Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. B

Motor dies when starting Hot.

could be the coil heating up or some other ignition component failing. after it cools down it's fine. that would also explain the rough idle. i've never had this problem on an explorer but have had the same thing happen on a buick and the control module in the distributor fix it.
  2. B

Slip on dog leg and rocker panels

Can anyone tell me if LMC's rocker panels (P/N 50-9808 (LH), 50-9809 (RH)) and the doglegs are slip-ons? I've read that the dog legs are only available for the 4 dr but they can be modified to fit the 2 dr. Thanks,
  3. B

99 EX Sport 4.0 4X4 intermittent battery drain

Go to the junk yard and get and used Alternator. If it doesn't fix your problem it only cost a few dollars, an hour of time and you have a backup Alternator. Since I swapped the alternator 7 weeks ago, the vehicle hasn't failed to start yet. Blueraven
  4. B

4 dr bumpers on a Sport

Does anyone know if the bumpers off a 4 dr XLT will fit the same model year 2 dr. Sport?
  5. B

Power Locks Dont Work

I bet you've lost you code somehow. Have you tried reprogramming?
  6. B

Engine or electrical problem

I somewhat agree with Vroom, but I think perhaps you have "trash" in the tank (almost all older tanks have it) and by draining the tank it clogged the fuel pump screen and the pump started to strain trying to draw fuel resulting in pulling too many amps and blowing the fuse. Either way, like...
  7. B

Tires

yep do a search
  8. B

starting problem

Pull the alternator and have it checked out. My Son's EX had a similar problem and even though the alternator checked out OK, I put a used one in anyway and the problem is gone. I have zero doubt that the alternator was bad.
  9. B

Starting a 4.0L SOHC without Transmission.

I agree with StreetRod, what's the point of running the engine? If it starts you still won't know how it will perform under a load. If it doesn't start then what? What makes you think there may be an engine problem? If it ran the last time you started it, it should run now. Of course if...
  10. B

Starter removal 98 4x4 explorer

use various extensions and enter from behind the front wheel
  11. B

Does anyone know where to get some good seat covers?

http://www.autoanything.com/seat-covers/75A5645A0A0.aspx
  12. B

Tire Recommendations

Well in my opinion the BFG TAs are the best, however they come at a price. I decided on Firestone Destination ATs for my Son's EX. They are medium aggressive, ride down the road fairly smoothly and aren't too loud. I'm happy with my choice.
  13. B

Well the problem came back with a vengeance. The good thing is the vehicle wouldn't start at all unless it was jumped. After it ran for a few minutes it would start on it's own, however a few hours later it wouldn't start without help. I determined that the 6 month old battery was dead. I...
  14. B

Brush guard "Will it fit?"

I was able to put a brush guard from a 96 on my Son's 99. It wasn't a perfect fit but after a little ingenuity, it was installed and looks good. Plus I only paid $50 for it.
  15. B

2nd Battery in cabin for accessories (help!)

If you do decide to put in a second battery, then just install a manual level switch and wire the second battery to the existing battery cable and throw the switch when you head out to charge your acc. battery and then throw the switch back when you head home. That way you'll always have two...
  16. B

well there hasn't been post on this subject for a couple of months and I don't want to leave this thread hanging, however since the weather has warmed up the problem has gone away. Looks like I'll have to wait until next winter to start troubleshooting again. Blueraven
  17. B

power locks gone nuts

I had a similar problem where-as my door locks took on a life of their own and would constantly lock and unlock themselves. Turned out one of my remotes went screwy. I would take the batteries out of your remotes one at a time and see if the problem goes away. Blueraven
  18. B

trailer towing with an EX Sport

thanks all, I didn't think it would be a problem but it's nice to have some advice. By the way the axle is D2=4:10 gears. Blueraven
  19. B

trailer towing with an EX Sport

Well I did a search for "Towing" and there's more hits on EXs needing to be towed that the EX actually doing the towing. I've got a '99 EX Sport and I would like to tow a 16' 2000 .lbs travel trailer about 400 miles round trip. The trailer is a rental and I don't anticipate towing another...
  20. B

I read another post about fuse 15 caused charging problems. The thread also stated that ford uses the battery lamp in the dash as a circuit protector for the charging system and if the lamp goes out the battery will not charge. My lamp is not out, but I did reset fuse 15. I can't believe ford...
  21. B

2000 Explorer Alternator Battery Problems

So you guys are saying that Ford uses an none easy access light bulb as a circuit protector for something as critical as battery charging? That's freaking nuts. That being said, I'm have battery drain problems so I guess it's possible the battery isn't fully charging, so I pulled out fuse 15...
  22. B

Well first off the battery has been swapped so I know it's not the battery. After 4 days of flawless starting, today the battery was dead again, so the starter apparently isn't the issue. I don't recall what lead me to believe it was the starter, but it wasn't a total waste seeing that the...
  23. B

Nick, if you are asking me, read 7 threads up, and you will find the answer is "maybe"
  24. B

Well, it's been a couple of months since this problem showed it's ugly head and I thought I would post an update. The EX appears to have a dead battery about once or twice a week. The temp work around has been a battery jump starter. It always has started the truck when the problem of a dead...
  25. B

98 Explorer will not start if not driven for a few days

did you figure out the cause?
Back