Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. M

347 Stroker swap with pics and specs

Yeah that's what my in-law, Joe, said. I might start pulling the top apart soon. If i don't now I'll wait until I go to Florida for vacation soon and drop it off at Joe's shop and work on it there. I'm moving down there in spring anyways.
  2. M

My father-in-law finally got back to me with pics I sent him and believes I either had oil pump issues from the beginning or the engine build wasn't setup right. He is thinking that my thrust bearings weren't set right and the mains didn't have proper clearances to begin with. All my main...
  3. M

Castrol conventional 10w-30 at first. Changed and run to 75 miles. At 500 miles I went to M1 10w-30 like I use in everything else.
  4. M

Yeah but the good is that it's just another 96 Explorer without all the goodies you are dissecting from it. The way I see it as long as the good stuff is still used that made that vehicle good then it lives on in a different form. I gutted a 96 Mark 8 for the engine and trans seats etc... for my...
  5. M

Vroomzoomboom, that explorer you bought from another member wouldn't happen to be pearl limited would it? I remember following a thread for one I really liked and kinda inspired my project.
  6. M

my flexplate brand is RPM along with the rods in my engine. Not sure if they're any good because I can't find anything about them or who has used them. The rods look to be I beam not sure if they're forged
  7. M

I was thinking of your truck vroomzoomboom and I still have the old Eaton M112 off my 03 cobra engine i had. I was going to fab up an adapter to mount it to my stroker for maybe 5-6lb. I've got the whole upper supercharger assembly with the lower and intercooler. I thought about taking out the...
  8. M

That's interesting to hear that from woody. I've seen him chime in on a lot of forums and seems he knows his stuff. I saw the comment about flexplate and I am pointing fingers to that or not enough space between block and trans. I never did check clearances with new flexplate so I can't rule...
  9. M

He also replied a second time saying that there is a radius in the bottom edge of the pilot bore that can be ground out if causing interference.
  10. M

i got a response from Lentech and the guy i got a response from says that some aftermarket cranks the pilot of the converter bottoms out in the crank before any extra clearance can be removed when bolted up. He says to mock up the converter with the flexplate to check if it bottoms out. Then...
  11. M

here is a pic of a Scat 9000 347 crank and its thrust bearing surface someone else has received. To me that doesn't look to be very good polishing and that makes me wonder if I got one that looked like that and the builder that built mine just threw it together (with no warranty).
  12. M

I found this forum post from the corral.net site about others that have had same issues http://forums.corral.net/forums/5-0-5-8-engine-tech/1374030-why-do-strokers-eat-thrust-bearings.html
  13. M

I do plan to replace the crank, instead of having it repaired, with a forged crank. Not sure if I'll go with a Scat crank again, but I didn't really choose the components as they were chosen and built for me
  14. M

i never did check clearances on the stroker engine with the 28oz flexplate, but i do remember the converter bolts having the knocking sound when I would rotate the engine before I tightened the converter bolts telling me i did have some play. With the clearance i have now on the stock engine I...
  15. M

Here is another I thought I'd share from the stroker engine and the flexplate for it. It must have had some force push it into the engine because it's got a wear ring were it rubbed at the main seal
  16. M

I did muster up the energy to do some checking this afternoon and pulled the dust shield off and converter bolts. I've got about 3/16in play between the flexplate and converter. I couldn't get the crank to move much if any and maybe thats a good sign. Here are some pics i took I could get my...
  17. M

My plan was to use the stock trans and converter until it either failed or eventually get a Lentech unit. The trans itself has proven to still be solid as it hasn't been touched at all except a shift kit years ago. I've owned the truck since new. Maybe I should have just went with an upgraded...
  18. M

I don't believe it's possible to put the flexplate on backwards because of the bolt alignment to the crank only aligns one way and also it would hit the block. I was using the stock spacer plate for my build. Actually everything but the flexplate is stock.
  19. M

I found that article earlier yesterday morning. I thought about the converter pressure pushing on the crank. I also thought with that being a possible theory with the increase in hp the converter pressure would be higher (my thoughts) because it's under a bit more stress.
  20. M

Yeah mine failed on the same side as vroomzoomboom. The rear side facing the trans. In the pics I posted you can see that the front side did have some contact because it shows some wear. I'm still under the weather pretty bad and haven't felt like pulling the truck back into the garage to check...
  21. M

I think you're right and I had that thought as well. I do remember when bolting the converter back to the flexplate that it did knock side to side when id turn the crank, before it was bolted, telling me it wasn't pushed tight against the flexplate. I did notice the rear main seal leaking...
  22. M

Your trans guy could be right. I've been talking to an engine builder that I don't personally know. I'm hoping it's not my converter because I would hate to pull the trans for another converter and possibly have to rebuild both engines. This weekend if I get time I'll do some more checking on...
  23. M

From what I have found is that converters don't actually change size (from what I found). The internals are what balloon and push on the crank. The marks that would be left on the converter from the crank bolts would be from the flexplate flexing. I also thought maybe my new 28oz flexplate has...
  24. M

It's the stock converter and trans with original 278,000+ miles. I did think about maybe hydro pressure under load from the converter pushing forward or maybe the pump gears pushing the converter. However I think thrust bearings are meant to withstand quite a bit of load even at high RPM. For...
Back