Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. X

Transfer case or Front DS?

So I put the new transfer case in and problem still persists....going to pull the front differential out and give it another look. Not sure what else this could be. Also getting a squeaking that gets worse with speed and is noticeable loud. Seems to get louder the longer you drive the truck...
  2. X

Popping sound from drivetrain, (not CV)

Is it AWD or 4WD? You said it was AWD but the AWD does not have fuses as it is on all the time due to the viscous coupling. If its 4WD does it do it in 4WD, 2WD or both? I had a popping that happened randomly that turned out to be the rear springs were broken.
  3. X

4.10 and 4.11

I ordered a set of 4.11's front and rear for my explorer from Yukon. Their 4.11 for the front was actually labeled 4.10 on the gear but they label it as 4.11 in their inventory so it is most likely perfectly fine.
  4. X

Yesterday I went on the beach with the truck. The noise is so loud that it turns heads! I had my friend stick his head near the bottom of the truck and the noise is in fact coming from the middle near the transfercase. Nowhere near the front is it making the noise. So I called the company I got...
  5. X

Yeah there's no symptoms without the front driveshaft. Makes sense because there is no load on it without it. So it was either the front driveshaft was binding or something in the TC. I'm going to have to pull the transfercase and open it up.
  6. X

Ok so I changed the cv joint and the ujoint in the front driveshaft as they were very loose. Turns out the problem still persists. I think the next step is to pull the transfercase as I can't see it being anything else. I did notice playing around in 4wd low on loose gravel that the truck bucks...
  7. X

Spartan Locker

Well the locker is going to give you some decent feedback on low speed turns. It's trying to turn both wheels at the same speed vs the open differential allowing the inner wheel to turn at a slower speed. Just give it some gas around the turns and hear those baby's screech!
  8. X

Changed the fluid in the transfer case and the old fluid looked good. No bits of metal in there. Had a little bit of metallic dust but nothing out of the ordinary. That was the 2nd drain I have done since I got the transfer case. First one was the break in procedure a while ago then I just did...
  9. X

Spartan Locker

I smacked my axles in with a hammer both sides locked in no problem. No modification needed to be done with the locker.
  10. X

Ok I will check transfercase fluid when I get home. The front diff has already been checked. I drained it and spun the wheels to check the ring and pinion. All looks fine.
  11. X

The hubs have no play in them and make no noise when turned by hand. I checked them when taking the axles out.
  12. X

First to let everyone know I have a 2003 Ford Explorer 4.0L 4dr. I have a borg warner 4411 transfer case 2 speed elec shift. The transfer case is a reman unit from Transmission Authority which is a company that sells reman units through rock auto. The transfer case is a little under a year old...
  13. X

3rd gen Explorer Coilovers

Will this help bump steer if i did this?
  14. X

Regearing the front differential - possible solution

Do you have to get the overhaul kits? Could I just get new carrier/pinion bearings? It is much cheaper. Then just buy the 4:10 ring and pinion. I recently did all the seals on the front/rear differentials and I have a lunchbox locker in the back. Also when i buy a 3:73 carrier on rockauto will...
  15. X

Regearing the front differential - possible solution

I plan on doing this but i have the 3:55 gears right now so I understand that I need to get the 3:73 carrier. My question is that does the rear carrier have to be changed as well? I checked Rock Auto and there is a 3:54 and down and a 3:73 up carrier for the Front but the rear just says standard...
  16. X

Bad Vibration in Steering Wheel/Front End While Driving 60-70 mph

Does the vibration go away when you take your foot off the gas? If so put it in 4wd while you are driving and if it goes away after that It is definitely your rear cv axles. Something similar happened to me the vibration felt like it was the front end but ended up being the rear cv axles. IF you...
  17. X

Spartan Locker

Just recently installed this thing and HOLY CRAP what a difference!!! With my tires aired down in 2WD(BWM) I was traveling on the beach in the soft sand no problem. Put it in 4x4 just to ease my mind in certain areas and was amazed at it climbing dunes easily. This lifted F250 was struggling...
  18. X

Idle Air Control Valve screw and nut P/N?

It does look like i will be heading to the junkyard i believe that diagram stud is what screws ontop of the screw i need so the cover can bolt on
  19. X

Idle Air Control Valve screw and nut P/N?

It might be a little confusing what I am describing but I will try and do my best. I have the V6 4.0L engine. I need to change my IAC valve but one of the bolts that screws it in is snapped off. The screw I am talking about has a stud that is screwed onto it. It holds the cover on top of the...
  20. X

Can someone explain this vibration?

Vibration is completely gone throughout the entire truck! Things that were replaced during this whole procedure... -Front Pinion seal (was leaking) -New Fluid in Front Diff (it was bone dry when cover came off, everything was fine though!) -Transfer case -both rear cv axles -both rear axle...
  21. X

And if so did it go away when you put it in 4wd?
  22. X

Where was the play in the inner cv shaft?
  23. X

Front differential cover

Yeah it should be fine it was running fine with no fluid now it has fluid haha
  24. X

Front differential cover

Replaced the seals in the front diff and holy crap no fluid came out of the front differential, it was bone dry! Glad nothing is broken/damaged. It s noticeable smoother though. I used amsoil 75w-90 gear oil in the front.
  25. X

Front differential cover

yeah my rear differential is leaking out at one of the cv shafts and also at the cover. I plan on removing the rear differential and replacing all the seals, new fluid, and a spartan locker back there while it is apart.
Back