Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. T

The aftermath

While there is no obvious reason for disuse to cause a problem you do have a 14 year old car. Do you have a PS fluid leak? Did you have to add fluid? Air in the system from having low fluid level can cause noise. The recommended way to get any air out is to jack up the front wheels and turn...
  2. T

How to: Explorer 5.0 Swap info detailed photos/wiring descriptions. Into non OBD2 veh

OK, you have a '97 Explorer 302 fuel injected in your '98 4wd ranger with, I a '97 4R70W transmission. Engine, tranny, transfer case, engine wiring and pcm are all '97 Mountaineer. You are getting codes; P0708 for transportation range switch high input. Tech at work put computer on it and said...
  3. T

Solved Everything you wanted to know about PATS.

There is a PATS module mounted behind the glove box in the '00 Explorer. It is a signal converter between the key/barrel reader and the PCM. Not a high failure item. I have one free for shipping if you feel the need.
  4. T

Suddenly missing

The resolution of this issue was that the coil had apparently failed and was replaced with a JY coil in my junk drawer. Still had the P0353 code so I did some research on which coil is the 'C' coil. Turns out that the designation is: A B C D While standing in front of the car. I had...
  5. T

Suddenly missing

Could this be part of the problem?:
  6. T

Suddenly missing

My '00 Explorer 302 currently residing in a Volvo yesterday started missing. Throwing P0353 'C' coil. Swapped the coil since I had one and same problem. Been reading for the last half hour and there are reports of everything from vacuum leaks to IAC issues to spark plug wires and plugs to...
  7. T

While I can only guess what your problem is I had similar symptoms associated with the steering wheel. Car would start reliably most of the time. 'Most of the time' is a difficult phrase to explain to the wife. Two trips to the Ford store got the 'cannot duplicate the problem' answer...
  8. T

5.0 tuning

Thanks for definitively resolving the cam sensor issue. Both sensors report to the same PCM pin so there has always been a question on whether you could ignore this or have to deal with it. I suspect that the answer is now that it cannot be ignored and will post a link to this discussion in...
  9. T

5.0 tuning

More info on the '96-'97 vs '98 - '01 wiring differences here: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=364540&highlight=testpoint
  10. T

Power Steering pump spline

You don't mention the reason for checking the pulleys but I would make the assumption that you are chasing some noise as I have done recently. Replacing the pump did not accomplish anything. I would suggest that if it is not leaking and the steering effort is normal to just leave it alone.
  11. T

help needed for replacement engine

You might start at car-parts.com. That is a parts search engine for wreaking yards all over the country. Link down to your specific engine and you should get a hundred or so to choose from. Or . . . call a local yard and ask them to help you find one. They have on-line search capability...
  12. T

Explorer can't seem to find the problem ...

Fuel filter?
  13. T

How about some Vehicle Diagnostic Software for use on a Laptop?

I borrowed an AutoEnginuity setup to diagnose an auto transmission shifting problem on a Jaguar. The dealer said that the Transmission Control Module was bad but I wasn't going to lay $2500 on the parts counter to find out. The test demonstrated that the TCM was not releasing the torque...
  14. T

PATS is a software switch in the PCM. Absolutely no way to 'work around' it. Believe me, I tried. You can either pay someone to turn off the switch at a cost of several hundred bucks or convert your '00 to a '97 which is no easy task costing several hundred bucks or pay a Ford dealer several...
  15. T

Fuel pressure

The fuel rail pressure should be 60 - 65 psi but I do not think that I have ever seen a full throttle pressure specification. Twenty-two seems a little low.
  16. T

5.0 tuning

The simple tune you describe can be done by anyone remotely if you have the SCT device. I never visited James and he made all sorts of changes to my programming. You might contact SCT and ask for a shop near you. http://www.sctflash.com/#3 We are going to miss James.
  17. T

You will not not find that in the schematics anywhere. PATS is truly internal software to the PCM. Even the PATS Module which processes the key code to PCM does not affect the PCM's software unless it provides an internal unlock code to the PCM. Ford's objective was to create a Passive Anti...
  18. T

And there is a PATS module mounted behind the glove box on the Explorer. You are going to have to get specific in fine detail about your situation to avoid the software solution.
  19. T

By far the simplest but most expensive is to have PATS disabled in your PCM software. That eliminates all steering column and other PATS issues entirely. Not at all difficult but custom tuners expect to be paid handsomely for their knowledge and equipment. Actually, PATS disable consist of...
  20. T

5.0 tuning

James seems to have disappeared from the World Wide Web but may have morphed into Henson Performance. That too does not show up on WWW but does on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/pages/HensonPerformance/264028204474 Please post back with what you find out.
  21. T

Rebuilt engine or replace.

Machine shop access and cost have just about eliminated local rebuild efforts. One NAPA dealer in a 3 county local area has the equipment to boil, surface and bore a block and head. You will notice that shoe shops have gone out of business also. My evaluation in rural GA is that a production...
  22. T

AC Blows out all freon

Anyone capable of changing out a compressor should be capable of determining what this problem is. All he has to do is connect his gauges to determine if his seeming assumption is correct.
  23. T

2001 Explorer XLT fuel issue

The fuel pressure sensor provides feedback to the PCM to manage the fuel pressure by pulsing the DC power to the pump. So, yes it could be a problem but not likely and not the first place I would start. The PCM will energize the fuel pump for 2-3 seconds each time the ignition switch is...
  24. T

Spark Plug Sequence

Try here: https://www.google.com/search?q=Spark+plug+numbering+2004+explorer+v8&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0CB4QsARqFQoTCMvNyKzUkMcCFQGigAodTW8INA&biw=1200&bih=626#imgrc=YjiYpwKNDJr1iM%3A
Back