Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. E

Cylinder #8 misfire

On my o2 ex..I have 185k on it. The service engine light came on and it was running rough .the code was #8 cylinder misfire. I changed the coil pack. There was an oily spark plug. I cleaned it off and drove the car and the ervice engine light went off and it rode fine....for a while. a few weeks...
  2. E

changing plugs and coils on my V8

I changed all 8 plugs. ! through 4 were no problem. 5 through 8 were a little oily. 6 was the worst. Tons of oil in the well. Surprisingly the coil pac was in good shape. I put everything back together and it ran smoothly. One week, to the day, later the X runs like **** again and the service...
  3. E

Good stuff guys, I amd going to tackle the plugs today and i will post the results.
  4. E

Thanks Waskly, good tip on the plug socket wrench. I will definatly get one. Rick, you say not to bother with the coils, the thing is how do I know that I don't need them, but you suggest boots, that come with coils and springs......I'm a little confused, sorry, just trying to get it...
  5. E

Thanks waskly, Is there anything to be cautious about? Looks like I may have to move some stuff on the passenger side, hoses etc. Looks kinda tight. Im going to give it a shot tomorrow..... Thanks again
  6. E

I need to change the plugs and coils as cylinder #6 is misfiring and I havent done a tune up since 100K. I now have 171k, so I think it is time!! Can anyone help me with this? Are there pics of this being done. I have only done plugs and wires before. I am un familiar with the coils. I'm...
  7. E

Heater/thermostat problem please help!

I have the same problem The dealer said that the thermostat was bad. I replaced it and now its blowing cold again. Is there a different thermastat that can be used?
  8. E

2002 Ford Explorer V8 hummmm noise from rear differential

Same issue with mine. I am trying to eliminate the rear bearings as the culprit. If the whine continues through exceleration and goes away when you take your foot off the gas I would suspect the diff. otherwise change the wheel bearings. Mine has 165000 so it wouldn't hurt.
  9. E

winding noise from engine at start up

I have determined that the noise at start up is the timing chain. Either the guides or the cassette or something in there needs to be replaced. I can't pinpoint it unless I open it up..... Do I need to pull the engine? If so, this X might have to rattle it's way to it's death... Bummer
  10. E

Changing fuel filter on third generation X

Just finished the fuel filter replacement and without this thread it wouldn''t have happened, so thank you to all involved. I will say that the procedure is fairly simple if you understand that there are two types of connections. One that needs the "METAL TOOL" (it really makes a big difference)...
  11. E

2002 Explorer black pillar trim

Stu, yes I did sand them. I used a very fine wet sand paper, 800 grit, I think. It really made the difference. They came out nice and smooth. I went to my local "Auto Zone" and found the Krylon paint and clear laquer. I taped everything off and sprayed the paint on in two coats, then the laquer...
  12. E

Noise in the tranny

what are the symptoms when you are driving? It could be lots of different things
  13. E

I did a coolant flush...nada. All pulleys are good. I am going to look at thr camshaft position sensor. I've heard that these can go bad and create this type of noise. If that does't fix it....I'm going to call a priest
  14. E

2002 grinding while turning when accelerating

have you thought about your wheel bearings. Just a thought...grinding sound especially on turns. If the bearings fail completely then you will experience a lot of noise and you will definately feel it
  15. E

It's odd that the noise goes away when not accelerating, I have read some threads here and some people have suggested a drivetrain problem. I think that it has something to do with fluid...Tranny, coolant, water pump. It's not constant. I have a new serpentine belt, the second idler pulley is...
  16. E

Has anyone else experienced this... When I start my 02 x, (from cold) there is a distinct winding noise coming from the engine. I'ts kinda high piched. When I Accelerate the noise increases with the acceleration until I let my foot off the gas, then it stops. It goes away slowly while the engin...
  17. E

My interior lights stay on even after the engine is turned off.

Palmetto Ford is still there. I have a good friend that works in the body shop there.
  18. E

After all the AWESOME information I read from all of you, I systematically went through all the advice. I pulled back the rubber boot between the drivers door and the body of the x and there it was, the thick black wire was pulled apart. I could see both ends. I used a scrap piece of wire the...
  19. E

STU, the rear defrost didn't trigger the door ajar light. But I'm about to look for a loose, broken or damaged wire between the door and body...will let you know what I find.Thank you again for the information
  20. E

Wow..you have just described more of my symptoms with my "posessed" explorer. I was going to call a priest or something to get rid of the evil spirit living in the electrical system!! Thank you for the info. I'm checking everything.
  21. E

2002 Explorer black pillar trim

I painted all my crapy faded trim pieces and they look great. Krylon glodd black for plastic and a clear laquer. $12 and 60 minutes later.....done
  22. E

Thank you STU. As soon as the sun comes up I'm going to try that!! I amm determined to lick this thing. I'll keep you posted.
  23. E

OK heres the deal.....the interior lights went off after 10 mins (not bad) All I have done so far is wd40 the door latched. I was about to check the interior light relay. Before all this crap started, when i turned off the car the radio and the interior lights would stay on and time out after...
  24. E

Thanks for the information guys, I am going to check the relay. I looked at #17 fuse today and it was fine. Do you think there is a connection between the interior lights and the door lock switch? The switch works fine when i manually turn off the interior lights
  25. E

I have a 2002 explorer ltd. Out of the blue, the interior lights stay on after the engine is shut off. The never go out (mirror lights also) I have lubed every door hinge...nothing, I make sure all doors are closed...nothing, those damn lights won't go out. One other thing..the drivers side door...
Back