Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. J

No oil pressure

I was open and honest with the buyer about *every* issue this Explorer has, including the oil pressure gauge. I sold it for less than what the pull a part yard offered me for it, because I thought if someone could get some use out of it, someone should get some use out of it. At close to...
  2. J

No oil pressure

Well, it got the point where it was either start it and try to drive it to the scrap yard, or call a tow truck to drive it there, so I opted to try and drive it there, since they pay by the #, not whether it is driven in, or towed in, and I'd have to pay for a tow. After a couple laps around...
  3. J

No oil pressure

96 Limited V6 18x,x.. miles This is our 'spare' vehicle, so it's sat for the last 6 months, other than to start it up a couple times and drive it around the block. I decided to change the oil. After changing the oil, the 'check gauge' light is on, and the oil pressure gauge shows no...
  4. J

96 Explorer headlights

We just retired my wife's 96 Limited from daily driver use. Having said that, it's going to be our 'spare' vehicle, and now I have the time to do the work I've been meaning to get to for some time now. One of the first annoyances would be the headlights. I replace the bulbs at least a...
  5. J

Control arms - Raybestos vs Motorcraft vs Moog vs others?

That helps, thanks, I was looking in the wrong place I guess. I could be wrong - but I need parts for the drivers side of a 96 limited with a 4.0 V6 The part #s I get are 502-1021 or 502-1021B for upper - $69 vs $34 507-1144 for lower, $74.79
  6. J

Are you using the 'OEM Replacement' or 'Advanced Technology' parts? The upper is available both ways - the advanced technology being about $30 more than the 'OEM replacement' On Raybestos' site, they don't explain what you get with advanced technology :)
  7. J

My wife's 96 Explorer limited is still chugging along, around 180k. We expect to change it from 'daily driver' status to 'spare vehicle' in the next few months, as it's pretty tight with 3 kids in the back seat. That, and the body is rusting in a few areas. On the bright side, the drivetrain...
  8. J

Stumbling under acceleration

I've done plenty of other maintenance on this truck.. just never plugs and wires! It's turning into a bit of a money pit. Not as much of a money pit as a car payment on a new SUV, but I am noticing it :) Sooner or later, I'm going to have a new drivetrain with a dented up, rusty body :) This...
  9. J

I'm mainly curious if there's anything else that is worth changing at the same time. It seems like an obvious culprit.....
  10. J

96 Limited, stock, around 180k While at interstate speed, while accelerating, the truck sometimes stumbles. The plugs and wires are original. I have new Motorcraft parts coming from Rock Auto. No CEL. I've not touched the plugs as it's been in the family since new, and there are no...
  11. J

ABS Codes

Oh, OK, so the HCU is potentially bad then.. that's the thing in the engine compartment between the master cylinder and the battery.. I think I follow now
  12. J

ABS Codes

I'm not familiar with these, do I just need to disconnect the battery to clear them?
  13. J

ABS Codes

I had both front hubs replaced about a week ago, as the left side wheel bearings were getting uber noisy and it just made sense to replace them both. Before the hub replacement, I had the following code: B1194 ABS $28 Antilock Brake System Outlet Valve Coil Left Front Circuit Malfunction...
  14. J

For Sale Parting Out 97 Explorer Limited V8 + Extras!!

Looking for Drivers side fender Front bumper (cover and bumper underneath the cover Not sure it's cost-effective to ship to 47203, but my wife tagged a concrete parking post, and I'd sure love to get stuff that's already the right color!
  15. J

Troubleshooting power window issues

On my wife's 96 Limited, the front power windows are 'sticky' I've replaced the gear with clutches in ford power window assys before, but this doesn't seem to be the same thing. The windows start to roll down, and the motor bogs down. It will eventually roll the window all the way down...
  16. J

Which hub should I buy?

Got the tires balanced and rotated today. Vibration is fixed! The truck has not been this quiet in years!
  17. J

Which hub should I buy?

UPDATE Took the Explorer to my mechanic buddy yesterday and had him install new front hubs for me. I went ahead and scrounged up the dough to get them both and replace them both. Have a new problem that may be related, though. After replacing the hubs, I drove around a bit, and hit the...
  18. J

Which hub should I buy?

Thanks for the advice, everyone And thanks for serving, obie.
  19. J

Which hub should I buy?

American Made is important to me, that's part of the reason I'm still patching a 96 Exporer back together time and time again :) As much as I'd like to change both of them, I think I am going to have to do one now and plan to do the other in a month or so. Interestingly enough, both hubs were...
  20. J

Which hub should I buy?

My Wife's 96 Limited 4WD Explorer appears to have bad wheel bearing(s) on the drivers front corner. At around town speeds, no problems whatsoever, but when we get up to interstate speeds, the noise will run you out of the cab. It's deafening. Back in 2008, I had the hub replaced on the...
  21. J

96 Explorer Limited AC problem

Finally solved this. I took the 'old' control unit apart, and examined the PCB under magnification and found a burnt solder joint on a relay on the PCB. I tried to reflow the solder, but the pin on the relay was burnt and would not take solder, even with flux. I carefully sanded the pin with a...
  22. J

P1401 code

I'm getting a P1401 DPFE Sens Circuit High Volt DPFE sensor is new EGR solenoid is new Wiring to both is intact, non-damaged. Hoses to both are intact, non-damaged. Where do I look next? EGR valve?
  23. J

Starting problem

Got the truck home. New fuel pump fixed the problem. Wife will be happy that she can now drive around as much as she likes, without having to wait an hour to restart :) Same mechanic is changing the motor mounts in my Supercoupe today. I really wanted to do that job myself, but I'm too busy...
  24. J

Starting problem

Took it into the shop today to have the fuel filter and rear brake pads changed. Truck wouldn't start after the new filter was installed, so the mechanic hooked up a fuel pressure gauge and says it is putting out around 30 psi. He says we need a new fuel pump. He got one, started to drop the...
  25. J

Starting problem

Back to this problem again. Replaced the EGR DPFE and solenoid, and cleared the code today. Hopefully it won't come back. Now I am seeing a couple new codes P0133 Oxygen Sensor Circuit Slow Response Bank 1 Sensor 1 The parts counter guy says I have a bad oxygen sensor, but apparently this...
Back