Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. R

02 mounty wheel bearing... new rotors too?

Alex, you are the man! I took your advice, disconnected the tie rod end to get a better angle, and beat on the 15 mm bolts with a sledge and punch. It worked! The trick is to leave your slide hammer attached to hold the axle all the way in to provide clearance for the punch. New bearing...
  2. R

Well gang, I had to give up! At least for the time being. I cannot get the front bearing assembly separated from the aluminum housing. I bolted the entire thing back together and am driving it for the time being. Below is a list of the things I tried: 1.) Big slide hammer on lug bolts...
  3. R

Thanks matt0248, one follow up question: Is there any danger in damaging the surface of the aluminum spindle? I have never had one apart, but the two pieces apear to have a sealant or RTV at the seam. This made me think that the spindle had a prestine bearing or gasket surface that I must not...
  4. R

All, I am in the process of changing my front wheel bearings on my 2002. I got the PITA 15mm bolts out with a small amount of heat. And I got the axle pressed out without issue. My problem is that the hub assembly is seized to the spindle. I have a heavy duty slide hammer/hub puller combo...
  5. R

HELP!!! CV shaft won't budge from pumpkin..

I feel your pain man! Going through the same thing right now! Just checked the site for other ideas. I made a special tool that looks just like the Ford tool but that is just destroying the seal. Let me know if you find something that works.
  6. R

Transmission problem..HELP PLEASE..

Could have written your post myself... Dude, when I read your original post, I had to double check that I did not write it myself. That is so weird! I got the same symptoms on a 2002 XLT with 90k. Owners manual says change the tranny fluid at 90k. I guess they mean it!! Thanks for the...
  7. R

2003 Explorer rear differential leak.

I found the post to which I was refering -- check this out. 02 rear axle seal problems posted by tomgeorge2000 Unfortunately, no pictures. The part that concerns me is as follows: CAUTION: Do not allow the splines on inboard CV joint housing to touch the axle shaft oil seal. NOTE...
  8. R

2003 Explorer rear differential leak.

Hey Bud, I got the same problem on a 2002 with 90k. I am fairly new to this site and am having difficulty sorting the axle seal issues out as well. A couple things that I have concluded thus far are as follows: 1.) Everyone is having trouble with these rear diferential seals (and apparently...
  9. R

How to: 2002 Explorer rear wheel bearing replacement (pictures)

One more follow up question... Excellent post -- you probably saved me hundreds of dollars in collateral damage due to heat and really big hammers. I am going to pull my hubs and spindles to replace the rear differential seals. No damage yet, just leaking. My question is should I replace...
Back