Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. boominXplorer

Should I Take Mounty To Alaska, Or Rent A Car?

That's alot for an older vehicle. It's all the little stuff that can get you. The heater hose connectors, fuel pump, transmission, wheel bearings, ect. That being said I'd drive my raptor with 272k on it up there if I wanted to. Would it make it? Most likely. Would it be cheaper on fuel to...
  2. boominXplorer

The Black Hole

Also get the oil with the uv dye in it if you can. Helps with later diagnosis if needed
  3. boominXplorer

The Black Hole

Any auto parts store will have the oil. I like the little 4oz bottles. I poke 2 small holes in the foil cap and use it as a dripper to lube the connections. Compressors are usually filled with 3oz when they come. The oil in the old dryer assembly needs to be considered when refilling oil...
  4. boominXplorer

The Black Hole

As a shop owner that gets this question many times this time of the year, make sure you use pag 46 oil on every connection if you do the work. I charge a ton of people's systems and I'll say half of the diy guys are back within 3 months. My machine leak tests for 10 minutes at 30 inches of...
  5. boominXplorer

Explorer EV Coming

I'll put my $.02 in. My next vehicle when I sell my 22 ST will be an EV. I've got 4 more years left on the loan then I'll be switching the wife over. We put 6k miles on it in a year. An EV makes sense for her since the furthest she will go in a day is 100 miles but more than likely no more than...
  6. boominXplorer

4406 magnetic Sensor no Speedo Gear

That's exactly how the machine shop did it. I think they used an abrasive type round ball to grind it out slowly. They tried drilling and said it wouldn't make a mark on it.
  7. boominXplorer

4406 magnetic Sensor no Speedo Gear

You can always add the correct sensor but getting the speedo sleve on the output shaft is the hard part. I took my output shaft to the machine shop to make the spot for the ball to sit in under the gear. It's impossible to drill into it. The tail housing from the electric 4406 will swap, the...
  8. boominXplorer

Stic-o's 2019 Ranger XLT FX4

You'll want to program the new solenoid id. Forscan should be able to do it. Sure it might still work but the reason for the solenoid id is the variables in the solenoid resistances in each unit. Each one is different. Even the older 6 speeds are the same way. It'll work, but the shift strategy...
  9. boominXplorer

Timing light skipping a fire.

Try running it with the alternator unplugged. I just had an issue that drove me up the wall with a 92 f150. Intermittently the timing would be out if wack and act like it's on 5 cylinders. Took the belt off to see if it was the smog pump and the truck ran perfectly. Put a shorter belt on to...
  10. boominXplorer

Stic-o's 2019 Ranger XLT FX4

Unfortunately you'll have to program that new transmission. The fact I have this same exact transmission in my ST it scares me. On the 2024 models the issue has been fixed but still. I'll pay it off a month early and trade it in before the 5 year is up.
  11. boominXplorer

2015 Ford Explorer Limited stalling at intersections/idle

Most the time if it does it when hot it's a cam timing issue. Hard to diag if there's no codes though. Oil condition is everything for the timing. Make sure your not loosing any coolant, if the water pump is starting to go, it could be binding up on the timing causing this issue. Try adding half...
  12. boominXplorer

Water pump failure leads to dead engine

^^^ Yes, the later model does not fail as quickly as the earlier one. The earlier one likes to intermix but most of those are in edges, fusions ect. 2011 was the change year so I don't think many if any explorers have the early setup. If you run one leaking long enough, it will absolutely...
  13. boominXplorer

question about GT-40P 1.7 rockers and valve covers

On my old ranger, I ran valve covers that put my fill on the back side behind the tb. Used the factory fill elbow on the aftermarket covers for easy fill too.
  14. boominXplorer

I replaced alternator but now tensioner shake...

These tensioners are garbage on the 5th gen. They all get stiff and loose tension. I find people that get an alternator / battery light under load usually just need a tensioner. I have had bad alts though, did one in a 2018 w/55k on it last week.
  15. boominXplorer

360 back up camera recall 2020-2023 models - FSA 23S02

Doing the same with my 22. Zero issues, dealer won't see mine till there's something wrong or I'm trading it in. Only at 5k miles though.
  16. boominXplorer

Toggle Airbags for off road?

I've seen a buddy blow the bags in his ranger just hitting a hole hard and bottoming out. No body damage. I would just pop out the 2 plugs that go into the module when I would wheel mine hard.
  17. boominXplorer

Need advice. Rigs broke.

It's definitely possible without pulling the engine but the engine does need to be lifted to remove the mount plate so you can drill it out. Drill it out, rethread and put it back together. Worst case you move up a size. Now if you got a hole drilled crooked and already ate into the block then...
  18. boominXplorer

2023 Explorer Wiper Blades smearing

Alcohol wipes, rain x wipes and waxed the windshield when I got the truck. Issue was there from pulling it off the lot with 7 miles. My time dealing with the service department isn't worth a $10 wiper to me. These are my go to wipers...... best wipers at great price point. Last set of bosch...
  19. boominXplorer

I tried everything with mine right from the jump even coating the windshield. It had a drivers side streak right off the lot. I can't stand the dealership touching my vehicles (I own my own repair shop) so I handled it myself. I did only the driver side blade for now just to compare.
  20. boominXplorer

Just paid $456 for a trans service

Like 410 said, transmission fluid has gotten EXPENSIVE. Used to be able to walk in to any parts store and get it for $5 a qt. Now your lucky to find it under $10. A drain and refill should only take 7 qt, did they do it 2x dealing with the plug issue? That would make sense for the extra $$$
  21. boominXplorer

Wonder if my 22 ST had the superman wipers? I didn't make it to 2k miles before I had to change mine to aftermarket. Wife hasn't complained since so I guess it's fine now.
  22. boominXplorer

Trying to Install a 4r70w from 2000 5.0 explorer into a 95 4.6 thunderbird lx

Valve body harness is different and your missing the tailshaft speed sensor on the explorer unit that the thunderbird will need. Range sensor will need to be swapped over as well. It's doable but there will be a few hurdles. Just realized you said 4.6. It will not fit, different bellhousing
  23. boominXplorer

Looking at a 2002 Sport Trac for sale

If its currently registered or was previously the owner would be able to get one in VA for $5 or $10
  24. boominXplorer

Looking at a 2002 Sport Trac for sale

Call a locksmith. They can make a key off the current lock and then everything will match. Probably $200-250 to get someone to come to you and make 2 keys but worth the hassle. Option 2: You may be able to take the door lock cylinder into a locksmith to get a key blank cut. That would allow you...
  25. boominXplorer

Boomin's Mounty...

You ought to drive one of these new ST's. 100 more hp and 10 speed transmission makes a world of difference over the 5th gen
Back