Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. S

Total vs. Fix My 2000 Ex

I seem to remember reading that in 2002 they went with a different, less good V8. I'd really like a little more modern look of 3rd Gen. Are those V8s okay? Were all the 3rd Gen tranny problems confined to the V6? One thing I'd love to get in a replacement Ex, regardless of year, is a...
  2. S

Total vs. Fix My 2000 Ex

I'm tending to agree that I can't go wrong buying it back for parts, which buys me some time. I'd love to step up a generation rather than another 2nd Gen, which was old when I bought it and more so now. I'm not sure I can buy a new enough 3rd Gen to hopefully skip past some of the 1st or 2nd...
  3. S

Total vs. Fix My 2000 Ex

I'll have to make a decision shortly on what to do about my Ex that got rear-ended last week, as the guy who hit me's insurance company has finally come through and declared it totaled. Estimate of repair were in the $3100+ range from their recommended shop, and he said it could go higher when...
  4. S

Removing Interior Get To Trans Access Plate

Before I go through this, does this give me access to the right front oxygen sensor connector on a 2000 SOHC? I ask because as best I can trace that wire trying to reach up from underneath it appears it goes somewhere between the engine and firewall, not to the console area. Funny thing was...
  5. S

correct parts #'s 4.0sohc guides & tensioners with pics...

Thanks. It almost sounds like the worst part is the oil pan! What is the deal with that being so difficult? When you say upper oil pan do you mean the one with the drain plug? My manual only indicates one oil pan. Also, just dropping the radiator doesn't seem to be the most casual thing...
  6. S

correct parts #'s 4.0sohc guides & tensioners with pics...

Okay, I've read this and a different 15(!) page thread and am still a bit confused. I've got the death rattle, and am reasonably handy mechanically, just not experienced with Fords. I look at my engine and see all kinds of pulleys and the serpentine belt up front yet what I gather from all...
  7. S

Rear stabilizer shock?

I installed some Monroe Plus or blue shocks last week based on some other thread's recommendation that they were like factory. I paid about $80 for the set on Amazon. Normally I'd not take a chance on such a low end product but it's not driven much and has over 200k miles so not looking to...
  8. S

How To: Replacing Front Hub / Bearing 1995+ Ford Explorer IFS

Great thread. Took a gamble on my left front hub tonight since I couldn't definitively pin the location of the throbbing sound which was really getting loud yet not changing perceptibly when I cornered. First, after all the fears of how hard it would be to get everything apart, especially on a...
  9. S

How to: How To: Replacing Rear Axle Wheel Bearings

Okay, I'm thinking I have multiple problems. When I bought my 2000 Ex six months ago (fortunately got it cheap) it had a bit of a thumping/throbbing sound coming from what I'm sure is the front end. The previous owner said it preceded the new tires and his mechanic couldn't find the problem...
  10. S

Ah, so both sides are the same. I would have thought so yet I thought I remembered reading some place they weren't. Now I feel better about guessing which side is bad knowing I can swap them around.
  11. S

Over-torqued spark plugs

Okay, I wasn't so much worried about removing them in the future as I was that there was damage or stresses from cranking them in there higher than spec.
  12. S

Over-torqued spark plugs

I just replaced the plugs on my 2000 Ex at 201k miles, first time I did as the new owner. I did use anti-seize. First, I must say that was far and away the worst experience I've ever had changing plugs. I've never had to remove tires and such to do that, plus it was incredible effort with...
  13. S

Spark Plug Gap Question

Never mind, it appears NAPA has a couple that go to .1", hopefully in stock locally.
  14. S

Spark Plug Gap Question

Hmmm, I guess I'll keep looking. Would be obscene to have to order one and I want to do it this weekend. I was wondering why the Ex was still pinging lightly after I did all the other maintenance and found out why when I pulled a plug. The previous owner spent bucks on some things but skipped...
  15. S

Spark Plug Gap Question

I can't believe I have to post for this, but I just picked some Motorcraft SP-500 AGSF22FM plugs for my 2000 Ex SOHC, and the gap spec is .052-.056. I can't find a gap gauge anywhere that goes higher than .045. How do I measure this? I tried to search on info that says they may ship with a...
  16. S

Everyone keeps referring to grinding noises. What I have is rapid thump-thump-thump like an out of balance or out of round tire, the same noise I'd always get when my VW wheel bearings went. The guy I bought it from assured me the noise preceded the current set of tires so that seems not to be...
  17. S

Which Scanner ODB2 will be better?

I'm a little confused. For pulling performance data am I better off buying a nice scanner like a Equus 3130 or 3160 or going the PC route? I think I remember reading that if I do the electric radiator fan mod there needs to be some sort of programming to make it work, do either of these help...
  18. S

Tranny flush question.....

While I don't think it really makes a whole lot of difference I think if you dumped and refilled rather than continuously pump in as you drain you probably lose a little less new fluid in the process. I think it would depend a lot on the path the fluid takes from the input to the output...
  19. S

Grrr. Less than 12 hours after flushing my tranny, after deciding not to do a pan drop, I stumble on a thread that talks about Fram Microfelt tranny filters. I decided against a pan drop in part because I thought all the pan filters were the screen variety and therefore not any good for fine...
  20. S

Wow, did my first flush of an auto tranny using this thread's methods. I drained out the metal line where it meets under the radiator. Having no idea how fast the fluid would pump out I showed my 13yr old daughter how to start and stop the Ex while I watched. After a few quarts of seeing how...
  21. S

Does anyone have recommendations on gaskets for the tranny pan? I'd heard that some of the aftermarket ones were prone to leakage and that it may be best to suck it up and pay for Ford's overpriced gaskets. Are there particular materials to watch out for?
  22. S

Frame Mounted Trailer Hitches

Okay, the newbie is learning. Once I saw how the mechanism for lowering the spare worked I had the idea if it was lowered and the raised back up after the hitch was in place there'd be enough freedom of movement that I could simply raise it about an inch further forward without even bending the...
  23. S

I just checked it and I can at most remove about 1/8" from the rear of the nose before cutting into the welding bead. Bummer. I don't have the tools to do heavy metal cutting anyway except very laborously, and once I start I can't return it. I attempted to contact Hidden Hitch but their web...
  24. S

I just got a Hidden Hitch with the round tubing. My 2000 EX has a 15" spare and I thought I saw an issue using this hitch with a 16" spare, but the spare is definitely in the way of the hitch. Any ideas? Also, the hitch is held on with just four bolts. How is it possible the hitch can handle...
  25. S

Throbbing in Rear

If you want to call it pulsing, a fairly rapid sound that varies with speed, kind of like you get with a wheel bearing going bad. The tires are nearly new and the problem apparently preceded them from what the seller said. There are no observable wear problems, it tracks well, brakes straight...
Back