Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. M

No dash lights & still no start after new starter installed

It was the #5 50A ignition/starter relay fuse that Streetrod suggested. Thanks! I got the impression my wife and he had already checked that one. Koda, thanks, but I ask that you read things a little closer. He had the large hot wire connected correctly and he up front said he thought he...
  2. M

I was under the impression he had checked most all the fuses. I'll double check this one. Thanks for your reply?
  3. M

The battery was disconnected prior to changing...that's the first thing I asked him, too. Oh, and thanks thanks for your reply. Which large wire are you talking about? Only 3 anyway...red, black, and a small yellow that goes to the small solenoid terminal. You have to pull back the...
  4. M

Hi. Need some electrical expertise. My pop-in-law has a problem with his 98 4.0L SOHC Explorer w/ AT. On Tues, the starter dragged a couple of times, then later it wouldn't turn over at all, no clicking or anything. Battery is practically new, but pulled it & had Adv Auto check it & was good...
  5. M

Installing used transmission question

Thanks everyone for the replies :)
  6. M

I wonder why the Haynes says to mark it before removing it then to align the marks when reinstalling the transmission? Edit: disregard above reply...my tablet didn't update quickly enough for me to see the other comments.
  7. M

BTW, mountaineer made 2/2002, Auto transmission 5r55w
  8. M

Haynes manual says to mark the relationship of the torque converter to the Drive plate, but that's for if I was gonna reinstall the same transmission. so how do I go about getting the torque converter's position correct on the drive plate with the used trannie I'm going to install?
  9. M

Changed spark plugs and now runnings really rough

Yes, maybe cats, but have u checked the ignition coil? I'd go get a spark tester for your type of ignition...it'll tell u if current is even making it to ur spark plugs.
  10. M

At night with the hood light off and car running and as little lights around you, watch the areas where the spark plugs and wires are, if you see little lightning bolts anywhere, then you might need all new wires.
  11. M

'02 Mountie "O/D off" light goin' flashy flashy

OK, I drained the fluid and put an additional 2.5 quarts in it from what I drained out. I have no clue how I was 2.5 quarts low...I did the same procedure both time, except I may have let it idle longer this time. Afterward, I started to drive it, and when it shifted to 2nd the very first...
  12. M

Squealing/Squeaking Noise From Tranny

I can't think of a reason why the O2 sensors would cause the transmission to squeak.
  13. M

If your wires are old, it could be the culprit since you disturbed them. Remove the hood light bulb, if it has one. Crank the truck outside in the dark...the darker the better, so you'll need to remove the hood light bulb beforehand, if it has one. The wires need to be changed if you see...
  14. M

How to remove an inner tie rod end

I used a pipe wrench on my '02 Mountaineer's inner tie rod end. I didn't worry about holding the rack either, but if you can, I'd recommend it just to be on the safe side...don't want to be replacing the rack too.
  15. M

Changing tranny fluid/filter '04 Explorer

If it has one, it may be that you have to turn the torque converter until you see it, but then again if you don't see a round rubber plug then you won't be able to see the TC. I have a round rubber plug on my '02 2-wheel drive Mountaineer. It's toward the front of the transmission on the...
  16. M

Any estimation how long I should let it idle this time so that I'm sure the fluid that's in it is within the correct temperature range before I check it? What if I just wait until the thermostat opens the first time, or will that be too hot?
  17. M

OK, some info she forgot to tell me. The car had been running without the light flashing for awhile prior to and while they read the code. Then, drove it 15 min back to our town, then cut it off to fuel up. It was then that she drove across the street to the drivethru, then pulled out and...
  18. M

OK, the code is P0741. And, here's what happened leading up to finally having a shop hook up & pull the codes today. I was 1st wanting to double check the fluid level, but my wife needed to drive it to a nearby town (10 miles away) today. So, O/D light started flashing 2 minutes into the...
  19. M

Thanks for the reply, PopRichie77. Through a Facebook post, I've got a friend of a friend that has volunteered to pull the codes using his code reader, but he doesn't live that close, so I hate to put him to alot of trouble and I'm hesitant to drive it for fear of doing irreparable damage to...
  20. M

OK, I guess I gave too much info. Let me simplify with this question: How I can get the tranny codes myself? I have laptop and a tablet. Autozone said they couldn’t get tranny codes with their reader. Also, could I have caused a problem by disturbing the tranny's rear speed sensor because I...
  21. M

2002 Mountaineer, 4.0L V6, currently 176k miles (1 owner) Auto Tranny history: - At 80k or 90k miles: I had Big10 change fluid cuz owner’s manual said to. I don’t remember if they changed the filter or not (not 100% sure they changed anything really) - At approx. 160k miles: Had Fluid &...
  22. M

05 Exporer XLT couple problems and questions

When i am driving highway speeds 25+mph there is a "humming, or tire rubbing plastic lightly sound" coming from somewhere. I thing its coming from below, wife says from the back. The used car dealer said it might be a wheel baring on one of the back tires. Ture/False? Help? Probably true...
  23. M

Tranny issue in 04

Gideon01, what were the symptoms of your solenoid pack going out? My "O/D off" light on my '02 Mountie (176k miles) started rapidly flashing yesterday, only about a week after I changed the fluid and filter myself (due to the shifts seeming a little harsh). Also, I saw an older post here on...
  24. M

2003 Explorer rear differential leak.

Thanks AGAIN, that explains the much cheaper price (I was thinking all the '02 Explorers/Mounties had IRS). Oh well, it'll be SKF then for this next project. The current project is I've had the trannie pan off it for 2 days now letting as much fluid drain as possible before I have to put it...
Back