Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. S

Looking for suggestions on what shock absorbers to use on my 96 xl

KYB Gas-A-Just. They are high pressure monotubes, better technology than the regular low pressure dual tubes, same like Bilstein. Also, the V8 engines have a 5th shock at the rear axle (axle damper).
  2. S

Which gear ratio? AWD front differential swap.

Drove like that and you just damaged the TC viscous coupler - the silicon fluid is baked into a solid piece, no more differential function between front and rear axle. You can't put back the front shaft without replacing the VC, or it will always vibrate and eat tires.
  3. S

How much is it worth?

Any Explorer with more than 150K miles that is NOT a 5.0L (and with the 4R70W transmission) is not worth more than $1000 IMO. And if is SOHC, with the 5 speed, it's probably not even worth that.
  4. S

1999 explorer fan blower problem

In the fuse block. See the owner manual. If you don't have one: https://owner.ford.com/tools/account/how-tos/owner-manuals.html I am convinced that is not the fuse, and even if so, fuses NEVER "blow" for no reason, something else will be causing that. The manual controls have a resistor network...
  5. S

Bought a '96 V8 AWD, I have a few questions..

-What kind of oil/maintenance does the AWD transfer case/viscous coupling thing need? Drain/refill with Mercon V (see in the manual). Same for front diff. -3rd brake light doesn't work.. any usual suspects as to why? All of the other 4 Explorers I've owned the 3rd brake light has always worked...
  6. S

Transmission pan

I have linked the source on my post above. And yep, mine it's a 4R70W too. And no, I won't pay Ford for something that they should have provided in the first place. My Hyundai's (Sonata and XG350) have a transmission drain plug. However, it's stupid for Ford to do that to their customers, like...
  7. S

Transmission pan

Replaced the transmission pan with a drain-able one on my Ford Explorer. WTF Ford, why didn't you provide a drain bolt like any other manufacturer?
  8. S

98 Eddie Bauer decision

If you can't work on an older car, just don't buy it. Especially when is already neglected, it might need some sweat to get back in shape. The bad news is that it is a V6. Those engines and transmissions are known weak links.
  9. S

Differential Shock Absorber

^ @Koda - It's not pressurized (because is designed for horizontal mounting it has a special "cell" structure).
  10. S

TRANSFER CASE BORG WARNER 4405 - CONTROL TRACK

Make an accout on: http://www.fordparts.com After that you can input your VIN number and look for parts. There is also a plug-in that will allow you to print exploded views with part numbers.
  11. S

Beware of new tensioners on older motors

I researched before online about Explorers... That's why I bought mine with the V8 engine. Still messed up because of the rust on it, but I guess that's a lesser evil.
  12. S

Bouncing suspension

My swaybars where broken too, replaced them with Moog ones, plus the actual bar bushings where shot. Read sway links where garbage too on mine. They do a lot for side-to-side control and for the bumps on road that affect one side only (right or left). Also, mine had the 5th shock too, that...
  13. S

New Brake Booster, MC and lines were bleed, but brakes still feel soft or spongy.

I have a similar issue in my 2002 Sable, but maybe different. New break pads, changed the MC, bleed the system (flushed a whole 32oz bottle), including the ABS using the Forscan software. When engine is running (boosting the brake force), if I press the pedal it goes to a point where it kind of...
  14. S

Expected MPG on a 1998 V8 AWD

My 2001 V8, in busy traffic, gets 14-15MPG. On highway gets 20MPG at 65MPH, but drops towards 17-18MPG at 85MPH (it's a flat faced brick, so air resistance is high at those speeds). AC on or off makes very little difference on highway. I have new hubs on front, new U-Joints and CV on the drive...
  15. S

Rear differential - seal replacement

No, I meant from the aspect of that synth gear oil that is not listed as fully LS but "top off compatible". Should I drain some and add LS additive? I don't hear any suspicious noises in turns, I drove it in circles just to check. It was loud before, so yes, probably the level dropped to below...
  16. S

AWD vibration and noise

PS: The shaft length is measured between welds. I had a diagram on my thread, linked above.
  17. S

Stupid question. I topped off with 75W-140 Super tech from Walmart. Full Synthetic. Because I had lost previously fluid, it took more than expected - 1 1/2 qt. Well, the online Walmart 75W-140 looks like this (and has listed LS applications on the specs): Mine has a different color label...
  18. S

KYB was the original sourced shock when the truck left the factory?

Definitely OE was not a Monroe. However the OE where dual tube shocks. I have installed KYB Gas-A-Just because they are monotube shocks and the advantages and ride quality of those type of shocks are not disputed today - all the high end SUV/Crossovers use monotubes at this point. PS: KYB has a...
  19. S

Front caliper pins.

I seldom open the valves. The brake fluid flushing can be done at any later time.
  20. S

Front caliper pins.

I always clean the pins and use synth brake lube. But... I never use locktite on my bolts and they never back out - if torqued at the right value! Also, putting the pads back without compressing a little bit the cylinders might be tough. PS: I did probably 100 brake jobs by now (my cars, my...
  21. S

AWD vibration and noise

Hmm, I though that only 4x4 had that setup.
  22. S

I finished the job. Replaced the flange too with the one in Dorman kit. The original one it had a small scoring mark, not deep to hang my nail into, but still... The seal came out very hard, the metallic surround was rusted on the differential body, so I had to go and buy a proper seal remover...
  23. S

Thank you guys! I did buy the Dorman Kit, it was $24 with online order and a code from retailmenot. I'll see how the original flange looks, make sense that it might have a groove after 15 years and 155k miles. I just hope that the bearing doesn't have any play. In one the videos the guy said...
  24. S

4R55E OBD transmission fluid temperature sensor

Use Forscan - it does do the ABS codes. It's free for Windows (laptop), less than $5 for phone. http://forscan.org/download.html
  25. S

Thanks. Another question: Why does Dorman sell a kit with the seal, nut and the flange? http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/dorman-oe-solutions-differential-yoke-including-seal-and-pinion-nut-697-507/10097714-P What can go wrong with the flange?
Back