Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. R

Help me Identify Road Noise. bearing or tires?

Jack up the front end and spin each wheel by hand(pull the calipers off) you may hear it whining on one side, when you get them off its very clear the one that is bad, it will have a grinding sound they should be tight and quiet when spinning by hand.
  2. R

Help me Identify Road Noise. bearing or tires?

Yup wheel hub assembly, changed several over the years in 88 explorer 2003 explorer same proceedure for my 2003 taurus not too difficult there has to be a sticky here. They kinda sound like a plane taking off when they dry out and start roaring...you think it is a tire but much more consistant...
  3. R

How many miles on your 2ND GEN EX?

My 2003 4x4 XLT 4.0 has 112,000 no issues except for a few easy electrical fixes..fuses and junk man this truck is really clean still. I live in upstate NY and very very little rust, just small spots I am cleaning up this spring. My 98 was a rock but this rig is gonna challenge the old...
  4. R

03 explorer 107,000 4x4 question

Ok, so the transfer case for the front wheels is engaged but not under power? I need to watch the fluid level there.. Is there a better way to continue driving like this and still have the option of returning full AWD or 4x4 capabilities? I think there was a thread involving a disconnect on a...
  5. R

4x4 control module gen3

you can unplug the 4x4 fuses both in the engine compartment and under the dash to keep the 4x4 from engaging.
  6. R

03 4.0L Timing Chain Noise?

run synthetic Mobil 1 in it...245,000 on my last 4.0 no problems
  7. R

03 explorer 107,000 4x4 question

I recently had the unfortunate situation of tearing up a tire on my 03 4x4 XLT. I replaced 2 rear tires with snows and had enough funds to replace front brand new, the tires were not exact size match I am trying to buy time here to replace all 4 with the same brand and size...but have discovered...
  8. R

disable 4x4 on 2003

Ok, i promise I have read at least 7 threads on this subect. Is it as simple as pulling a fuse or 2 to disable the 4x4 auto from kicking in until I can afford to replace all 4 tires the same size and manufacturer? Which fuses can I pull? 2003 4x4 xlt I have the book out but am a little...
  9. R

tires mismatched?? help please

I am in the process of replacing tires on my 2003 4x4. The truck has the auto 4x4 and anti lock brakes. I replaced the 2 front tires. The tires on the truck are 245x75 16. I have replaced the 2 front tires now brand new with 245x70 16's. When I now drive the truck I feel the auto 4x4 kicking in...
  10. R

elecrical issue, rear wiper motor 2003 XLT

any thoughts? on this one ....thanks
  11. R

wonder if the battery may have been reduced somehow after getting drained to zero a few times?
  12. R

Hello guys asking for some advice, I recently went to turn on my rear wiper during a rain storm only to have it move 2 inches and freeze up. I thought this was odd and assumed the motor may have froze up, junk in it corrosion what ever. The next day I went to start the truck(2003 4x4 xlt) and...
  13. R

Transmission advice for 03, 97,000miles

I have not had any issues as yet with this tranny. I tow a 16foot boat during summer months and 4x4 often during deer season. Truck is shifting fine currently at 97,000 miles Can anyone offer an opinion on maintenance tobe done at this point? What kind of service should I do to continue...
  14. R

steering shudder issue on o3 explorer

just wrestled on a new wheel hub assembley on the front right of my 2003 4x4. pulled it outta the garage and wheel shuddering like crazy..I was scared to death until I found corkey's response!! thank God for this forum!! thought I was in deep deep wow thanks to all the guys that help out...
  15. R

water pump relacement 98 4.0 sohc

wow, Thanks for all the tips!!! I am definetly going for it, just waiting on another car so I can pull this hog into the garage and get busy. This board is the best, I'll check back in when I get her fixed up:cool:
  16. R

Hi again . I was reading about a water pump "weep hole". could it be leaking from this hole because the thermostat is stuck ?? Thanks hoipng for a response
  17. R

Hello again , I am going to attempt a water pump relacement on my 98 explorer with a 4.0 sohc..240,000 miles. It leaking from around the pump gasket from what I can see. The truck runs hot under load but temp is good any other time. There is a thread with pics and step by step but it look...
  18. R

Trailer lights to 98 explorer please help fast!!

Thanks!! found 2 bad fuses in the side consul fuse box(trailer relay leftandright) by the drivers door. Then the accessory wiring for the trailer relays worked!! hooked the brake and blinker yellow green there and brown spliced into the main brown wire to the running light left side.The hot...
  19. R

Trailer lights to 98 explorer please help fast!!

Hi again guys I have a 98 ford explorer and need to connect the trailer lights for my boat trailer today. It is a 4 way plug wire. I have the turn signals working perfectly. I cannot get the running lights and brake lights to work at the same time? I can connect the running lights to the...
  20. R

Transmission leak

Hi again guys gotta ask the pros a question again. I was under my 98 4x4(229,000miles) tonight and notice tranny fluid kind of sprayed out or it looks like flecks of fluid here and there in front of the tranny pan . Not alot but enough to build and drip off the skid plate as it sweeps back at...
  21. R

Please help!!1998 4x4 VSpeedSensor where is this thing!!

Also..you don't need a new speedometer.its definetly an electronic problem.If the speed o was junk the needle would stick or not move at all..more prevelant on the gear driven speedos.
  22. R

Yes, my speedo was doing the exact same thing..sometimes work for a few miles the stop all together ..on and off for months. I think you should have the codes read, when I did at AutoZone for free, the reading said damaged VSS sensor or wire to sensor. My ABS light was on for 4 years, the wire...
  23. R

REAR LEAF spring SHACKLES

Hey guys, I was reading afew threads on replacing the rear shackles, got a 98 explorer. The shackles wouldn't pass NY State inspection:corroded up like swiss cheese..mad: I just soaked them up with WD 40 and the bolts broke free and created a space I could hammer them back n forth spraying...
  24. R

Guys , found a broken ASB cable on the passenger side. ..re spliced and ALL SET!! speedo works perfect. Did replace the ABS speed sensor on the differential..easy job. For the guy at ADVANCED AUTO:there is NO:mad:gear driven speed sensor on the tranny for the 98s!!! Ready for another 228,000...
  25. R

wiring checked out good. check engine still on and 0500 code for VSS. Could it be a fuse? Where is it located? The ABS light has been on for 5 years. Could the front sensor's be bad? How much is a ABS control module cost to replace. Thanks again!!
Back