Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. J

Explorer to Aviator front brake upgrade

Does this swap affect the turning radius?
  2. J

How long did your Servo Bore "O-Ring Fix" last

I’m up to 272,000 mi. O-ring fix has lasted 65,000 mi so far. Only did one if the servos. Other things have started to go wrong. Looking at pulling a junkyard trans. Will transfer servo to “new” trans before install.
  3. J

How long did your Servo Bore "O-Ring Fix" last

I did mine at 206k 2-3 years ago. Now I'm at 254k. O
  4. J

Longer Wheel Studs?

2002 Ford Explorer with Montego Rims(with Ford centers) and 265 60 18 Michelins EXPLORERXLS.JPG I tried to post a pic, but it turned it upside down for some reason.
  5. J

Longer Wheel Studs?

Where do you go to get wheels "bored out"?
  6. J

Longer Wheel Studs?

Yes. I don't think you understand.
  7. J

Longer Wheel Studs?

I replaced stock 16in wheels on my 2002 XLS with 18in wheels from about a 2005-2007 Mercury Montego. They look great, but because the Montego is a car, the hub center will not fit over the Explorer center, causing a fitment problem. Spacers solve the problem...5/16" on front and 1/2" on back...
  8. J

5R55W Solenoid Block Replacement

Sounds like it might be mechanical. You sure linkage is working right? (the shift lever is actually doing anything down at the transmission?)
  9. J

How many miles on your 3RD GEN! orig. tranny????

235000 mi with one partial repair and one servo bore o-ring miracle procedure.
  10. J

Thermostat bolt issue

One of mine broke too. Couldn't get it out. Used two to hold it on. No leaks in over a year.
  11. J

2002 ford explorer 4.0

Double post
  12. J

2002 ford explorer 4.0

I can't , but my mechanic did.
  13. J

Rear Hatch Swap

My 2002 never cracked. My Dad's 2002 v8 did crack, and dealership fixed it and painted it free of charge even though it was out of warranty.
  14. J

Anyone replace there hubs lately?

To tell if you need hubs replaced, jack up car and take hold of tire and try to move it like you're turning left and right. If there is play, you need hubs.
  15. J

04 explorer tranny

I'd go to transmission shop to get diagnosis. Solenoid cheapest and easiest. If it is servo bore, would recommend servo bore fix http://www.fordservoboretransmissionfixsolution.com/ . Saved hundreds of dollars and still going after 20k miles.
  16. J

Replace seat backs with backs with head rests

Hi. I have a 2002 XLS with seats without any headrests. I am replacing with junkyard seat backs from a 2004 with identical upholstery but that has the adjustable headrests. If I could find complete seats that were in good shape, I would have done that, but most drivers seat bottoms are...
  17. J

Valve Stem Seals 5.0

Mine was doing this along with fouling spark plugs about once per week. Thought it must be valve stem seals. Called dealer service guy. He said it would cost $1100, but that he'd never seen it done in all his time there. He said check PCV. I said what the hey, and I got a new PCV and when I...
  18. J

2002 Rear Suspension work

Sway bar bushings and links.
  19. J

po 171 and 174 stumped

Double post
  20. J

po 171 and 174 stumped

Just reading up on pcv problems. It mentioned those codes specifically.
  21. J

Anti-sway bar link replacement guide w/pics

Saw it right in the middle.
  22. J

5R55W Solenoid Block Replacement

I have 2002 Explorer, 4.0 sohc with 192k mi. For about 5 months, transmission has been acting iffy. First thing in morning, did not want to shift into 2nd. Sporadically bump when shifting from 4th to 3rd (or 3rd to 2nd---not sure), and a sporadic shudder between 4th and 5th. After 5 months...
  23. J

Rear end noise?

When you take your differential out, all instructions say to mark the flange and Drive shaft to keep same orientation. If you are putting in a used rear end, is there any special way to orient the used one with your present drive shaft?
  24. J

2002 explorer front strut lower bolt

I used a 3" socket extension as a punch. Hammered it right out.
  25. J

How many miles on original 3rd Gen Tranny?

Lost 2nd or 3rd gear at about 100k, repaired just those gears instead of total rebuild. Going strong at 179k.
Back