Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. B

adding class III hitch

I also installed a Class III on my 4.0 05 model. I found the hitch on Ebay and got it for around $50. I swapped it out in my driveway, sitting on all 4 wheels. Didn't need to raise it at all, just have to unbolt the rear bumper cover. Very easy..just watch for the 2 bolts on the very outer...
  2. B

new to explorers . . . some newbie questions

blovell, Welcome to our Forums! You can get some pretty good help from a lot of smart guys on this site. Sometimes it might take a while to get answers because everyone is on such different schedules. Be patient and answers usually show up somehow! I have no doubts you will love your...
  3. B

Help!! Leaky sun/moon roof

Sorry I wasn't of much help for you. Besides the drain tubes, I just couldn't think of anything either. I was hoping that maybe you have an update for us? Are they still working on it? How long/mileage did your explorer have before this started to happen? I sure hate these type...
  4. B

Help!! Leaky sun/moon roof

Well, obviously you need to get that X back to the dealership to get it fixed right! Have you opened the roof since your visit to the dealer? My first question would be ...are you closing it properly? It can sure look closed, but not be. You have to be extra careful to make sure it closes...
  5. B

Factory Ford Hitch Class III

Yep, I got a take-off class III hitch from an Explorer. I found it on E-bay...brand new and in perfect condition. It was under $200, so look around. It only took 20 minutes to install, fit right up. Took that class II hitch and threw it as far as I could (not very far :( ) I know my X is...
  6. B

05' Plastic seat trim always popping off?

I still haven't got my x to the dealer. We are just swamped for time right now. The side still pops off. If I do pull myself up by the pillar and lift myself out, the trim stays in place. That's a lot of work because of my bad back...I can only do it every now and then. My lumbar knob can...
  7. B

Cold Air Induction for an 05 XLT 4.0L

Out of all the kits available, they seemed to have left the 05 out...for a full CAI. Anyhow...of all the setups out there, I feel the best kit available for our Explorers of any year is the KKM. I have had 3 of these on different Explorers and all have worked great. I have one now on my...
  8. B

Will an 05 explorer XLT 4X4 4.0L pull a boat

I also tow our Baja 18 foot boat without any problem. My 05 is an XLT 4.0L 4x4 without tow package. I installed a class III hitch though. She hauls the 3,000lbs of boat just great, but I still like to keep the towing distances down if possible. The X pulls fairly well, but you can feel the...
  9. B

What should I do now?

I agree, rims make a huge difference...also a huge difference in the wallet! Depending on your current money situation you could go for the cheaper upper and lower grill installs, or spend some real cash and get the rims. I like the grills when the "right" ones are selected. I'm hoping to get...
  10. B

05 V6 Oil Drain Plug Gasket?

Mikead_99, You can go right ahead and change out your wife's oil without any worries. No gasket on the plug. Just be sure to not cross-thread when tightening back up, and just snug it down tight. No need to put brute force on it though...sure don't want to strip it...just snug. I shifted my...
  11. B

2002 XLS Luggage Rack - Cross Bars question

Tim, The crossbars are very easy to install and you would have no problem installing them yourself. The plastic endcaps just press-fit in place. You would just pop them off of each side on one end, then the crossrails would just slide onto the side rails. Piece of cake for you. I would...
  12. B

04 Explorer Gas Tank Skid Plate ???

Wow man, I am sorry to see how messed up this order has become. yeah, the middle man might not know that the part is made of plastic or metal, but since they are dealing for this Ford 3rd party, they should have researched this and did a better job of detailing their sales literature about what...
  13. B

I guess we could nitpick this company and their policies to death. I totally agree that their customer service sounds pretty poor if they are taking that long to respond, or maybe not responding at all. That's not acceptable As for the hardware...I don't get it. They were nice enough to...
  14. B

Is this normall for an explorer?

RockO, Welcome to the site! Glad you are becoming a full fledged Explorer enthusiast. I'm on my 3rd now and they have been wonderful vehicles to own. Just thinking about that "stuttering" you described..hummm,....it sure sounds like a good old fashioned case of rear tires breaking loose...
  15. B

Stock Looking Class III/IV Hitch??

I say keep checking Ebay for one. I got lucky and found a nice, new Ford class III on there for a good price. Some of them even come with the stock class III wiring harness too. Good luck with your search. Ken
  16. B

Painting Windshield Cowls + Other

Ranger, Wow, I misread your previous post and didn't realize you had already done a lot of the painting you were talking about! I don't suppose you have some ways of posting pictures of your work do you? I look forward to painting some of my parts too. If you do ever get some pictures...
  17. B

Gas Mileage & 4X4 question

Hal, One quick thing that caught my eye with your above information is that 74 mph that you drive. That speed will really take a hit on your mpg compared to even 65-70. The loss in mpg is exponential above 55...not linear at all. Each additional mph over 55 starts giving you a real hit to...
  18. B

Painting Windshield Cowls + Other

Ranger, I'm surprised nobody has responded here. I think painting the trim pieces would look great. I must be biased because I happen to be doing the same thing to my 05. I put a Ford rear air deflector on the roof, but had to paint it myself. I get my paints from www.paintscratch.com which...
  19. B

Applying Touch-Up Paint

Hey, just wondering how it all came out? Haven't heard any results...hope you didn't get mad and sell the X ;) Touch ups are always hard to get just right. Even if you get the basic paint on there you still need to put clear coat on top or it won't look right. Just one more step to add to...
  20. B

modette, I can see your frustration at not getting e-mails through to the company, or maybe not a reply from one, but I don't think the info they gave you is bad. All they are saying in the e-mail is that according to your VIN number your vehicle didn't come with a skid plate from the factory...
  21. B

How's your leather upholstery holding up?

My 05 leather is looking great at 25,000 miles. My explorer spent it first 22,000 miles as a rental car in Dallas Texas. I'm just sure all those renters took extra care with the upholstery...right? :rolleyes: I think the leather is pretty good, just be sure to use leather conditioner on a...
  22. B

Stock Tow Hitch, Anybody use it?

Trayson, I agree with you about it being easier to buy the correct harness and plug it in. $75.00 more was the main reaon. I could not find the correct harness anywhere except for a new one from Ford. They wanted right at 100.00 for it. I got this harness for $20 and it works great. I...
  23. B

2005 Advance Trac MPG

Yep, me too. I average around 18mpg with mine. The AT stuff won't bother his mileage. Maybe lighter tennis shoes will help ;) Ken
  24. B

05' Plastic seat trim always popping off?

Yeah, I know...big deal, the seat trim pops off. I guess I'm just too **** about my cars. It BUGGGGGGGS the crap out of me. Everytime I open the door I look down at it and get the urge to wring a Ford designers neck :fire: I'm still trying to find a solution, none of my experiments have...
  25. B

Stock Tow Hitch, Anybody use it?

John, I don't know the whole answer to your question, but here is one thing I did find out during my swap. I was able to buy a used trailer wire harness that had the proper 7 pin connector. I believe the harness came off of a F-150. I installed my class III and bought a Ford stock 7 pin plug...
Back