Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. E

2008 explorer 4x4 rear loaded knuckles

figured I'd update this. I had to replace driver side rear wheel bearing so i got a loaded moog knuckle. been just over a year and the bearing went bad. instead of replacing it under warranty, i said screw it and got a cheap 20-ton press then got a timkin bearing and hub and pressed that into...
  2. E

4.6L, anyone burning oil?

****. may have a problem then. there's no sludge, though. had a valve cover off when i changing the vvt solenoid, it was clean. but, and this is gonna sound stupid, i was changing the plugs and a screwdriver fell in the open hole. when i was pulling it out, i twisted it by accident and i could...
  3. E

i'd say a quart every two weeks or so. i'm just curious really. i'm normally very religious about the oil changes, but there was a period a couple years ago where i let it go about 20,000 miles over. i've always wondered if that contributed to the burning now. or if they're all getting like that...
  4. E

got 195,000 miles on my 2010 4.6, and it's been burning oil. just curious if anyone else with a high-mileage 4.6 have the same issue?
  5. E

Suspension replacement/upgrade

Thanks for the awesome write-up! I already bought the KYB's so I guess I'm stuck. That's ok though, I got the 20" OEM wheels and drive like a goddamn maniac (northeast driving right? lol) so if they handle better i'm on board!
  6. E

Suspension replacement/upgrade

Hey did you ever get these going? I'm looking to buy the KYB's and was just wondering how you like the ride. thanks!
  7. E

How to: Replace your heater core, the easy way

I'd say about 8 hours, but I split it up over the 3-day weekend. It actually wasn't that bad. Just the fact that the A/C evap unit didn't have to be removed pretty much removed all the stress. If I had known that going in, I would have had a smile on my face!
  8. E

If you take off the steering wheel, the clockspring is exposed. It's not supposed to be rotated, so I taped it to the steering column
  9. E

I already did a blend door a few years ago, without removing the dash. How I don't know. I had to bend my hands in ways that I didn't think was possible lol
  10. E

Thanks Rick! Appreciate it! :chug:
  11. E

So now that our '06-'10 Explorers are getting up there in age and mileage (I know mine is, 167,000) you might have to replace your heater core. I started hearing the engine fan roaring on the highway, I figured cause it was hot weather. Then I check the coolant and it's low. Fill it and go a...
  12. E

Brake Problems - Soft Pedal

same boat. I had a 2008 and now my 2010, brakes on both are absolute garbage
  13. E

2010 Ford Explorer Sync upgrade from 3.01 to 4.6 -- Worth it?

I did it, to be honest I didn't really notice any improvement. But I usually try to stay current
  14. E

4.6 engine, issue with timing chain tensioners

yep, been running the motorcraft fl820s since I bought it with 25,000 miles. I've read how some filters don't have a proper checkvalve and let oil drain back, thanks. Now onto the exhaust manifold which I'm sure will have broken studs and will be a nightmare, lol
  15. E

4.6 engine, issue with timing chain tensioners

Just wanted to update this. After dealing with this for a year and replacing the tensioners again with ford OEM tensioners, noise was still there. I finally replaced the passenger-side VVT solenoid and that fixed it! I couldn't believe the solenoid could cause a rattle like that. Hope this helps...
  16. E

Possible '10 S/T purchase

I have a regular 2010 explorer with a 4.6, not a ST, but here are the problems I've had: The trans "bumps" when coming to a stop, almost feels like you're getting rear-ended. very annoying. The 2010 has a 6R80 trans which was supposed to fix the problem but it's still there. A dealer flashed...
  17. E

2008 Exp Vibration/Noise???

Sounds good. All I'm saying is that it might not be a bad idea to replace them anyway, especially with that mileage. It could fix your problem and prevent you from being stuck on the road. Here's a video when mine went bad, notice how the RPM drops when the warning kicked on, I guess because the...
  18. E

2008 Exp Vibration/Noise???

Are you sure it's not the wheel bearings? Just saying, they are notorious for going bad. I've had a 2008 and a 2010 and they've gone bad on both. It might not be a bad idea to replace them. When the bearing went bad on my 2010, it screwed up the ABS sensor. A loud alarm sounded from the...
  19. E

oil change for axles and transfer case

No, and I've read that on this forum! all of the plugs were 3/8
  20. E

No problem! I used all valvoline oil, 75w140 synthetic for the rear, 80w90 non-synthetic for the front. For some reason, the service manual doesn't state to use synthetic in the front, and I couldn't find it two different auto-parts stores anyway. For the transfer case, valvoline has an oil just...
  21. E

I just changed the oil on both axles and transfer case on my 2010 with a 4.6 and just thought I'd post this, maybe it will help someone else out. It was easy! Rear axle had both a fill and drain plug, I crawled underneath and was able to get to both with a 3/8 ratchet. Drained oil and pumped in...
  22. E

Service RSC now after wheel bearing replacement

Yeah I found it. I had a buddy help me and the driver side wasn't plugged all the way in (I swear it wasn't me!). I'm glad it was simple. Thanks guys!
  23. E

Service RSC now after wheel bearing replacement

Hi all, I just replaced both front wheel bearings on my 2010 EB 4.6 and now have the "Service RSC", traction control, and ABS lights on the dash. I know it has to be related to the bearings since the ABS sensor is in there, but I'm at a loss as to what to look at. Anyone run into this? Thanks!
  24. E

Brake pad and rotor recommendation?

I think that means cryogenically frozen
Back