Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. B

1st gen 65mph shake

I 2nd the recommendation of adding the transmission mount to the list of things to look at when troubleshooting death wobble. Pretty easy to replace, pretty cheap, and we're talking 15 years old minimum at this point. Motor mounts could probably all use it too but I think the tranny mount is...
  2. B

towing problems with 4wd ranger

These days automatics are almost always rated to tow more than manuals. Probably related to the clutch. If your clutch wasn't slipping that probably wasn't an issue for you, but something to keep an eye on. Bigger tires don't help and it sounds like your new truck has higher gears.
  3. B

A Modest proposal for those 5R55E Owners - EPC Solenoid Replacement Proposal

Bingo....I wish my 92 only had 60K on it, try 245K. Only on its 2nd A4LD though.
  4. B

Upgrading the Suspension to handle heavier loads

Sounds like a good candidate for timbrens. Basically simple air bumpstops, I've heard great things from everyone that uses them.
  5. B

A Modest proposal for those 5R55E Owners - EPC Solenoid Replacement Proposal

Subscribing. I'm at 60K and was leaning towards doing an OEM replacement anyway when I drop the pan and update the VB.
  6. B

New to me B4000, 5R55E, 60K currently, preventative recommendations

Preventative VB work along with other stuff at 60K, necessary? Hi all. I bought a 1999 B4000, 4.0 OHV with a 5R55E with 60K on it last fall. Everything seems to be in working order but I want to do some things this summer as preventative type stuff. It does have a factory aux cooler. On the...
  7. flatbed yota

flatbed yota

8. B

99 B4000, AC bypassed, CEL

Thanks for the response. Everything else I found seemed to agree so I did the old pull the battery cable reset (truck was running fine) and the light did not come back on. Even then pulled the 2 plugs to the compressor, no light...so bypassing the AC compressor does not cause a CEL. It must have...
  9. B

99 B4000, AC bypassed, CEL

I got a 99 B4000 a couple of months ago and just started getting a ticking/sqweaking from one of the front pulleys. Turns out after a non-AC belt installed that it was indeed the compressor. However now I have a CEL which I'm assuming is due to the AC compressor not spinning? I also changed the...
  10. B

Bypass auxiliary filter for tranny

Thanks Al. I'm not surprised you're the first to respond. I'll stick with a straight full flow just like on the X. Thanks a bunch.
  11. B

Bypass auxiliary filter for tranny

I just bought a 99 Mazda B4000 to add to the family and the first thing I'm going to do to it is add an aux filter for the tranny. With the recent craze about bypass filter I was wondering if anyone has done this or saw the benefit in doing it to the tranny. More importantly, could this be done...
  12. B

Steering Pull After alignment

In Maine we have mostly 2 lane roads, and highways are 2 lanes as well. When you're in the left lane you may get some pull left, but other than that you are good. This may not be true of all shops, but I've heard of it here in Maine. If you want it straight then tell em to make it straight.
  13. B

Steering Pull After alignment

Radium is your truck actually pulling or is your steering wheel not centered? There is a difference. A pull means when you let go of the wheel your truck doesn't go straight (doesn't matter if the wheel is centered). This is controlled by caster and some shops will indeed put more caster on the...
  14. B

JoshC's SAS #2

Very true, you get the frame ends of the links closer together and it'll go to crap quick as it approaches being in affect a radius arm.
  15. B

JoshC's SAS #2

Kirby, good point on the parallel links...This usually is mostly a logistics issue, mounting the equal length parallel links on the frame end...though doable obviously. Radius arms are the opposite story as you said, crazy bind built in and remedied by wristing or a single link on one side...if...
  16. B

JoshC's SAS #2

Froader, you are right. I went into autocad and played around and in the most common situations (upper link shorter than lower) the path is actually very similar in bump and droop. Still won't be exact, but not nearly as dramatic as what I thought would happen.
  17. suspension

suspension

18. B

JoshC's SAS #2

Kirby is totally right on this one. A 4 link or dual radius arm setup (on solid, not TTB) has bind built into the suspension. A 3 link like redranger posted or JoshC posted (well 1 radius arm and 1 link is basically a 3 link) is ideal because 1 side controls the arc of the axle while the other...
  19. B

34x10.5

I'd imagine they'd fit fine. BFG makes 33x10.5s in their ATs and MTs as well. I run those on my 92 with only 4" of lift in front. Its the wide tires that really make for fitment problems.
  20. B

Barack Obama linked 2nd gen. SAS

The standard brakeline is an SAE 45* double flare. At least I'm pretty sure its SAE, but you won't get them confused with JIC and AN when you're talking brakelines to a parts counter guy. Ford has been known to use what is refered to as a bubble flare as well on the master cylinder end, this...
  21. B

Very cool. By the way...what is the lift height/ride height going to be at when you are done, any idea?
  22. B

IZ, I'm curious why you think the independent links will flex more than the radius arm/link setup. I'm not really sure, but it seems like there is one less axle/frame connection that will bind. Also the range of motion of any 1 bushing/heim isn't any greater with the radius arm setup, so I...
  23. B

Have you thought of doing a radius arm setup. A radius arm would basically do what you are trying to do and would be easier to design in terms of mounting points. It'd be a little cheaper as well and you'd have a chance to make it more robust. It's basically the same design except your links...
  24. B

Is the front going to be suspended by air shocks only? If so is your truck going to see any road time or will it be a trailer queen. I read an article recently in Petersen's about air shocks and the conclusion was that they aren't ideal for street action, especially in a heavy vehicle (anything...
Back