Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. L

Dash warning lights all coming on randomly

Thanks for the reply, SportsLab. I wonder if I could put a second external voltage regulator after the alternator. I also was thinking that before I tried a secondary regulator, I might put a voltage tester directly off the alternator to watch for spikes/drops. This wouldn't tell me if I had a...
  2. L

Service Advance Trac warning and dash goes nuts!!!

Thanks for the reply, Sportzcrazy. Mine is a 2008 and the 4x4 control is on the dash. Was this a relay or an electronic module that was bad on yours? Did your paperwork name the module? Thanks again. Jim
  3. L

Do you think the ECU itself may be faulting sporadically?
  4. L

Has Anybody heard of a solution to this???
  5. L

Turns out the start hesitation was due to the key and transponder. I began using the spare key and transponder and no more hesitation upon start. ALL the same problems with warning lights still happening.
  6. L

Service Advance Trac warning and dash goes nuts!!!

I have a 2008 Explorer EB and have had this problem for over a year. VERY Annoying. I've replaced ignition switch (electrical portion), the starter and the alternator. Still does it. If you hear of any solution, Please Post. Thanks. Jim
  7. L

Funny you should ask. My 2008 Eddie Bauer Explorer was fine until one week ago. Same old *$#%@ happening again. I was somewhat happy that my Explorer was error free so long. I'm thinking I may just throw $$$ at the $#%@& and replace the alternator as taking it off and cleaning it had it Not...
  8. L

A quick question about spark plug for the experienced

Besides length, you still need to match the heat range. That's very important. Like most have already said, I prefer Motorcraft or Autolite.
  9. L

Fencesitter looking for Advice on Tires

Tirerack. Definitely. Research through their site and read other owners reviews. I've bought 20 tires through them and another 4 tires from Discount Tires who had the tires I found at Tirerack and matched their price.
  10. L

Dash light warnings Well I cleaned all connections on the alternator while I had it off. They all looked fine. They were shiny and had no signs of corrosion. I cleaned them anyway. I replaced the 2 year old battery with a brand new one. The last thing I did was swap out the key I'd been using...
  11. L

dash light alerts Well I tried having the alternator tested at Autozone. I Was surprised how accessible it is to pull the alternator. They said it's good. I suppose their test only accounts for a 3 minute run and may not show an intermittent problem. I'm gonna swap out the battery today. See...
  12. L

Instrument Cluster Going Crazy

UltraGauge I had never heard of the UltraGauge before so I looked it up. It looks pretty slick. Especially the wireless model. I didn't notice Voltage as one of the things it would monitor. Does it monitor voltage or how were you able to use it to figure out a fluctuation in PCM voltage...
  13. L

Alternator That's the plan. My wife flies to visit her sister this Friday. It's her vehicle and I didn't want to put it out of commission while she needed it. After I get back from the airport, I'm hoping to pull it and have Autozone test it.
  14. L

Dash Lights I haven't ruled out the alternator. I need to connect a volt meter coming out of the alternator to watch while driving. I suspect you may be right about the alternator being the cause of my random dash light warnings but I think the starter problem is separate, as when it doesn't...
  15. L

No Start OK. I've replaced the electrical portion of the ignition switch - no change. Still hesitates to start and sometimes I have to turn the key multiple times to get the starter to engage. I swapped the starter with a known functioning starter. Exact same symptoms. I need a new battery...
  16. L

Battery voltage Yes. I've checked the battery startup voltage. Usually at 13.4 v before turning ignition. Then drops to 11.4 - 11.8 during firing. So far the car has not done the start failure during my tests. Of course that would be too easy. I did replace the electrical portion of the...
  17. L

The battery is 1 1/2 years old. My thought was a problem with the voltage regulator within the alternator. As far as the starting problem, it seems unlikely the alternator would cause such a problem, as my understanding is the alternator isn't really in the initial starting sequence. The...
  18. L

BeauBoy: That's a very good thought. I had not considered this possibility. This may make sense as now the vehicle will sometimes (not often) not respond when the key is turned. Vehicle doesn't even click. Turn the key back and forth several times and suddenly it just starts. No starter drag. No...
  19. L

Warning lights random alerts. Shaker1: I already thought of that. I added a separate ground to the radio. No change. I added a separate ground to the turn signals. No change. If this were a common ground issue the other accessories should feed off one of the new grounds. These added grounds...
  20. L

I have the exact same problem. I've replaced the electrical ignition switch. No change. I've replaced the radio, as it sometimes starts with the radio stopping and starting. No change. I'd really like to hear a solution. This problem is very annoying and having no signals while driving in...
  21. L

How To: Ignition switch Install. 07 Sport Trac

ignition switch problems I believe that most electrical issues concerning the ignition switch are with the ignition switch module. This module is mounted under the lower steering column cover. It is an electronic module and does not have any physical connection to the ignition switch keys...
  22. L

Hello all. I've got a 2008 Explorer Eddie Bauer with 85k. The dash warning lights seem to come on at random times. Sometimes once in two weeks. Sometimes four times a day. Sometimes bright lights icon lit, sometimes not. Sometimes turn signals won't work during this situation. The radio also...
  23. L

How To: Ignition switch Install. 07 Sport Trac

I think the SW 6958 is for vehicles With Out keyless entries.
  24. L

01 EXP. over heating......

overheating First thing I'd do is have the cooling system professionally flushed.
  25. L

Cel on at random times

Obdi Take it to Advance Auto or AutoZone. Either one will put a tester on it for free.
Back