Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. J

Steering Wheel Controls Melted

Thanks everyone for your replies! Although I don't remember any offroading on Venus, it is my wife's car and they say women are from Venus so.... I'll check the links provided and hopefully get some ordered. More than anything, I'm thankful to know that I'm not the only one that has had this...
  2. J

Steering Wheel Controls Melted

My wife's 96 Explorer's steering wheel controls have melted. Over the past three years they have just gotten worse. In the summer she has to be really careful not to ruin any more clothes because the rubber/plastic/whatever it really is gets on her hands. Most people that I tell this to say...
  3. J

How To: Install aftermarket sub with stock enclosure in non-factory sub 2nd Gen Ex

I also just now got around to doing this in my wife's Explorer. I ended up going the easy route so I didn't have to run all new speaker wire and just manually bypassed the stock amp while I was back there adding the stock sub enclusure that I got from Joe. Here's what I used: Head Unit...
  4. J

Newb Aftermarket Install Questions

Ok, radio is in and working great. I wasn't aware that you could just continue using the stock amp with the aftermarket head unit. Took me about an hour from soldering to getting it in the dash. I got to brush up on my soldering so that was good. This does the trick. Thanks to those that...
  5. J

Thanks aaronajb1981. I picked up Best Buy's version of that harness last night. I have one other question, though. I do not want to use the factory amp and I don't have an aftermarket amp to use either. I just want to run the stock speakers powered by the HU. Does this wiring harness allow...
  6. J

OK, more snooping confirms that I definitely have the Premium sound system with an amp in back. What I'm confused about now is what amp bypass kit to purchase. I went to Crutchfield.com first and without putting in the specific vehicle information I found a Ford wiring harness that has a...
  7. J

I did some more searching and found someone posted a PDF file of the wiring diagrams. The picture below is from that PDF. According to this, it appears that my OE radio is the premium radio that has an amp. Am I correct in this based on the PDF? If so, what I'm reading is that I need an amp...
  8. J

It does have rear seat controls. I didn't even know that.
  9. J

Alright, folks, let me say thank you in advance for any help you can give me. I've spent a lot of time looking around this forum for this information but I can't seem to find anything about it. I might be searching for the wrong terminology so I apologize in advance if there's already stuff...
  10. J

Where to buy?

No problem Przbysz. I'm not the best at soldering anyway. Thanks for thinking about it. I'll check the For Sale/Want section and keep watching eBay.
  11. J

Where to buy?

Joe - Thank you. That's exactly right. You even got the bunny with the pancake correct. Man you're good.
  12. J

Where to buy?

Anime - Thanks for the recommendation. I forgot that a lot of forums have For Sale/Want sections. Joe - I actually have the tape player radio and want to get the CD player radio. Good info about the CD player versions though. That's apparently what happened to me. I think the guy on eBay...
  13. J

Where to buy?

Scucci - thanks for the link. That's a little more than I wanted to put into this car but they do seem to have what I'm looking for. Fyrfyter - I bought this one off eBay and I noticed lkq but they didn't have anything. I'll keep watching them. Thanks. Joe Dirt - Great movie. But about the...
  14. J

Where to buy?

New here. Just bought what was advertised as a factory radio for my wife's 96 explorer. Of course it wasn't. Thankfully I didn't spend a lot on it. I can't seem to find anywhere on the Internet to buy a factory radio with a cd player for the 96 explorer. Any suggestions would greatly...
Back