Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. H

2002 4WD Dash Lights Blinking, etc.

Did my 2002 today and a 2004. 2002 had the blinking light, I changed the 4x4 module, no luck still blinked. Checked the ground wire... still intact. I still had 4x4 high, just no auto 4x4. Tried the reset.. still blinked. Changed the sensors out in the transfer case with some spares I...
  2. H

Stability problem while driving?

Good to know. Thanks!
  3. H

You can do a quick alignment check with 2 jack stands and a long string.. 1. Put the ex on level pavement or ground after pulling it forward with the steering wheel straight 2. Put the jack stands in front of the sploder 3. Wrap the string from one stand... Around the back tires and to...
  4. H

To see if the pins are wollowed jack the car up and grab the wheel.. If wiggles just in the horizontal plane.. (Front to back) it is probably the pin hole. If it wiggles in the vertical plane bushings.. If it goes full circle in all directions.. Wheel bearing..
  5. H

My 02 is an early model with the smaller pins. I broke them all the time. Started right after I hauled a big loaded trailer.. I raided our local lkq on 50% off day and got rear toe links and wheel hubs off of an 03. Bigger pins and the holes where the pins go into aren't wallowed out.. Total...
  6. H

Photos 3rd gen pic's

3 in body, 2 in spacers in back and 1.5 in front. I made the spacers.
  7. H

Eating wheel bearings, need advice.

Spacer my be it.. I'm running 16x8 rims with a -12 offset... heavy as sh!! treadwrights..No spacer 285's.. I use the Detroit axles on my fronts an rears and get around 20- 30k short term. Fronts are easy.. I now do the rears with a harbor freight wheel bearing kit... The 4 in back spacing...
  8. H

Diving into the transfer case

Got everything reinstalled.. was a PITA... I think if the support were out it would have been easier.. there is a bracket that bolts to the bottom of the tcase that I pulled out to get the alignment for the drive shafts .. then had to jack the whole assembly up to get it back in.. Total time...
  9. H

Highest Mileage 4.0, V-6, Explorer

I'm not as religious with the oil changes... Sometimes 5k.. I use valvoline hi mileage and Fram filters... Only thing I did is about every 50k I throw in duralube.. May not do anything but I've had a windstar with 270k and a maxima at 232k.... I drive alot...
  10. H

Highest Mileage 4.0, V-6, Explorer

232,000... just oil changes on the engine... lotsa other stuff, both intentional and not intentional .. trans was rebuilt around 175k
  11. H

AWD compared to 4x4

AWD means you have 3 driving at ALL THE TIME unless like stated earlier you don't have limited slip.. You may not know what three are driving but you have them running all the time.. all AWD cars do worse in gas mileage because they are always turning, like full time 4x4.. not a bad feature...
  12. H

Limited02 sounds like the plate/gear for the 4x4 low was moving to throw you into neutral when you let off the gas.. there is a spot under the shift motor on that says Neutral, but our motors don't stop there.. Could you see that for towing an explorer.. would be awesome... You may have an...
  13. H

Well Bad news and Good news.. Bad news is my old tcase clutch pack was shot.. if you open your case and find the 3 balls in one spot that’s a problem.. I can’t figure out what happened first, the ball jump, or the failure of the clutch pack… regardless you don’t want to find this.. Those 3...
  14. H

Will i have problems....285 tires...V6?

I'm running 285s with a v6... 2 inch front spacer and 1.5 back.. 3 inch body lift... My rims have a -12 offset.. Which compared to stock is like having a 2 inch spacer... I have the same running boards an I rub on one side at full lock because I can't get that board to pull back.. If you have...
  15. H

I'll shoot side by side pics tomorrow
  16. H

Got down to getting it out.... I either have all the bolts loose now or I have to drop the support that runs under the tcase... I wouldn't try this without the 3 inch body lift ... It would be insane hard to do... Here's the diary of the 4405.. I'm hoping I have all the same inside ...
  17. H

Well giving it a shot in the drive way... I will put up what I find, but my goal is to swap out potentially bad parts in my tcase with those from a 4405... well the clutch plates anyhow. Looks to me (from research.. haven't got mine out of my truck yet) that the guts are the same for the most...
  18. H

Photos 3rd gen pic's

Nice!!! Broke happens...
  19. H

Photos 3rd gen pic's

Dipped the whole car????? Nice!! Best way to try a new look!
  20. H

Photos 3rd gen pic's

Nicely done on the bar and the other upgrades.. I have the same white style was wondering how the black plastic and wheels wound look.. Again.. Nicely done
  21. H

no power to 4x4 switch

Nice!! Lol I have an extra module too in backup!!
  22. H

no power to 4x4 switch

Check all the fuses, if you have an earlier 02 you will see about 6 fuses under the dash 12, 15,21,23,24 and 29 (29 powers through dash buttons) Then in the engine compartment box 15,17,18 later 02 and beyond builds will use under the dash 12,23,24 and engine comp 17,18. There are also...
  23. H

Vehicle swaying and steering WIERD?

To check the toe links, grab the rear tire and try to pivot it.. This can look like a wheel bearing.. But it only pivots in one axis..if the whole hub is moving then it's the rear toe link.. Could be a wallowed out hole.. Ultimately new hub...This will eventually cause the end of the toe link...
  24. H

Installing 2002 Camber/Caster Adjuster Kits

On the rear it goes on the back bolt of the lower control arm.. There's a shim back there that it replaces.. It really adjust the camber.. Following my lift I flipped the factory shim and got what I needed so I haven't had to put on the backs yet.
  25. H

Roof lights, mods galore!

HiImBrian has an awesome roof rack he put together... Check out his thread.. Keep looking on page 3 he shows pics on how he wired it up.. I missed it at first because I didn't look through the whole thing.. Awesome post too... http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=317723
Back