Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. B

P1506

P1506 with new IAC and other probs Well I was missing on all 6 cylinders at one point... lol... if the computer has a cumulative memory. If it doesn't, I don't know how I was driving if all 6 were missing. I changed all 6 plugs and wires. I figured at 137k, I would throw a new IAC in...
  2. B

Please help with identifying this part

Thanks, jfh123. Any recommendations on how to clean it? Should I just pull a rag soaked with carb cleaner through it a few times?
  3. B

One piece at a time (like Johnny Cash) I'm going to pull plugs and clean & regap/replace Saturday. I found the EGR... I presume it's the hard plastic tube running from the intake to the IAC. What should I clean it with? I have carb cleaner, but the tube might not appreciate that very much...
  4. B

Cold weather idle stall

Idle Air Control Valve (IACV) Hi RickyB, Search the fora for "IAC" or "IACV." I'm about to replace mine. I have a '99 Sport, and I just pulled it an cleaned it last week. It was filthy, but from what I hear, it's better just to replace them, especially since they run about $40 at most...
  5. B

136k miles I cleaned the IACV (I mean to replace it--and a few other parts--in a couple of months when my tax refunds come along, but for the time I think I can get by with just cleaning it) and the MAS last night. I'm about to reconnect the battery and run a bit of the ol' Sea Foam through it...
  6. B

Thanks Thanks 410Fortune. Regardless of what it was, it snapped right off when I pulled on it. I guess I'm just a little wary of applying too much muscle to something for fear of breaking it. Throttle body = spotless!
  7. B

Bump I think it might not be the speed control wire but the "transmission kickdown cable" or something like that. Anyone know how to remove it?
  8. B

...and how to remove it. I am cleaning out the throttle body and I've unbolted it. I hav ea '99 Sport 4WD SOHC 4.0L engine, and on the right side of the throttle body, there is the throbble cable (which just slides out of its housing) and then another plastic part right next to the...
  9. B

Cleaning IAC...

IAC question A couple of questions for those that know a bit about parts: AutoZone sells a Wells brand part, but O'Reilly sells Borg-Warner and Motorcraft brand parts. The Wells and Borg-Warner are comparable at about $40, but the Motorcraft part is twice that much. Is it that good, or just...
  10. B

Sea Foam Insertion Point

Sea Foam Succcess/IAC valve questions I agree with Billy's method. The IAC method is the least intrusive. I turned it upwards slightly, popped a funnel into it, and went to town. When it was near dying, I used the throttle cable to keep it alive. After half a bottle, I turned the truck off...
  11. B

CEL and Codes... help, please!

Cheers, Howard. I read that post yesterday in my research and hoped that no one would direct me to do the O-ring work, since it may be a bit above my mechanical know-how at the time. I also read the post by "MIKEH" with the very fine step-by-step instructions and photos. Unfortunately, my...
  12. B

CEL and Codes... help, please!

Hi-- I've searched and read previous posts most of the day, but I'd like to get opinions since I haven't seen an issue *exactly* like mine. I have a 99 Sport v6 SOHC. I just finished law school and devoted less time to paying attention to my X than I should have. Here's what happens...
  13. B

Looking to education myself

Looking for information... I'm an admitted non-tinkerer. I'm afraid to break something, so I usually let others work on my X (and break it). And I'm new to 4x4s as well. I have a 99 Sport 4WD and would like an explanation as to how the 4x4 works in my X. The 4x4 selector switch stays on...
  14. B

HOORAY!!!

Ugh. Sorry. I have a 4WD 99 Sport. Go freaking figure. Thanks for the resources, I'll check them out and see if it's workable.
  15. B

HOORAY!!!

Late post here... Okay, I feel like a total moron here. I'm in law school and have always been better at arguing than tinkering, although I have done very minor repairs to my X. When I got the Firestone memo from Ford, I took my X to a tire shop (national chain) and had them put the...
  16. B

Fog light woes...

Heh! I love that movie. Maybe I'll change the name I affectionaly call my X from the Exploder to the Truckster. Just as an FYI for anyone who reads this (and I don't know what good it will do, but I'll post it anyways), the computer I used at Wal-Mart told me to use Sylvania BP55 bulbs...
  17. B

Fog light woes...

Yeah... I saw that post. In fact, that was the one that had the "sealed" reference in it. But now that I think about it, I think I bought the wrong replacement bulbs for the freaking thing. I picked them up at Wally World several months ago, using their "headlight conversion computer"...
  18. B

Fog light woes...

I thought it sounded strange. I can't find the post now... but oh well. I'll crawl back under tomorrow morning and see if i can't twist it out. Thanks!
  19. B

Fog light woes...

Sorry if this is a duplicate post--I ran several searches using various queries and couldn't find anything that helped me. I have a '99Sport (round fog lights). One of them went out a while back and I am just now getting around to changing it. I crawled up under there and released the power...
  20. B

Disengaging the driveshaft? Duh...

Budget told me that the car carrier (what you call a trailer) won't fit my car because of the wheel wells that rise above the platform itself. There is an "aluminum" car carrier <?> that the fellow at Budget told me about that is basically a platform on top of the wheels that should accomodate...
  21. B

Disengaging the driveshaft? Duh...

Okay... so I'm the guy that's always taken cars to mechanics to have things done to them. I know hardly anything about my '99 Explorer Sport. I'm moving cross-country and I need to tow the truck behind me. I can't find a car carrier that's got the nylon safety straps large enough to fit...
  22. B

Sliding out of the driver's seat

Fixed it... I went to the dealer to buy a new dirver's side seat back latch... because I assumed that was what the problem was (what with all of the complaints posted on this board about weak parts). But when I yanked the seat cover off, I found that it was just a bolt that had broken in half...
  23. B

Sliding out of the driver's seat

Seat Lever/Seat I'm probbly the newest person here, so bear with me. I did a search and ran across this string and another similar. This string seems to be the best place to post this. I have a 99 Sport and pulled the lever up to lift the seat so i could hang dry cleaning in the back...
Back