Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. C

94 4.0 explorer

Sounds like bad timing to me. Easy mistake to get it off a tooth.
  2. C

4.0 ohv troubleshooting help needed

If engine and computer came from an automatic explorer, you might need to try a manual computer. I have been told in the past by others that doing a manual swap on a explorer from 93 and up that those model computers are just smart enough to know the automatic isn't there. This may not be true...
  3. C

O/D Light Flashing.. Need Help!

I seem to remember once upon a time when I worked at a Ford dealer as a Tech, having this same trouble. Replaced the diff sensor and drove it and had the same problem. If I am remembering correctly, and I could be blowing smoke here because of year model difference, but the truck I worked on had...
  4. C

Valve job, rebuild or replace engine 140k

The shop that did the transmission might have inadvertently caused the intake to crack or stressed it and separated the intake from the head. I'd buy a can of carb cleaner and spray around it some. It will run better if you found the leak.
  5. C

Replace the sensor on the rear differential, see if that helps the problem.
  6. C

94 explorer 4wd not starting sometimes.

Try switching the key on and off 5 or 6 times without trying to crank the engine. Leave about 5-10 seconds between each key cycle, and leave the key on 10-15 seconds each time before turning it off. After that, try to crank it. If it starts easily, fuel pump is weak.
  7. C

Valve job, rebuild or replace engine 140k

Vacuum leak at the intake manifold. Could be leaking right at the head and leaning the one cylinder out. You haven't mentioned any lean codes, so that rules out major manifold leak. Cracked intake runner maybe? Either pull the intake and inspect, or try the spray test with darn cleaner. Have you...
  8. C

94 ranger radius arm

If the whole truck is rusted as bad as the ARM is, then a oxy-acetolene torch is gonna be your friend.
  9. C

Gen 1 front recovery points

I made a front hitch out of some steel plate and an old rear hitch I got at a junkyard for nothing. Used it to winch trees out and even jerk a few out, held up just fine.
  10. C

ABS light on by any chance?
  11. C

How much limited slip friction modifier

It should only take one small bottle. That is all i used on my 91 when I redid the rear clutches and it never had a problem until one axle seal started leaking and my brakes started locking up. If you have three bottles in and its still being a pain, it is definitely time for new clutches.
  12. C

2005 Mountaineer No pedal and more problems! Help!

Disconnect the battery for 30 minuters, see if that gets it back to where you started. If it gets you back to the original throttle issue, remove the breather hose so you can look inside the throttle body. Then have the wife sit inside with the key ON and engine OFF. Tell her to slowly press on...
  13. C

Shackle fabrication

My shackles were less work than this. Took a length of 3 inch C-channel, cut four pieces, drilled 8 holes, mitered the corners, bolted them on.
  14. C

1992 explorer build!!

3 inch body lift should be plenty. I have 2 inch spacers and homemade shackles and I can flex 33's just fine with a little fender trimming.
  15. C

Help a friend/ gen 1 I-beams

Does he need I-beams and knuckles or just the I-beams? I might actually still have the I-beams laying around from the 2wd to 4wd conversion we did on an 89 bronco II.
  16. C

Tire size change. Help?

For a few months, I ran 31x10.50's on factory wheels with 3.27 gears with my 94 5-speed. It was no speed demon, needed more distance to stop, but it did it just fine. For the last month, I have had 31x10.50's on aftermarket wheels on my 92 with 3.27's and an automatic. I NEVER use overdrive, and...
  17. C

Pulled Engine with Torque Converter Attached: Did we Break Anything?

Seal is the main concern. Can be done at home. Pop old on out, tap new one in. that simple.
  18. C

Pulled Engine with Torque Converter Attached: Did we Break Anything?

No need to pull the transmission out unless you got slam stupid and just jerked on it pulling it out and let the convertor hub come out really ****-eyed, all you need to replace is the input seal. Really the only reason to do that is just out of precaution, it would suck to put it all back...
  19. C

4x4 not working

Do you have push button or manual 4x4? Assuming push button, did the lights come on in the dash and it just didnt feel like it went in? If you have enough stands, jack your explorer up and support it with all four wheels off the ground. Then start it and run it idling in low first. See if your...
  20. C

Restoring an Explorer to stock form

It seems that I and my explorer lot are the exceptions to most rules. Both my 94 5spd 4x4, and my wifes 92 auto 4x4 have gotten over 20 mpg on the highway; up to 22 with mine and about 21 with hers.
  21. C

odd transmissin installation problem

Rear is a Ford 8.8, front is a Dana 35. No the rear parts will not work in the front.
  22. C

odd transmissin installation problem

Have you tried turning the engine with the transmission in place but not bolted tight? Might be that something is getting pinched and preventing it. Could even be that the transmission is bolting up uneven and the hub of the convertor (assuming its an auto) is ****ed sideways locking up the crank.
  23. C

East Coast List

Adding the south to the list Name: Jeremy C. Location: Central NC (Originally a South Jersey boy) Vehicle: 1992 Explorer XLT 4 Dr 4.0 Auto (Wifes bone stock DD) 1994 Explorer XLT 4 Dr 4.0 5spd (My Offroad/DD/Experiment)
Back