Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. S

2002 4.0l what trailer weight can a SAFELY Tow

If I am towing a camper there will be hills. I will be in the Missouri Ozark region not huge Mountains or anything but there are some hills. I will only be doing this about a dozen times or so times a year. Do I need to make adjustments for the hills? At the most a 3.5 hour pull once a...
  2. S

2002 4.0l what trailer weight can a SAFELY Tow

I looked up in the owners manual what the specs are for my explorer and they seem to be lofty to me. 2002 Explorer, 4 door, 4X4, 3.73 gears (D4), Automatic Transmission, Factory towing package with 2" receiver hitch, factory trailer brake hook up. Here is what the owners manual told me...
  3. S

What is my towing capacity 02 3.73 4.0l

The chart only went up to 2001 and I done a few searches and came up conflicting numbers. I went to the ford fleet sight to look at the owners manual (which I should have done in the first place) it stated Maximum GCWR 10,000lbs Trailer weight range 0-5380lbs. With anything over...
  4. S

What is my towing capacity 02 3.73 4.0l

Getting ready to buy me a camper and I am wondering what my towing capacity is. Here are the specs: 2002 4.0L Auto tranny 3.73 Gears (D4) Factory 2" hitch with factory trailer brake hook up. I no there are some variables as far as how much weight is in the vehicle while towing...
  5. S

Latest PCM Upgrade 1U7A-12A650-GMB for the 2002-2005 4.0L SOHC

It did make the idle smoother but not perfect but it has 145,000 miles. I had just had my tranny rebuilt about 3 months ago and it did change the shift points some and made the shifts smoother. One thing I did notice that I really wasn't expecting it added some hesitation when I floor...
  6. S

When you mat the gas at highway speed does it shift once twice Need help ASAP

I have had ford update my firmware for $45 and the problem still is there, if it is a problem. I live in the bootheel of Missouri. The Transmisson shop owner says there isn't a problem, he said it had to do with what the computer tells the transmission to do. The shop is considered one...
  7. S

If I am drive on flat ground the transmission does what I put in the orginal post. The shop that done the rebuild says there is nothing wrong with it and it is the computer deciding what gear is best but it seems like every since we got our explorer at about 32,000 miles if you matted it at...
  8. S

At 55mph if you floor the gas does your explorer kick down into passing gear in one shift or does it shift once and add about 1000rpms give or take then shift again into the lower gear. The reason I ask is that I had my Tranny rebuilt and mine will shift once bring the rpms up about 1000 and...
  9. S

Noise with Vibration in what sounds like the front end need some advise

That is what I planed on but I know the rear hub bearings are know to fail alot of the time. My Explorer has 141,000 miles on it and other than the one I changed the other day they have never been touched I do have some rear end noise which got better when I went to the heavier weight gear...
  10. S

I decided to go ahead and replace the other front hub assembly and both rear hub and bearings. Parts should be in next week. Well post on how it goes.
  11. S

2002 4x4 4.0L Explorer Automatic When I get up to around 25 mph and turn my wheel slightly to the left and have a roaring type noise with a little vibration. It does the same at higher speeds. And it doesn't matter if it is 4x4 auto, 2wd or 4X4 high. What makes the sound go away is...
  12. S

Found some plastic from timing chain guides in oil pan need advise

Anyone want to wiegh in on this??????????
  13. S

Latest PCM Upgrade 1U7A-12A650-GMB for the 2002-2005 4.0L SOHC

I am getting mine flashed tomorrow. They told me $45 at the dealer. I am getting a very good price it looks like since everyone else seems to be paying around $100
  14. S

Found plastic in my oil pan Need advice!!

2002 Explorer XLT 4.0L 4X4 Well today I decided to take the bottom plate off the oil pan just to see if there was any metal or plastic in there and you guessed it there was some plastic though not very much. less than 1" sqaure if you put all the peices together and looks like it came off...
  15. S

Found some plastic from timing chain guides in oil pan need advise

2002 Explorer XLT 4.0L 4X4 Well today I decided to take the bottom plate off the oil pan just to see if there was any metal or plastic in there and you guessed it there was some plastic though not very much. less than 1" sqaure if you put all the peices together and looks like it came off...
  16. S

Question about passing gear down shift

2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0L 4X4 auto tranny with the brown wire mod on the auto 4X4. I had my tranny rebuilt about 4 months ago and have about 9000 miles on it, the shop that done it gave me an 18,000 mile warranty. When I floor the gas the tranny feels like it shifts and goes up about...
  17. S

Is my Tranny kicking down into passing gear right???

2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0L 4X4 auto tranny with the brown wire mod on the auto 4X4. I had my tranny rebuilt about 4 months ago and have about 9000 miles on it, the shop that done it gave me an 18,000 mile warranty. When I floor the gas the tranny feels like it shifts and goes up about...
  18. S

I think I have a CV Joint bad need help

I ended up adding a 4oz bottle to mine along with another pint of 75-140 Val. full synthec limited slip through the ABS sensor. I read in another thread that you are suppost to fill it where it runs out the fill hole and put the fill plug back in and add another pint through the abs sensor...
  19. S

replacing timing chain???...Costs???

I thought I had the same problem. At 2500rpms give or take I had something that sounded like a spark knock but it was different. Which is what the TSB for the timing chains says will happen. My valve cover gaskets where leaking so I pulled the plentum noticed I had an air leak on 2 of the...
  20. S

I done that about a year ago but I use Valvine full syn. limited slip 75-140. I didn't add any friction modifier because it said it was already in it. Should I have added the extra friction modifier?
  21. S

I have a stock 2002 Explorer XLT 4 door 4X4. I have changed both rear and the front U Joints. I also have the brown wire mod and it makes no difference if it's in straight 2wd or auto 4X4. When I turn my Explorer to the left like taking off at a stop sign and turning left it feels...
  22. S

How hard is it to remove plenum? Vavle cover leaking on Drivers side

My valve cover gaskets I ordered comes with new grometts also which I am assuming is the peices you are talking about? Other than getting to the bolts/screws on the plenum the job looks pretty straight forward, but my consern is getting the plenum off and back on without messing something up.
  23. S

02-03 engine has RED injectors. My '04 has white..

Not tring to high jack your thread but I have a question you might could answer. If your engine was a 4.0L how hard is it to remove the plendum??? Any tips on making it easier? I have to change my valve cover gaskets and I am also going to remove the injectors and give them a good cleaning.
  24. S

How hard is it to remove plenum? Vavle cover leaking on Drivers side

Parts delayed until Tuesday. Anyone got any tips or info on removing the plentum?????
Back