Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. J

Please Help, Transmission Problem

Recently, as of the last winter blast, my explorer started acting strange at higher speeds. Somewhere between 50-60 mph when attempting to accelerate the engine revs, sometimes as high as 4000 rpm the car just lethargically accelerates. I scanned the OBD II and it doesn't throw any transmission...
  2. J

1997 4x4with 5r55e issues

Recently, as of the last winter blast, my explorer started acting strange at higher speeds. Somewhere between 50-60 mph when attempting to accelerate the engine revs, sometimes as high as 4000 rpm the car just lethargically accelerates. I scanned the OBD II and it doesn't throw any transmission...
  3. J

Turn off cigarette lighter w/ Key?

I doubt they installed any option to do that from the factory. But it strikes me that the easiest way to make it work like that would be to install a normal automotive style relay in-line with the circuit(s) supplying the lighter plugs and power outlets. Then simply wire the coil of the relay to...
  4. J

Backup lights keep blowing fuses.

thanks, I'm almost totally convinced that was the problem, and the solution. Tonight I went out and pulled the column apart as you described, located the wire, and sure enough I could see the copper strands exposed right where the wire runs across the cast aluminum shift mechanism. Otherwise...
  5. J

Backup lights keep blowing fuses.

I'm having the exact same problem on my 97 Explorer. I have yet to find the issue. I've been pouring over wiring diagrams and checking anything I can think of on the car, still have not found the issue. On mine it controls all of the above listed as well as the auto-locks when the car starts...
  6. J

How many miles??

I have 209,888 on my 91 Ranger 2wd 3.0 V6 5spd, I've owned it since 2002, bought with 107,000 has been a daily driver since. Nothing major, just normal repairs, nothing rebuilt. The 96 Explorer has an estimated 167,000, bought in 2008 with 147,000 odometer quit shortly after. again nothing...
  7. J

Ethernet Jack?

It's an interesting rj-45 jack too. I was going to repurpose it for something else and plug an ethernet cable into it just as a breakout. I found out its actually 10 conductors rather than 8. I also did some looking and many cars were fully wired with analog phones. They could be answered on the...
  8. J

'97 with little no heat

Update: Now have heat, works great. I got the doorman blend door repair kit, cheap only $12, it comes with everything to do it properly assuming you pull the airbox out of the dash. Given the current weather and my apartment living situation, removing entire dash was not really a practical...
  9. J

2000 Explorer blows #26 fuse HELP!!!!

blown fuse also-not sure if its same issue Hey all, I have a similar situation on my 97 XLT. I keep blowing I think #26 that supplies backup lights, over drive and 4x4 shift, that I can tell. Everything else seems to work properly, replaced shift motor last week, it was burned out I know...
  10. J

'97 with little no heat

I replaced the bypass valve and checked/topped off the coolant. No leaking now, but heat still the same. I think it's the blend door, I'm not looking forward to that, but it must be done. Right now I don't have enough heat, but I know soon I'll have too much so a proper fix needs to be done...Meh.
  11. J

keep blowing fuse-backup lamps

For some reason I keep blowing the fuse that supplies the backup lights, shift motor and O/D I think. I'm not sure why, I thought it was because of a messed up wire going to the shift motor. Today I fixed the wires on the shift motor, replaced the fuse, everything worked for a few minutes and...
  12. J

'97 with little no heat

temp gauge Yeah I'm pretty sure I got the right sender unit. As I understand it, there are two, one is a sensor unit, one wire, just left of the water neck. Thats the one that supplies the dash gauge. Thats also the one I replaced. I see another to the right of the water neck, which appears...
  13. J

'97 with little no heat

I just bought a great '97 XLT to add to my ever growing collection of Explorer/Rangers. It has a few issues I need to address. Currently it puts out moderate heat, at first I thought it was a thermostat because the temp was staying cool on the gauge. More like not rising at all. I've come to...
Back