Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. T

Time for tires

So far, I'm really happy with the Verde Plus on snowy and icy roads. We have not had any deep snow like last year, and I was hoping to have that as the test before I made a final comment. I can confidently say that I have more control on slippery roads than I had with the Hankooks. I just need...
  2. T

Time for tires

We are having a pretty good slushy ice storm, and I was driving around about 2 hours running errands on unsalted/unplowed roads, alleys, and lots. There is a BIG difference in the traction over those Hankooks, and I'm really happy with the performance and gripping of these Pirelli Scorpions...
  3. T

Time for tires

When I was purchasing tires, Mgr. Jeremy, at Discount Tires in Oak Lawn, IL, told me I can put 265s on as an option (without my asking) if I wanted to, but I stuck with the recommended stock size.
  4. T

Time for tires

Lucky me...I was out of town and my truck sat in the garage. It's still early though, so I'm sure we'll be hit again soon. I got mine at the Discount Tire in Oak Lawn, BTW. Jeremy there was experienced with these and the 2014 Explorer.
  5. T

Time for tires

New AS Tires - Just re-tired my truck with Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus, getting rid of the Hankooks. I think for Chicago, these will serve me well after talking to two people who had done the same last year with their 2014 Explorers. I'll post updates here after the season's...
  6. T

True 4wd? Or awd?

Thank Halwg....with the new weather extremes, it does make sense. Whose brand are those? Are those yours?
  7. T

True 4wd? Or awd?

After reading 182RG's suggestion of Sand Mode if you get stuck, I did try it while looking at the display, and from what I saw, this would have possibly helped my situation a little more because (tires aside) it does put power to all four wheels. I feel a little more confident having...
  8. T

True 4wd? Or awd?

Thank you everyone. The truck was in a slushy mix, so when I got out, it didn't appear that I bottomed out or had a pile up in front. I think as 182RG said, that Sand Mode would have been best for my situation. I experimented today with the Left Display mode screen, observing what the system...
  9. T

True 4wd? Or awd?

Thank you Mark!
  10. T

True 4wd? Or awd?

Thanks for the reply 182. I need to disregard that rear 4X4 logo. Hopefully I did no damage with rocking. Now that I rethought that morning of stuck-ness, I may have rocked it about 6 times to get out. Next time, I'll try the Sand mode and see if it will make the difference.
  11. T

True 4wd? Or awd?

Getting Stuck in Snow I replaced my 2003 Explorer XLT 4X4 with a 2014 Limited 4X4. This was my first winter with her and I did get it stuck in the one big snow we had. This made me question the 4X4 system, because the 2014 felt different than the 2003, which was never a problem in the deepest...
  12. T

3rd gen Explorer Blend Door Actuator Replacement

Hey Jack, Yes...I now lost heat. I had heat for about a week as long as I didn't touch the temp adjustment, then, it sounded like the actuator lost a few more teeth on it's gear when my wife adjusted the temp knob. The actuator is just clicking away now. Looking forward to seeing the diagram...
  13. T

3rd gen Explorer Blend Door Actuator Replacement

2003 xlt Hi Everyone. New to the board from Chicago. Well, after finding this great thread, it really convinced me I can tackle the problem and save myself some big bucks. I'm prett handy and can fix a lot of things like washers and dryers, radios, and even my big screen projection TV...
Back