Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. 1

How do I bleed ABS brakes

I have a '93 Gen X 2WD with 4W ABS and am going to change out my calipers tonight. If I prefill the new caliper and reservoir with fluid and a immediately connect brake line to the new caliper, how much bleeding will I need to do? How does the ABS affect how you bleed your brake system...
  2. 1

Calipers. To rebuild or not to rebuild?

Thanks! I checked again with O'Reilly and they said for $17, I could get the steel pistons. So, I will try them. How about bleeding the system? My Haynes manual said to make sure that I plug the hose quickly. its says that if you get air into the control unit then there is a special bleed...
  3. 1

Calipers. To rebuild or not to rebuild?

I have a '93 Gen X with 2WD and have posted a few times here over the last week discussing a roaring noise coming from my front end after doing a complete overhaul on then front end. I.E brakes, rotors and bearings. Prior to the rebuild, I lost my inner pad all together on the drivers side...
  4. 1

Help!! Front end noise has me stumped???

Will it eventually wear out and quiet down or am I in for new tires?
  5. 1

Help!! Front end noise has me stumped???

I have a '93 Gen X 2WD and two weeks ago, I did a complete front end brake job. 1. Replaced ABS rotors with Bendix Rotors, $43/rotor 2. Replaced all bearings, Timken 3. Replaced pad with Bendix pads, $45/set 4. Repacked bearings with Schaeffer 221-2, Alm Complex Moly grease. Every since...
  6. 1

Front end noise and heat after brake job

Been doing some reading on old threads. What would happen if the anit rattle clips where not on? Midas did my last brak job and it appears that they left off the anti-rattle clips. SInce they were not there, I did not put any new ones on. Would the lack of the clips cause the pads to...
  7. 1

Front end noise and heat after brake job

I posted a thread last week decribing a brake job that I did on my '93 2WD Explorer. To recap, I - Changed out rotors with Bendix rotors - Changed out pads with Bendix pads. - Changed out bearings with Timken bearings. - Used Schaeffer 221-2 grease - Tightened to 25 ft-lbs while...
  8. 1

Front end bearings - How Tight?

I have about 150 highway miles miles on the bearings. 20 miles at a time. What are the chances that I have toasted the bearings?
  9. 1

Front end bearings - How Tight?

I have '93 2WD Explorer and on Memorial day, I changed out both front rotors, replaced the front bearings and replaced the pads. I used Bendix brake pads and rotors, Timken bearings and Schaeffer 221-2 grease. I used the 3 step method of torquing the front bearings from Haynes manual. 1. 18-25...
  10. 1

Thermostat change

I replaced mine a couple of months ago and it was fairly easy with the exception of one bolt. Here is a step-by-step 1. Drain coolant. Good time to flush before pulling out T-stat. 2. Pull off air intake duct. 3. Disconnect top radiator hose from t-stat housing. 4. Use a small 1/4 " or...
  11. 1

Ratio?

Thanks. I have a 43 Rear End ==> 3.08. This explains why mine does not shift into overdrive until about 55 mph. However my mpg is still on average 15-17. I with a low ratio, I would do better on the highway. Thanks again. I have always wondered what ratio I have.
  12. 1

Ratio?

According to the metal tag attached to my '03 rear diff, my tag says "S624D 08 88 3F09" What ratio do I have?
  13. 1

Explorer shakes at 60mph

Re: Re: Has any body asked Ford? Yes, please send me the TSB to kmcgovern@houston.rr.com. Is there a website where you can see all of the Ford TSB? Exhaust and shake??????
  14. 1

How many have ATF coolers?

No, I have not yet put a Trans temp gauge on it, but would be interesting to know, especially in the summer. I agree and will never buy a vehicle without it again, but an ATF cooler IMO is the best and cheapest investment to prevent spending $1500-1800 on a rebuild.
  15. 1

How many have ATF coolers?

In the short time that I have been on this board, I have grown very concerned with the poor reliabilty of our Transmissions. According to the posted poll, 64% fail before 130K and about 50% fail before 100K. I was wondering, of the ones that failed, how many had external ATF coolers? Since...
  16. 1

Explorer shakes at 60mph

Has any body asked Ford? Since this seems to be a common problem, has anybody either had Ford attempt to stop it or have asked Ford about the problem? I have someone that works for me that said that he also experienced this with his '93 and he stopped it with a new set of tires. His theory...
  17. 1

Explorer shakes at 60mph

I make it 8! Mine does the same thing at 65-70mph. Any ideas.
  18. 1

Help! Need the secret??

I got it out! I got it out by turning my wheels all the way to the left and then going through the opening in the fendor well. Had to use a small 3/8" drive, but no problem once ya'll showed me the light! Thanks for the help!!!
  19. 1

Hopefully I did it right?

Today, I changed out my thermostat with a Motorcraft 197F thermostat. My old one was also a motorcraft. One big question I have is what is the little ball check for and and what orientation should it be in. Looking into the housing, there was a gap between 11 and 1. So, I guessed that is...
  20. 1

Coolant Opinions

Re: thermostat I wonder why?
  21. 1

Coolant Opinions

How about thermostats? Anybody have any preferences on thermostats Motorcraft or aftermarket? Which ones and why?
  22. 1

Coolant Opinions

I meant the orange extended life. The bottle on it says that it is dexcool equivalent. Silver Prestone bottle?
  23. 1

Coolant Opinions

- I am in need of changing out my thermostat due to it being stuck open and am looking for opinions on which brand Motorcraft or Stant? Another question is has anybody switched over to the orange Dexcool coolant? Good or bad experiences?
  24. 1

Help! Need the secret??

Not yet. I will look and try it.
  25. 1

Help! Need the secret??

I am in the process of changing my spark plugs in my '93 Exp and wonder how the H@ll do you get the back passenger side one out? Help!
Back