Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. T

Loose Gas Tank Baffle Fix?

I took the tank out again, to remove the loose baffle, but I did a dumb thing. I didn't really examine HOW the plastic baffle was attached to the metal tank, and just broke it out of there. Turns out, the metal tank has a ridge where the plastic baffle slides under. I may have been able to...
  2. T

Looks like there is some sort of baffle in that new one. Thanks for the tip!
  3. T

The tank is clean inside, so not rust. The car got rear-ended when it had 1/2 tank of gas, so maybe that broke the baffle's bond to the metal. The baffle won't come out of the hole...the hole is too small. I wish I had taken a photo of it, but it just didn't register in my mind until I had...
  4. T

Hi All The black plastic baffle inside the steel tank of my 2000 Mountaineer 2WD has come loose. Has anyone had any success getting it stuck back into place? If so, how did you do it, and with which materials? I had the gas tank out to change the pump/sender assembly. It's a pretty easy...
  5. T

2000 V8 Oil Level Sensor Not Available?

The one I have has 3 wires and a clip connector, PN f57z-6c624-ac . The other one is the old single wire unit. I found an NOS one on ebay, $85...
  6. T

2000 V8 Oil Level Sensor Not Available?

All The oil level sensor on my 2000 Mountaineer leaks. I took it out, and it's all one piece, not the 2-piece one of years past. I looked in all the usual places, Autozone, O'Reilly Auto, NAPA, RockAuto, and the part is no longer available. Standard part number FLS51, or NAPA ECH FLS641...
  7. T

Goofy driver side door lock!

FIXED!!! I looked at the relays behind the computer, and there were two each of different sizes. I switched the larger two, and nothing changed. I switched the smaller of the two, and it all works! I switched them back, and the problem returned. (the two on the right in the attached pic)...
  8. T

When I reversed the polarity of the wires, the lock moved the other direction. There is something in the control system that reverses the polarity of the wires. Anyone know what that is?
  9. T

Gotta LOVE these electrical gremlins! I have a 2000 (built 11/99) Merc Mountaineer Monterey. I did some troubleshooting with the balky driver side door lock actuator, and still haven't got 100% function out of it. Inside the car: push down on D/S LOCK button, 3 doors and liftgate lock...
  10. T

Lock Acutators: One brand better?

Amen on that! We locked ourselves into the back of our Mountaineer overlooking the Grand Canyon! Had to do some crawling!
  11. T

By "Doorstop," do you mean to say "Dorman"? Is that brand a lesser quality? Gerard
  12. T

All I'm about to embark on changing out defective door lock actuators on my 2000 Mountaineer. The reviews on Amazon for the cheapest unit (Dorman 746-145) are mixed...some people are having really poor luck with them. What brand are people here having good luck with? Thanks, Gerard
  13. T

5.0 engine squeak: Not the belt!

Yes, like the prior poster says, two very small bolts on the top. The sensor is black and can be removed from the aluminum housing, no problem. You just don't want to remove the aluminum housing and its shaft from the engine...you would have to retime it. Gerard
  14. T

Cam synchronizer chirp Update, May 2012 Well, things are looking good, knock on wood! A few months ago, I put some mid-weight grease under the sensor, near the synchronizer shaft, and haven't hear a peep from it in many miles / months. Don't replace, lubricate! Gerard San Diego
  15. T

More wear on left side F&R brakes

Weird thing on my 2000 Mounty V8 2WD: The LEFT side front AND rear brakes have always produced more dust than the right side. At a recent tire rotation, I see why: The pads on the left side have more wear! The brakes work fine, no pulling or other funny business. Wear on the inner/outer pads...
  16. T

Odd Driver's door power lock problem

Ok, this is a weird one... 2000 Mountaineer 4 door, with keyless entry. I've had the car about a year, and the driver's door power lock has worked intermittently. Now, it's quit again, and in a strange way. Mechanically, using the steel key, everything works. Only electrically is there...
  17. T

2000 Mounty: Add Headrest?

Maybe...will they stay put on the tapered seat backs of my car? I don't have separate headrests to wrap those around....my headrests are part of the seat backs.
  18. T

2000 Mounty: Add Headrest?

Hi All My 2000 Mounty has front seats with integral headrests. My girlfriend pointed out the other day that the distance between the headrest and her head is pretty far, making it uncomfortable to lean back and take a nap in the seat. Does anyone know if there is an aftermarket cushion we...
  19. T

recharging an R-12 with R134-a

I had a 1990 Bronco II, originally filled with R-12. I purchased a cheap ($25?) conversion kit from WalMart (or KMart?) that included the conversion fittings, a filler hose, and one can of R134. I think I bought two more cans of R134 to make a full fill. I removed the R12, pulled a vacuum on...
  20. T

Replace Oxygen Sensors for better mileage?

Hi All! As my 2000 Mounty 5.0 2WD passes 150,000 miles, I'm wondering if new oxygen sensors would improve my gas mileage. No codes right now, just sensors with a lot of miles. Has anyone replaced all 4 sensors just because of high miles? If so, did your fuel economy improve? If I do...
  21. T

Cam positioner chirp Ok, now April 28, 2011, and the chirp is back. Time for some more oil! Gerard
  22. T

How do I add 12v tap in left rear of 2000 Mounty?

It's going to be a very low load...1 amp at the most. Is there some sort of accessory wire going back through there? Gerard
  23. T

How do I add 12v tap in left rear of 2000 Mounty?

Hello All! I'm trying to add a 12v power tap (cigarette lighter socket) into the left rear area of my 2000 Mountaineer. When you remove the jack cover, there are a lot of wires and boxes in the wheelhouse, one of which SHOULD have a 12v hot wire. Now, the problem is which one? It has to be...
  24. T

UPDATE: It's now February 3, 2011, and not a PEEP from the formerly squeaky cam positioner shaft. The 3-In-1 sewing machine oil seems to have done the trick! Gerard
Back