Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. S

Installaton Q's

Hi all. I have bought replacement speakers for my 97 Explorer (5X7's). I was wondering if they will be easy to install or a bit tricky. Will I need any special tools? Anything in particular that I should look out for? Are the panels difficult to remove? Any splicing? I have a 2-door model, will...
  2. S

JBA wires VS Taylor wires

Ok, it time to change my spark plug wires. Should I go with the JBA brand of wires or the Taylor brand. These two brands seem to be the best for the Explorer application. I just changed the spark plugs them self about a month and a half ago with Motorcraft double plats. Which set of wires...
  3. S

Which tires are best?

Got to www.thetirerack.com. The Forteras are definitly up there. These tires got some of the highest ratings for the truck/SUV catagory. They are street tires mind you. If you mainly do onroad driving, these are ideal. My explorer is a 4X2. I am going to check out the other tires suggested by...
  4. S

Thinkin Of Buying A----Lada??__DOH!!!!

Sweet! Ladas rock.................. ( cough, cough ) ..... don't they run on carrasein?
  5. S

Which tires are best?

My X will need new tires soon. The stock tires on the X are the suck-ass Firestone wilderness HP tires, featuring incredibly suck-ass qualities.:shoot: The dimensions of the current tires are 225/70 R15. I will be upgrading to 235/75 R15. Right now, as it stands I think I am going...
  6. S

PCV Valve = Hassel?

How hard is it to take out an old PCV valve? How easy is it to install a new one? I realize that it is a tight fit both to work around with and to actually insert the PCV valve in to the valve head cover. Is it going to give me grief? Should I just get a mechanic to do it 4 me? Also, should I...
  7. S

Motor Craft VS The Other Guys

Ok so I am right around the corner from 60 000 miles/100 000km. I am planning a major tune up soon, probably within the next couple of weeks. I was wondering if it is worth buying Motorcraft brand parts over the other guys ( Purolator, AC Delco, etc.) I ask because my friend has a...
  8. S

Clutch Squeaking...more noticeable than before

Ok, I own a 97 X with Manual Trans. The clutch has been sqeaking for quite some time ( X amount of years ). The clutch has less than 60k miles on it, and temperature (weather outside) seems to play a role in how loud the squeaking is. For example, when it's cold outside, the sqeaking doesn't...
  9. S

The 60 000 mile/100 000km maintenance list

I am not concerned with the PS system. I have already flushed the entire system and filled with Redlines PS fluid. What a huge difference in sound. The transmission fluid is fine. It is not very old, the color is the same as new, and it still shifts great. I have the Mazda 5 speed manual...
  10. S

The 60 000 mile/100 000km maintenance list

Ok so my Explorer is close to 100 000km/60 000miles. Here is what I plan to do when I hit that milestone: - Replace PCV valve - Replace serpentine belt - Replace fuel filter - New spark plugs - New spark plug wires - Oil and filter change - Flush brake fluid - Flush clutch fluid -...
  11. S

E- brake assembly....big job?

Sorry it took me so long to reply people. Ok, so this is what has happened so far. I picked up an E-brake assembly from a junk yard which belonged to a 1998 Explorer. I then brought the explorer to a mechanic so he could replace it with the one from the 98 explorer. It turns out that...
  12. S

80W90 Gear oil in Mazda 5 Speed

Good point! I remember starting my X on a cold evening, and when ever I put it in gear and started accelerating, it ( the transmission ) would shake quite a bit. The next time it was that cold and I had to use the X, I let it idle for a couple of minutes, and it ran perfectly.
  13. S

80W90 Gear oil in Mazda 5 Speed

A solution to your problem... Use Redline's MTL. You will not be disapointed. This stuff can be used in Manual transmissions that call for ATF, even though it's a manual transmission lubricant. In my case it was like pouring in a brand new transmission. The shifts were unbeleiveably smoothe...
  14. S

Well, yeah that's what I did. But does anyone know whether or not this is a big job? Can anyone give me a ball park figure as to how much I will have to pay to get this done? Like I said, I putting one on from a 98 Explorer. I have a 97. Thanx
  15. S

Tommorow I am getting my E-brake assembly replaced with one from a 98 Explorer. The one that's currently in my Explorer is a little messed up. The handle broke off, and a spring came off too. I works fine, but I can't order a new handle and spring. I can only order an entire assembly, that's...
  16. S

Cylinder #3

I beleive all Mountaineers come with the 5.0 V8 don't they?
  17. S

Brake Pad recommendation?

What about Hawk Brake pads...has anyone used those brand of pads before? They are supposed to be much better than stock. Or how about the brand that The Tire Rack.com carries ( I don't remember the name of them ). Has anyone on this board come across any of these brand of pads? Thanx.
  18. S

paint recall

According to this Ford web site, the Explorer ( the model which I have ) doesn't have any recalls. Oh well. Silenze, can you tell us anythig else you know about the paint peeling off of the hood, and whether the only reason ford repainted it was because of the warrenty.
  19. S

Bad MPG.. Ignition system?

Yes, you should expect better mileage from your X after a tune up like that. The motor can go 100k miles before needing a tune up like that. You shouldn't have any problems replacing the stock plugs with the Bosch brand plugs. However I beleive a few people on this board have had some...
  20. S

paint recall

So is there... a recall? I have some cracking on my hood as well. I didn't know what the hell it was from, but this sounds interesting? What is the recall /code? Is this an actuall recall? Has anyone done this yet?
  21. S

What is the Secrets to a Long Tranny Life?

I would seriously look in to investing/take time in doing: a shift kit, Synthetic tranny fluid, schedule tranny flushes, external filter ( like the one you just received ), an auxilary tranny cooler ( a larger one, preferably one with an electric fan ). If I were you I...
  22. S

New Center Console Cover!

What the hell........ that's all I gotta say.
  23. S

kkm power increase?

You shouldn't have any problems passing the emissions test. Is the place that you get your emissions tested out @ testing your exhaust? Or do they pull codes? I ask because I hear that more and more places are starting to pull codes because it's much more faster, and easier. The KKM/K&N will...
  24. S

Got SMOKED by a SHELBY COBRA!!

Hehehe yeeeeeeah:eek:
  25. S

Loss of power after longer drives.

Cool. Did you take a look @ the sensor/sending unit when you took it out (the old one)? What did it look like....compared to the new one? Yeah, replacing your T-stat would be a good next move.
Back