Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. T

Right turns causing radio to short, antenna to go up and down

Actually I'm not losing presets during the brief time that the power is lost to the radio (right turns can only take so long, luckily). In my fantasy world what is happening is that the connection between the radio and the antenna which has a hot lead to it is shorting out, and that is making...
  2. T

That fuse is in there TIGHT. It was a PITA getting my fingers in there tight enough to pull the thing out, and even when I got a grip on it the thing sure didn't come out easily. It wasn't a winch job by any means, but it didn't slide out like it was packed in a tube of KY, either. Definitely...
  3. T

That's what I'm thinking as well, countrymz. Hopefully I'll be able to have the truck to myself this weekend at least one of the days so that I can try and find the problem myself. Do any of you know whether I would have to remove the fender itself to trace this wiring? I've got a good...
  4. T

I spent the better part of an hour last night trying to explain to my rig that centrifugal force did not, in fact, exist and therefore the problems it were experiencing were most likely to be psychosomatic. First right-hand turn I came to? Same problem. This is going to be harder than I...
  5. T

It's tough to say which happens first, either the loss of radio or the retraction of the antenna. Seems simultaneous really. Hopefully tomorrow I can get out to Knecht's and pick up some star wrenches.
  6. T

Update time... Saturday afternoon I climbed in and pulled out the head unit to make sure that the connections were looking good. They were. Attached tightly. I even jerked the HU around quite a bit to see if I could get the problem to happen. It didn't. Then I took my hand back into the...
  7. T

I spoke too soon. The problem returned last night. If I'm not fishing this weekend I'll check out what I can about the antenna. I've got a feeling it's in there.
  8. T

I'll put the old fuse back in tonight and see if it makes a difference. If it goes back to the same problem then I'll put the new one back in and continue to wonder why a right-hand turn would affect that fuse(?) I'm not worried about the clock reset thing. I'm getting damned good at...
  9. T

Update! A couple nights ago I ripped the fuse panel off and pulled the 10 am fuse out of slot 29 and took a look at it. Looked great, but for giggles I swapped it with a fresh 10 amp. So far my wife and I have driven all over the place, including sweeping right-hand turns that used to...
  10. T

Thanks for replying. The radio that's in there now is the stock system (5 speakers, CD-changer, etc) and when turning the wheels completely to the right during a slow roll in reverse it doesn't give me the problem, so I'm betting as well that it has to do with centrifugal (did I spel that...
  11. T

This is a frustrating one and I'm not sure where to start looking on this. As the title states, whenever I do a right turn above about 15 mph with the radio on (radio including CD or tape) the power on the radio shuts completely off and the antenna starts to retract. Once the turn is...
Back