Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. B

Battery: Best way to minimize charge loss when parked for extended periods?

Initially I have some questions: 1.) Is it actually not starting for you on these bi-weekly trips to the grocery store? 2.) What is the condition of the current battery? 3.) Is it 100% charged when returning from the VA? 4.) How old is the battery? If losing its charge between trips to the...
  2. B

Have a 4.6L? Here's a problem I bet you all have...

Having just repaired my harness on my EX, and it exhibiting the same symptoms yours has, I would venture to say that yes this is your problem. Fairly simple to fix but I removed the tire and wheel seemed to make access a little easier. While there check your oil filter adaptor for any signs of...
  3. B

Anyone do this fix for spark plug blown out of head?

Had the same thing happen to me only on #7. I think it occurred because I did not use the torque spec (laziness). However mine did not take out the threads as most have posted. I was able to thread mine in and torque to spec. I see nothing wrong with trying it for the price. The...
  4. B

Looking for a good repair manual...

Shop manual I got my shop manual and my driveability diagnosis manual on ebay. I paid about 70 for the pair. I 've found that they are the most useful tools I've purchased in connection with my Ex. Good luck to you!
  5. B

Would you recommend an 02?

02's are selling around KC (nice ones with comparable mileage) for around 5-6K. I have the V8 in mine so can't comment on the V6. Sounds like it has been rode hard. For 2k might be worth it. Is it 4x4? Yes of course it is. Get my glasses.
  6. B

changing plugs and coils on my V8

There is a way to test the coils. I have not done it. Having said that, I have just always found that on my truck when there was ever a mis-fire or code P03** it has always been the rubber boots, plugs or spring connectors. Now I am NOT saying you don't have a coil problem but from where I...
  7. B

Spark Plugs....

Yep just pop the boots off the coil. The spring may stay attached to the blade terminal inside the bottom of the coil but it too, just pulls out. Be sure to buy ONLY boots which come with the springs connectors and use di-electric grease its cheap preventive maintenance. Good Luck to ya...
  8. B

Spark Plugs....

Can't rightly tell you what that it but with that many miles on it and the oil you had in the number 8 plug well, Iwould replce all of the rubber boots on the coils. NAPA has high temp ones. The oil is most likely from a leaky valve cover gasket. Had the same problem. New boots cured it.
  9. B

changing plugs and coils on my V8

I would also add that I would not replace the coils if you aren't having problems. HOWEVER, I would definitely replace the plug boots. I had a recurring P0308 misfire on cyl. 8 and high temp boots from NAPA solved the issue. Mine has 195,000. Rick :exp: New coils will (should) come with...
  10. B

P0308 code an update

Not at all. When I looked at the rest of the boots they were real soft and spongy. No wonder it was missing. Rick:exp:
  11. B

Roaring noise in front upon accelerating

That's great stuff. Worth trying the t-stat first don't you think? Rick
  12. B

Spark Plug Threads........

hey imp, Used anti seize on mine and had #7 back out. could have been because I didn't torque to spec. if you have an inch/lb. torque wrench be sure and use it. rick
  13. B

Roaring noise in front upon accelerating

Mine does same thing. I am thinking fan clutch?? rick:exp:
  14. B

High-mileage Explorers - going to be a problem?

2002 Limited 188,000 2nd owner. !st owner (local guy) replaced trans @ 120,000. I love mine.
  15. B

Possible tune up?

AGREED:exp:
  16. B

03 Limited 4.6V8 Hesitates/Misses

Agree with Curtis. This was part of my problem on #8 (plus the bad boot). Dielectric grease is the COP's best friend. High temp boots from NAPA's Belden Wires line are awesome. Rick
  17. B

Just received my manual and the first thing it indicates to check with these symptoms is the DPFE transducer/sensor which has two vacuum hoses and a three pin plug up near the firewall side of the engine. EGR Valve not seating EGR vacuum regulator solenoid vent restricted damaged regulator...
  18. B

an easy check of the regulator is to pull the vacuum line from the regulator while engine is running. KEEP A SHOP CLOTH READY. if fuel comes out then regulator is bad. A fuel pressure gauge (can be rented) will come in extremely handy. Check before and after filter replacement. You will be...
  19. B

Fuel filter could well be the culprit. I would further check the fuel pressure and regulator. I will have a PCM/Emissions Diagnosis Manual for 2002 Ford Engines in a day or so. Also found this: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217062&highlight=replace+elbow No...
  20. B

No codes at all? Interesting. I would certainly look at all the usual suspects, i.e., fuel filter, vacuum leaks, coils, plugs, COP boots (the rubber breaks down and minute cracks will cause misfires, spark tracking), MAF clean?, one more thing if you change the plugs BE SURE you torque...
  21. B

Have a 4.6L? Here's a problem I bet you all have...

Nice work. I'll be checking mine in the morning. Nice photos. Thanks. Rick:exp::thumbsup:
Back