it yet, the seats are in the garage, and i grabbed most of the floor wiring out of the sport trac before it went to the scrap yard. the biggest thing will be to get the passenger seat just working, the passenger seat out of the sport trac has power adjustments, the explorer...
  15. S

need help front end grinding and clunking !! 96 ex awd

well i guess it sounds like your are replacing cv shafts, it is only a few more bolts to remove and check the front diff out. this is also a good time to check front wheel bearings, i think i priced them out and the whole hub assembly is what you buy, (double check that) i couldnt begin to...
  16. S

need help front end grinding and clunking !! 96 ex awd

I have found more problems on howling with the gearset, CV's tend to knock a bit more around corners when acclerating
  17. S

98 SOHC rough idle

mine was the intake gaskets and intake itself being cracked, check my post out that you replied in
  18. S

98 SOHC Explorer - Rough idle when cold

Fixed, see post #2
  19. S

THE FIX 1-Intake gaskets changed 2-Lower intake cracked around oring groove from previous owner, this pulled oring into intake 3-Had new lower intake manifold installed 4-PCM update 5-Plugs changed Runs great in morning now ( I didnt do this myself as my garage is full with another project...
  20. S

My 98 explorer is running real rough when cold, down to freezing temp here now. What it does is go from about 1500 rpm, then down to 500, and hunts up and down, sometimes stalls out, so i have to play around with the gas pedal to keep it running. As the temp got colder this got worse over...
  21. S

98 SOHC rough idle

i have a 98 sohc XLT, doing the same thing from 1300 to 600 when cold, it dies sometimes when cold, but runs better when warm, im messing with checking stuff and swapping out a sensor, will let you know whats up
  22. S

well got the seats so far, big thing is the passenger seat from the sport trac is electrical adjustments versus the explorer being manual adjustments
  23. S

98 Explorer Rear hatch light switch

damn thats easy, thanks for the quick reply
  24. S

98 Explorer Rear hatch light switch

just wondering where the switch is that turns on the interior lights when the hatch is open, I would like to disconnect for times when i have the hatch open for extended periods
  25. S

im picking up a pair of leather 02 sportrac seats for $20, they are leather, with heating, and am going to swap em into my 98 xlt explorer, difference is the sport trac are heated. is there a seperate harness for heat power, i can still take the wiring out of the wrecked sport trac
Back