Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. S

Time has come for the great Explorer purge

As much as I hate to do it we will be Explorerless in a few days. My daughters 2000 has terminal trans issues with the Jasper I installed in '09 and with over 200,000 miles, it's just not worth sinking the money into. Donating it to charity. On Saturday I traded my 02 Sport manual on an 06...
  2. S

Not usual O/D light flashing

Had this same scenario with my elder daughters 03 Explorer about 6 months ago the dealer recommended a torque converter when I was unsure that would fix it. Worked like a charm on a 130,000 mile trans, so I do have some trust for the dealer as they could have just said it needs a new trans...
  3. S

Update, tried reader again and got PO741. This Innovia reader is a great product but the operating instructions are useless. You have to go to website and print 150 page manual because reader comes with single page in english. So I will drop the old girl at the dealer, if they come back with...
  4. S

Not your usual O/D off flashing

Update, tried reader again and got PO741 Just as Dr Doom predicted. This Innovia reader is a great product but the operating instructions are useless. You have to go to website and print 150 page manual because reader comes with single page in english. So I will drop the old girl at the...
  5. S

Dr Doom and 1998 thanks, The Innova was not a cheap scanner and is supposed to get Mfr enhanced trans DTC's but who knows? I'm going to hook up scanner again this am see if I can get anything, then drop it at a local dealer that I've had good luck with on our other Ex's and hopefully they can...
  6. S

I've had the reader abt 6 months and I suppose it is possible I used it wrong, although when I had a Trans problem on my company GM van it brought up the trans code straight away. I printed out the directions to the scanner and will try again tomorrow morning. I had to drive it briefly tonight...
  7. S

(This also posted in the 95 to 01 forum) Greetings, gang! Thankfully haven't needed the collective wisdom contained here as the fleet of Explorer's have been plugging along well. Up until yesterday. My daughter has our 2000 xlt (sohc 5r55e 22xxxx miles on car about 70xxx on rebuilt Jasper trans...
  8. S

Greetings, gang! Thankfully haven't needed the collective wisdom contained here as the fleet of Explorer's have been plugging along well. Up until yesterday. My daughter has our 2000 xlt (sohc 5r55e 22xxxx miles on car about 70xxx on rebuilt Jasper trans I installed abt 5 years ago) as her...
  9. S

Please help

For whatever it's worth electrical parts from some chain parts stores are pure crap. I have had good luck with Advance Auto and Rock Auto, Autozone not so much!
  10. S

Can not rotate engine

Did you pull the plugs?
  11. S

PLEASE help me with a 5R55E trans.

http://www.centralvalvebodies.com/ Talk to Donnie great company!
  12. S

01 expl-sport loud knocking in rear over bumps

Have an '02 Sport that sounds like it has no rear suspension. I'm sure this is what's going on, I'll have to do some "Exploring" underneath and see what's what. Thank you!
  13. S

Oil in my coolant 99 EXP 4.0 OHV 4wd

Another poster kind of touched on this but bear in mind there is an antifreeze cooled trans cooler on your Explorer so there may be some co-mingling going on if something has gone bad there.
  14. S

Need Trans help

Advanced readers get basic codes but not deep stuff like tranny codes. Unfortunately dealer or well equipped indy mechanic for trans stuff. Probably about $90.00 for diagnostics
  15. S

Quick overheating question

Take your stat and put it in a pan of water on the stove and crank up the heat and see if it opens when water starts to boil. I do this with brand new thermostats as I've had a couple of bad ones over the years.
  16. S

03 Ex v6 5R55W PO741 Need Help!!

Just a quick update, picked up the Ex yesterday from dealer. Torque Converter appears to have fixed it. I took it for a 30 minute hilly highway run and no OD light. So fingers crossed the old girl can keep pumping out the miles.
  17. S

JK080, Thanks for your reply, I had the dealer go ahead on the TC this morning because I had to make a decision. The car has always been very reliable and the body is in excellent shape, Just put tires and alignment on it a month ago (of course). I've had good luck with this dealer even...
  18. S

Greetings, Been a while since I have posted. My daughter's 03 v6 4dr 170,000 miles, started the dreaded OD off flash on Sunday. It was late so I didn't look at it or drive it. Took it to the dealer yesterday to get codes driving from cold no flashing light but as it warmed up it came on...
  19. S

Transmission needed. Dire need

If he's a reputable rebuilder and offers a good warranty then I'd say it's not a bad price. I purchased and replaced a rebuilt 5r55e from Jasper for about the same money and installed it myself in my 2000 with 175,000 at the time. Now at 210,000 and still humming. The thing with a boneyard or...
  20. S

Help on 1999 explorer overheating

I have had defective new thermostats twice in the past. Now i always boil 'em in the kitchen before I install them to make sure they open.
  21. S

Black gunk in radiator?

The radiator has an internal transmission cooler. Chances are the trans cooler is allowing trans fluid into coolant and possibly coolant into trans fluid. After radiator is repaired I would change trans fluid and filter abd try and flush as much of the old fluid out of the converter and lines...
  22. S

1996 4.0 trans leak.

Probably the bottom of the dipstick tube your looking at. When I replaced my 5r55e the dipstick tube had rusted through and needed replaced. that may be the same problem your having
  23. S

Thundervette

On the engine side of the firewall on the passenger side there is a resistor panel that you will need to replace. bit of a pain to get at but that should take care of your probelm. Any decent auto pts store should carry em.
  24. S

Dumb 02 sport question

Was changing shocks today on my 02 Sport with manual trans and there is no 3rd locator shock on the back axle. The mount is there on the dif housing but nothing on the frame doesn't look like it's ever had one. Is it supposed to?
  25. S

HELP!!! Running Hot. 1999 Ford Explorer Sport SOHC

More than likely your thermostat has gone bad which is a cheap fix. Just search the forum for instructions how to replace it.
Back