Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. I

Timing Chain Pictures!?!

Well, I replaced the rear chain tensioner and didn't pull out the old chain guides. It was excessively easy, just 3-5 screws holding the inner fender liner, and one bolt. From there, pulling the tensioner out is like changing a light bulb. I timed this entire process from the moment I started...
  2. I

Timing Chain Pictures!?!

Hey thanks Don, those are all salient points. Of course, nobody should ever think something will last forever, or that it will be without problem even with meticulous maintenance. Basically you're confirming my assertion, that these parts are far less likely to have issue; essentially...
  3. I

Timing Chain Pictures!?!

From what I'm gathering, it would seem as if the tensioners and the guides were the main issue with this engine, '97-'02. I'm understanding that the post 2002 parts have solved this issue, and once we put those parts in, the issue essentially goes away and this engine is a great engine. From...
  4. I

Trade new SOHC jackshaft tensioner for your old one!

If you're still looking, i'm going to be tearing one down. I'm sure this has been resolved long ago, though. So, how did it turn out?
  5. I

Timing Chain Pictures!?!

I was out at a junkyard pulling parts off an explorer the other day and decided to pull out the fender liner on one just to see. I could not see any access to anything. I don't see where you access to put parts in--unless it's just the little black plug and you're replacing the little plug...
  6. I

Timing Chain Pictures!?!

The breeze.... How does one do the rear tensioners easily? I haven't seen anything indicating it's easy. Please share? Also, do you have any info on the check valave-where it is and how to install it? It's not in my Haynes manual! Thanks all!
  7. I

HELP!! Need to replace Rear Timing Chain Tensioner

Rear tensioner change 4.0 SOHC So, any progress on this? I'm needing to do this also and it's got me totally stymied. I can't see how you do this and my Haynes manual is terrible (pay attention here Haynes!). I can't see how you get into this from the rear without tearing out either the...
  8. I

Anyone who has replaced the RH Cassette

Here's what I've found on how to do this: How to strip intake manifold off: Dead Link Removed Procedures to pull engine (very detailed checklist): http://sohcreplace.blogspot.com/2008/06/1997-2005-4.html Plus his link to the photos: Dead Link Removed Tools to keep cam in place...
Back