Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. T

No start - sometimes

Check the relay in the black box under the hood. Next time you don't hear the fuel pump whine when you first turn the key, pop it open and jiggle the relay while the key is in the start position. If it is the relay, you will hear the FP start to whine. You can also try switching it with...
  2. T

Strange Mooing sound???

You can say a clogged IAC sounds like a cow mooing... I'd start by cleaning that. 15min job.
  3. T

2000 4.0 OHV Saga

Could the coolant be coming from the heater control valve? The lean readings wouldn't come from the exhaust leak. They would be caused by air leaking into the intake manifold. Also, check and make sure there are no cracks/holes in your intake plenum between the MAF sensor and the throttle...
  4. T

Temp Gauge Rising and Falling

There could still be air in the system if it wasn't properly "burped". You can try replacing the radiator cap. The spring weakens with age and causes pressure loss and fluctuating temp.
  5. T

O/D Button Blinking

Simple answer could be a bad seal/gasket that is causing pressure leak. Worst case is the tranny is shot. There are hundreds of posts about the tranny and how to diagnose/repair yourself. Do some searching using the search button above and start reading. If I'm not mistaken, you have the...
  6. T

sport track: No front hubs anymore?

The '95+ hub setups have worked extremely well with only a few complaints regarding the bearings going and the dust seals being bad.
  7. T

major 4wd problems

Sounds like you blew the transfer case or front diffy.
  8. T

Won't start when hot

This problem is sometimes caused by a bad crankshaft position sensor (CPS)
  9. T

Installed 00M12 kit, ECL still on

What codes are you getting exactly? I assume you have reset the computer after all the fixes to clear the old codes?
  10. T

no heat

It could also be a broken blend door.
  11. T

93 exlplorer wont start at random times??

When it does the no start, listen to see if you hear the fuel pump whining when you turn the key to on. May be a problem with the Fuel Pump relay in the black box under the hood. If you turn the key to on and don't hear the fuel pump run, get out and jiggle the relay (leave the key in the on...
  12. T

How "normal" are two problems?

1 - My bet would be the ignition was changed. You said the dupe key starts it up? Unless you had the dupe key coded for the PATS (antitheft), it shouldn't work. Does the Theft light blink when the engine is shut off? 2- That is not normal. Which engine does it have? If it's the SOHC, do...
  13. T

Missing badly and no power

Sounds like you may have jumped a timing chain. Have your timing checked.
  14. T

Trouble with cold weather start

If you have the SOHC engine, Search for 00M12. It's likely the intake manifold gaskets as stated above.
  15. T

4x4 not working..

Got me Ray. Looked at his profile Ex, didn't catch the '98 in the writeup....
  16. T

4x4 not working..

Have you ever used the 4x4? When you pressed the Hi button, did it light up? Then, to put into Low, did you put in neutral with your foot on the brake and press the Low button? Also remember, with the autohubs (if you still have them and haven't converted to manuals) you need to move forward...
  17. T

Got a question about air conditioning & heat, Please Help!

The air director (for lack of better name) is moved via vacuum. You may have accidently disconnected or broken the vacuum line to it. When the vacuum is lost, the setting defaults to Defrost.
  18. T

Humming sound up front, is it my bearings?

Entinnovations, that sound is usually the sign of a shot transfercase. Either the TOD clutch or the shift fork are shot, or close to it....
  19. T

'97 Exp No Heat...NOT blend door

The heater control valve works via vacuum. If the vacuum fails, the valve doesn't work. If you have hot hoses going into and out of the heater core, then it is not the valve, and most likely your blend door managed to drop into the cold position.
  20. T

'00 4.0 OHV Rough Cold Idle.

Clean the Idle Air Control (IAC) Valve. Its the little silver can on the throttlebody. 15 minutes to remove (with mm socket), clean and reinstall. Search for thread with detailed cleaning instructions.
  21. T

wont idle steadily.. tries to die

Keep it simple. Start with the IAC. It controls idle. Change it.
  22. T

Wont start!!!

Try jiggling the relay for the fuel pump while the key is in the ON position and listen for the fuel pump. If that doesn't work, try swapping relays and then try... Also, are you using your usual key and not a copy? Is the theft light flashing at all as you try to start it?
  23. T

Another 4x4 engagement thread

My first suggestion would be the vacuum disconnect on the front axle. Either the vacuum isn't strong enough, or the connecting part is sticking (which is what thunked when it finally engaged in the field)
  24. T

A few different Problems..

First answer - Try cleaning the IAC if you haven't already and see if your idle improves. Second answer - a question - Do you get any cold air in MAX A/C? Have you checked the A/C relays and the Hi/Lo pressure switch? Third answer - Sorry, don't know.
  25. T

Cold start problems

Replace the negative cable too.
Back