Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. L

Windows Refuse to Function, Running Out of Ideas

It could be a broken wire in the door flex. Sometimes the wire breaks but the insulation is still intact. In that case power can still jump the break. Try holding the switch down while moving the door to see if it works intermittently. If not check power at switch and if no power check before...
  2. L

97 AWD, Bang/Clunk under acceleration or gear shift from front end. HELP!

Sounds like the chain in the T/C jumping teeth. The noise can sound like the front axle as it carries through the front driveshaft. At least pull the drain plug and look for metal shavings. It should be obvious if it's the T/C.
  3. L

I think it's the A4LD blues?

The modulator is correct and yes the kickdown cable is working properly. I have been searching the sticky governor symptoms and you're right, it always points to a 1-2 shift issue I guess I was just wishing. Does the governor only affect the 1-2 shift? I'm driving it to work tomorrow so...
  4. L

It's been about 8 months since I did the shift kit and other work on the tranny and the 2-3 shift flare just got better on it's own. At this point it shifts great, nice and firm. However my wife says when it's cold out the tranny feels like it goes into neutral at the first stop. she puts it in...
  5. L

I haven't given up on it yet but I've been working 12's and it looks like it'll be 7 days a week for awhile so that's bad for the A4LD in two ways. First and most obvious is that I have no time to tinker with it, and B, with all the extra money and it'll be alot I may quit screwing around with...
  6. L

Brake pad upgrade

If you think the rear brakes are not working properly then that should be your main concern. No matter what pads you use they will wear fast if the rear isn't working or is way out of adjustment. I would suggest pulling the drums to make sure everything looks ok and if it's all good I would...
  7. L

Front driveshaft removal?? Grrr!!

Some have wax from the factory, I can't remember if the explorers do but if they do it is wise to use heat or you'll likely end up with a bent yoke. If it is wax filled you'll see a small nub sticking out that just looks like plastic. If not just use a bench vice with a socket to press it out...
  8. L

I haven't done the gas pedal mod as I wasn't aware of it until now. What I was talking about is the instructions that come with the transgo shift kit. It says you must do it their way which is far different from the standard way, I put the just of it in my last post. I see what you are talking...
  9. L

On the band adjustment I did go with the transgo instructions, I pulled the driveline for better feel and tightened the adjuster until the output shaft wouldn't then backed it off until it would turn then another 3/4 turn. I adjusted the kickdown cable according to transgo instructions also...
  10. L

Thanks again wood, I appreciate all the searching and links I will read through 'em slowly so I don't miss something. I was wondering about the modulator pin so I pulled it back out this evening and it seemed fine, no big deal since it only took 10 minutes to R&R the modulator. I knew I...
  11. L

low mile/old tire. Ok to use?

No problem, it also helps that he left them in those plastic bags.
  12. L

low mile/old tire. Ok to use?

If it's a good deal and they don't have visual dry rot than you should be just fine with them. You said they sat in storage so I wouldn't expect dry rot as that's caused by sitting out in the weather and the sun. One other thing to really look for is a seperation, which is what happens when the...
  13. L

naasau- It doesn't stop it from shifting, it just locks up in 3rd. I don't know if you read through the whole thread but I don't use OD, I always keep it in D unless I'm doing 70 which is rare. I remember reading on this site that the a4ld only locks up in OD. I know it's locked up because I can...
  14. L

So can anyone confirm if it's normal for the converter to lock up in 3rd?
  15. L

Negative on the torque sequence, I have to be honest, I didn't use a torque wrench I used a nut driver and I alternated as tightening. Just remember that my issue has not gotten worse just a little better if anything. I have a good feel for the amount of torque I apply. I did stop by harbor...
  16. L

Servos are correct it just stuck until I drove it, that is ok now. No, manually shifting doesn't change anything, I wish it did. No worries, you've been great, and given me solid advice. many thanks. Couple questions, Is it normal for the converter to lock-up in 3rd? If it shifts from...
  17. L

93 ford Explorer Transmission

No they're different lengths, at least mine were. I didn't mix them up though. Tranny shop said I could use stiffer springs for a firmer shift I just grabbed the receipt and I was wrong on pricing. servo piston ATC56902AE- $10.89 servo piston ATC56902AG- $12.35
  18. L

I just went to a local tranny shop and they had the servos in stock, I just had to get the code off the servo covers to assure the right size. Mine was AB for the OD servo, the INT was BB. I think it was 20$ per servo and o-ring.
  19. L

Mine was the same, I just tapped it with a rubber mallet a couple times and the spring finally pushed it out. I think the jarring action helped free it. I don't know if you have enough room or not, I have a 2" BL.
  20. L

Really, is that possible for the governor to act up only on the 2-3 shift? That would be reassuring. I expected it to shift hard since I drilled everything to the max but it's firm it feels good in all other gears I like it.
  21. L

Another thing, when I was installing the new int. servo I pushed it in to install the snap ring and it stayed in about a 1/4", I just figured it would pop back out where it's susposed to sit after driving. I forgot about when adjusting the bands and I did as the tranny shop does theirs at 1.5...
  22. L

Well I got it all done and no dice. Still have to lift foot it for the 2-3 shift:frustrate. I'm a little stumped now. I did everything in the transgo kit except for the new low/reverse servo spring and I drilled all the holes at the largest size. All other gears shift nice and firm. Could...
  23. L

Thanks hotrod, I would appreciate the tsb# I used to work at a chevy dealer and we could get tsb's for any make which I suspose you can too. I have a couple reasons why I don't want to leave it like that first is the fact that I like firm shifts and secondly which is also the biggest reason is...
  24. L

Well I just got home from work and on the way I stopped and picked up all my goodies so now it really begins. I also bought an in/lb torque wrench so I know it will be tightened correctly. I wish that I could find a torque sequence chart for the V/B but it'll be fine. Using a motorcycle...
  25. L

After seeing how your filter is mounted Albino I like it and will mount one for sure. My only concern was what filter it took and knowing It's the standard filter ford has used for decades it wont be a problem finding a replacement. I also like the 'A' pillar pod so it's easy to see the temp...
Back