Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. A

Inner tie rods creaking

Front end squeak I first diagnosed it by holding on to the tierod while someone pushed up and down on the front end. I could feel it in the tierod. Then I just remove the cotter key and nut and lifted the outer tierod out(you may have to whack the mount with a hammer to get it out). I could...
  2. A

squeaky bed springs under da' hood!

Take a look at your tie rods...inner and outer. My 95 had the same problem. I diagnosed it by holding on to the tie rod and had someone bounce the car and I could feel coming from the inner tie rods. So I had my inners replaced and outers replaced for the hell of it. The dealer told me I...
  3. A

Rattling/knocking in front wheel

Probably your brake caliper or one of your retaining clips is broken on a pad. That was the problem with mine.
  4. A

Installing Remote Entry Module

If the 99 is the same as the 95 the connectors should be behind the kick panel by the passengers right foot. Then I just ran a power wire from the unit to the fuse box...I don't like splicing wires. Good Luck
  5. A

Inner tie rods creaking

I have this loud creaking in my front end that's driving me #$%&ing nuts. I already replaced my swaybar bushings and that was no help. So I disconnected my outer tie rod and moved it around and it feels like it's the inner tie rod causing it. The dealer says I have to replace the whole rack...
  6. A

Loud Squeak Under Front of X

I have the same problem on my '95. I changed my swaybar bushings already...no luck. I had my wife bounce the X while I was under it and I think it's my tierods. I grabbed them while it was bouncing and I could feel it in the tierod. I tried injecting grease with a needle but that only helped...
  7. A

My heater wont work!?!?

Just a guess here. Check out your heater control valve. It's on the passenger side in the engine compartment. It has four hoses going to it and a vacuum line. It's cheap and easy to replace. Maybe the vacuum line came off. I'm assuming here that the fan is working and you just aren't...
  8. A

"O/D off" Light blinking

Throttle position sensor fixed mine. I had hard shifts up and down with a flashing O/D off light. It's costs about $40.
  9. A

Normal running temp... I have a question

My '95 did the same thing when I lived in Alaska...I really needed the heat. Replace your thermostat, it is stuck open. It only takes twenty minutes and it can't hurt to replace a 7 yr old thermo.
  10. A

O/D "on/off" light flashing on dashboard

Had the same problem on my '95. How is it shifting? Is it shifting hard between 1st & 2nd? I had the same light flashing on mine associated with hard shifts and it was the throttle position sensor. Mine would only happen when the engine was warm. I shot the TSP cold and it checked good but...
  11. A

Front stabilizer bushings

Thanks for the help. I'll let you know
  12. A

??O/D light + Check engine light??

I think you got screwed my friend. Mine did the exact same thing. Flashing light and hard shifts between 1 & 2 both up and down. TSP fixed it $60! The damn dealers know very few people will screw with their trannys and they tend to make "money gone bye bye". Show me a dealer mechanic and...
  13. A

Front stabilizer bushings

Has anyone replaced the front stablizer bushings? Mine are creaking like crazy. If anyone has done these I would appreciate any helpful advice.
  14. A

creeking noise?

It could be your front stabilizer bushings. Mine are driving me crazy. My parts will be here soon...i'll let you know.
  15. A

Goodyear Tracker

Wal-mart can order any tire you want. When I asked them about the Long Trails they said they could order them. I think they were about $90 through them. If you have a Sam's close by check them out.
  16. A

Goodyear Tracker

Those aren't on the approved list of replacement tires for explorers and some places won't put them on (personal experience) and I couldn't find any information on the trackers anywhere. I went with the BFG long trails. This is the family car and I only do mild off road since I left...
  17. A

Brake Lights

Check the switch on the brake pedal...it is near the top of the brake pedal arm. That switch may be bad. I don't have the diagram in front of me but it should be fairly easy to ohm out. Does your cruise control kick off when you hit the brake pedal? That is usually a good way to check if...
  18. A

Windshield Washer problem

I had the same problem on mine a few years ago. The whole unit is easy to replace...don't follow the Haynes manual, it'll have you removing the steering wheel. These are the same guys that said to test the coolant sending unit you don't have to remove it...step 2 was to place unit in pot of...
  19. A

Help: on buying a DrawTite hitch

I don't remember the size or manufacturer. I was in a pinch...getting ready for a 800 mile trip through the mountains of Alaska towing a 4500lb travel trailer and I ran to Uhaul to have them put it on an hour before I left. That was three years ago and I haven't had any problems since except...
  20. A

Sorry, I didn't realize you had a manual...no I don't know of one.
  21. A

??O/D light + Check engine light??

Take a look at your throttle position sensor. That can cause both lights. Does yours shift hard both up and down? I had the flashing O/D light associated with hard shifts. Replaced the TSP...two years with no problems. 95 XLT 4WD
  22. A

O/D light blinks

I had the same problem on my 95 XLT 4X4. I tried the computer reset and that didn't work. I took to a tranny shop and they changed the throttle position sensor. That was two years ago and I haven't had any problems since.
  23. A

Don't forget to add a tranny cooler!! You'll be sorry if you don't. These tranny's are tempermental enough...you don't want to overheat it or you'll be walking.
  24. A

O/D OFF light FLASHING What the ?

I had the exact same thing about 2 years ago. Tried the computer reset...didn't work. Took it to a shop and they shot down the throttle postition sensor. Haven't had a problem since.
Back