Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. R

Check Engine Light: P0171 & P0174

Since this was dug up from the grave recently.....did anyone have any issues with upper RPM running with the same codes ? I have a 99 Xploder 5.0L I have the same issues, also had a code that I thought was for a gas cap. Put a new cap, code never left. Just put another new cap and cleared codes...
  2. R

Factory Recall

Old post, but I never got the recall done and my cruise still works, and I hardy if ever use it. Now, the truck looks like its been in several accidents....I might want a fire now ;) But I might also run and get this recall done finally on my 99X. Had the same recall done on my 01 Windstar...
  3. R

Rear LS diff issues

The 330xi is AWD, and he's running a 205 width tire. I'm running a 235/75/15 LOAD RATED, 80K mile warranty tire. While the tread is somewhat HARDER than most tires, its got fine traction going straight. There's just no 'lugs' for going off road, and on top of that, its only 2wd. I think my X...
  4. R

Rear LS diff issues

Thanks. I didn't get an owners manual when I bought it (used)....but I managed to print out some info on fuses and vehicle specs once. Haven't had any 'traction' issues since then, just the ABS light on now. :rolleyes:
  5. R

96 Explorer Sport problem, is it my fuel pump?

Maybe pressure regulator or some trash is in the fuel rail or the injectors need cleaning ?? Did you check your fuel pressure with it running ?
  6. R

Rear LS diff issues

33 views and no comments ? None of you guys get stuck and break parts trying to get out ? :p: Hell, I went thru 3 trans's in my wife's 89 Ranger 4x4 with 33" tires on it :D THEN the transfer case..... But nothing else....til I wrecked it, let it sit for almost 2 years, then rebuilt it and...
  7. R

96 Explorer Sport problem, is it my fuel pump?

I'd replace the fuel pump BEFORE you're stranded. Just make sure the tank is pretty empty before hand ;) Yeah....I had to toss over 12 gallons of varnished/gummed up fuel from my tank. Glad the filter caught it all. If the tank is nasty, get it professionally cleaned (H.D. truck radiator shop...
  8. R

explorer towing

I was told about this some years back....when I wanted to rent a full car trailer from UHaul.....the liability issues and they blamed it on the suspension. :rolleyes: So I went back with a Durango. Idiots would rent me an enclosed, dual axle trailer to tow with my WINDSTAR van, but not my X...
  9. R

Rear LS diff issues

99 Ex 5.0 2wd.....there ya go. I got into some soft clay soil on an incline and got stuck. Spent a good 2 hrs fighting to get it out, logs, boards, wood, anything under the tires to get it up the hill. Eventually, my dad pulled me out with his lil Nissan....lol. But while this was going on....I...
  10. R

2nd Gen Shock installation write up - All four corners

My 99 Ex has the 'stem' stock shocks on it as well, and its a 2wd. Been contemplating changing them all at 110K miles now. Even the 5th shock, but those are (from a couple years ago research) expensive. They have the 'shock tower tool' for those single post shocks. If you can't get them out...
  11. R

I think I need to replace my power steering pump? (Video)

I'm still with you on the fluids myself.....;) As far as parts, besides the the one Ford specific site mentioned before, I can usually find 90% of what I need at www.rockauto.com. Or hit up your local parts store, but look for your FoMoCo branded or A/C Delco or Motorcraft labeled parts. Last...
  12. R

I don't want you to think I'm arguing with you CDW, but what makes PS fluid 'better' for PS than ATF ? You can even use brake fluid in you PS if you have to. (just not the other way around) As far as press/bolt on pullies, I can't help on the year break, but just a pulley look-up (Rock Auto)...
  13. R

It was a rather easy job on my 99 5.0L. I had all the tools, it was just some mess from leaky fluid....and my mess up pressing the gear back on. When i get the urge to do it (or I need to change the belt again) I'll fix it and hope it doesn't squeal. It kinda did before, but I suspect it was...
  14. R

1997-01 v-8 5.0 ticking noise under load - EGR Tube identification-part number

I know its got one of the strongest 5.0L's made. Trans just ended up being a 'bonus' thanks to Ford. I've towed a Camaro from Cali to Pa w/o any issues (other than my rear springs hanging low)....and just maintenance items. I replaced the trans fluid last year finally....and figure in the next...
  15. R

Driver Side Door Lock Problems!!

Similar problem myself....but to add to it - I've noticed the pop rivits on both front doors are 'broken'....and the keyless won't lock it (neither will driving it). And the keyless won't unlock the driver door either. ( I have similar issues with my 01 Windstar, so I assume its a Ford issue...
  16. R

I've changed mine - on a 99 5.0L - and my suggestion is to MEASURE the distance the pulley is on the pump, and use some reference. The pulley is pressed on, and if you don't put it on the same distance, you will have issues with your belt coming off. Right now, mine is like 3/8" too far...
  17. R

1997-01 v-8 5.0 ticking noise under load - EGR Tube identification-part number

If you guys can, post up pix of the failed parts, that way we all know what we're looking at. I too have a tick, and mine sounds like its from the driver side though. 99 5.0L 2wd/4dr 105K on the clock. :) I'm happy I just got rid of the suspension squeak I had all winter (lots of spray...
  18. R

Who's in NJ? Where?

Yo....PA in a house....lol. But I'm across from Trenton, so its cool. I got parts off of sk1er17 (front fenders) when he went to glass fenders (before he went Cheby - took you long enough...lol). Mine sat for 3 years in the driveway waiting for a revival - which it got in Feb this year after...
  19. R

99 5.0L 'lurching' on acceleration

Further update...... 5/14/07 Have had absolutely NO problems since I got the tank professionally cleaned and washed out. I reinstalled the 3 week old fuel pump with a new sock (filter). Some fresh gas and some time to prime, I went and hit the shrader valve ont he intake to check for...
  20. R

4 April Update: Got a call that my gas tank was done at the local radiator shop. They do HD industrial and commercial radiators for Heavy Equipment/swamp coolers/A/C units....etc.....a friend turned me onto them after he had similar problems with a Jeep tank (his had a deteriorating internal...
  21. R

Shudder around 40mph

Dunno....After seeing so much 'crap' in the tank, I'm going to see if the local radiator shop can cut it open, power wash it, and then weld it back up reasonably priced for me (I had a friend that mentioned this to me cuz he had it done to a buddy's Jeep at this place). I'll find out...
  22. R

Shudder around 40mph

Well....after the other day's drivability issues....I decided to drop the tank. OH BOY.... Besides it being about almost full, I now have 2 - 5 gallon buckets of what SMELLS like gas, but looks like muddy water. There was so much CRAP that was in the tank, that I was pulling it out by the...
  23. R

Current Update: :thumbdwn: OK....this thing goes on.....wife had mentioned it happened upon initial accelleration fomr a stop to a slow speed, but the jump and lurch and surge was still there. I had that crap happen to me today....like it was out of gas. Now, I limped it to a gas...
  24. R

Shudder around 40mph

Excellent. I didn't know these converters had drains on them. That's an added plus in my book. :D :thumbsup: I guess that pretty much makes it dead nuts easy in my book to change it up. They sell the Mercon V in gallon containers ? Much appreciation for the tech KLW. You're A-O-K in my...
  25. R

Shudder around 40mph

OK...I gotta ask...maybe there's some way I don't know....but how do you changes the fluid AND filter and still change the fluid in the converter WITHOUT wasting a ton of fluid ?? I have ALL WEEKEND to do this....and what do you all recommend for a drain plug ?
Back